58 pattern kit

stryker

Hi Guys,

I collect 58 Patt kit, Ive got basic web set and i know how to assemble but i have no idea what goes in the kidney pouches and i was wondering if there were any extra pieces of kit that i should get. i was also wondering when the current style of helmet came in to the service i think it might have in the early eighties I'm not sure.

Cheers dudes.

James

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<Snip> i have no idea what goes in the kidney pouches

depends what you are re-enacting. I remember once reading a story from a bloke who got run over by a Centurion (in the Korean War) in soft mud and because he had his mess tins, one in each kidney pouch, flat side next to his body, they spread the weight of the Cent just enough to stop it squashing his kidneys and breaking his back. ISTR Individual Rations were designed to fit inside the two mess tins and stowed thus inside the kidney pouches.

In armour or recce you would eat Composite Rations (4-man or 10-man packs) off a plate, everything being stowed in a vehicle bin.

Some units could get very precious about everybody stowing everything in exactly the same place so that if you picked up the wrong webbing, at least you'd still be able to find everything. But I am sure it was an SOP at the unit or even sub-unit level. In 15/19H nobody ever told me how or where to pack my webbing. Transferred out, was attached to a REME unit and had REME soldiers dictating to all and sundry how to pack webbing. But they never argued with me because I wasn't afraid to answer back.

and i was wondering if there were any extra pieces of kit that i should get. i was also wondering when the current style of helmet came in to the service i think it might have in the early eighties I'm not sure.

There was a complete tranche of new equipment planned for the 1980s, but a lot of it did not reach units until much later. I left in 1989 and never saw a new pattern helmet.

• 3 weeks later...

Newer helmet was a million times better :-D

As for SOP's on kit packing, there were set rules as a crow but once you grew up.... you were left to your own devices :whistle:

As long as you somewhat resembled a member of this man's army ;-)

I never bothered with kidney pouches just w/bottle pouches and some strange yank things I won :dunno: All my non essen kit in the bergan

Never liked the modern type chest rigs etc, you feel like your in a straight jacket... Jack no smart remarks :evil:

As for kidney pouches seem to remember trying to cram socks rat pack hexi boot clean kit and I'm sure there was some other really useful kit that HAD to go :sweat: in

HF :-D :-D

• 2 weeks later...

My experience of '58 webbing is pretty much as already posted, when "grunting" :-(, and carrying one man rat packs, they were stowed in the mess tins in the pouches, other wise it was whatever needed stowing that might be necessary when separated from your bergen. Several people disposed of the kidney pouches in favour of water bottle pouches. Weapon cleaning kit was removed from it's normal tin and stowed in a small web pouch (9mm mag, I believe) between the buckle and left ammo pouch.

I was issued my kevlar helmet @ 1987 but a mate who was previously with 59 cmdo had one @ 85(?).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I presume '58 webbing was developed in 1958 but did it have to wait for Battledress to disappear in the early 1960's before it came in to use or was there a time when it was worn in place of WW2 style webbing with brown '49 Battledress? Any photos anyone?