Clark CA-1 Airdozer restoration

welbike

Here the rest of the welded winch handle (not finished yet), to make the little identations for the clicks, so it stays in or out of the coupling, can best be made by drilling through a bolt (put in a lathe first) that goes in the threaded part of the winch casting, so the drill bit will be guided to the right spot in the handle, later it can be drilled a bit deeper, so only a conical hole will be there, where the spring loaded plunger sits, and holds the handle in position, I will make a drawing with measurements later of this part, that is often missing.

IMG_09167.JPG

IMG_09177.JPG

On the Dodge type Braden winch the little bracket for the spring loaded rod (for the drum brake) is located on the wrong side, it will work that way too, but as I was bizzy welding anyway, I cut it off, and rewelded it to the other side.

IMG_09187.JPG

IMG_35891.jpg

You can see the guide bit with the square ends in the left top corner of the winch bracket (below a better view)

IMG_35901.jpg

IMG_3914_-_kopie.jpg

Here the brake for the drum is added, this is a standard Braden/Dodge part. (linkage I still have to make/find)

Will add to this later,

Lex

• Like 2

So here the tracks fitted, when the adjusters are all the way in, they will slip over the sprocket and idlers quite easily, but as it is still on stands, I had to put a pallet under the tracks to stop them sagging too much, it's a 2 man job!

IMG_40774.jpg

IMG_40863.jpg
And adjusted.

IMG_40925.jpg
Looking good!

More later.

Lex

• Like 6

Ron, it is certainly US made, but mine, as were probably only maybe 5-10 were used by the Brits, so, extremely rare, and maybe one of 2 British used survivors, it's quite nice! but required sooo much effort to restore, it's not even remotely funny! Well, maybe afterwards......  On the picture, the original shipping markings, with CWT. (Centiweight) not a US marking, but typical British.

Lex

DSCN1358 - Copy.JPG

Edited by welbike
additional info

Yes, nice clip, Phil! they are loud though, and driving on paved roads, not comfortable, mine is completely roadworthy, with registration and insurance now, but on the grass it's much better.

Grtz,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, some more pictures, got the decal for the pre-cleaner in, some  antique tractor places in the US sell these, it's the wrong one, but the only one available right now, it should be more oval. I got the Ball glass jar from a friend in Holland.

008.png
From manual.

DSCN29621.JPG
Remains of Donaldson decal.

IMG_51225.jpg
Repro decal.

IMG77.jpg
And fitted, not very happy with it, but will have to do for now.

Alex

DSCN1782.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

More stuff done in December 2017.

IMG_52073.jpg
Got the bonnet/hood a bit better in shape, something heavy must have fallen on the r/h front corner, as very dented, will not use bondo, as it's part of it's history!

IMG_52103.jpg
Also reground welds on fuel tank, and rewelded it, finally not leaking anymore! cost me a lot of time and effort, also added dash, and NOS instruments (all same as Jeep, except switches, they are special, but can be bought NOS, just like the special starter switch, with relative ease), oil pressure guage needs a new line.

IMG_52112.jpg
Hollowed out an old battery case, and bought an Optima 6Volt battery, engine turns over very good with it!

IMG_57622.jpg
Reconditioned and fitted original fuel petcock and filter, so far so good.

Alex

Edited by welbike
  • Like 2

Ron, sorry, here the explanation, and everyone who reads this, please ask questions, I will try to explain!

So, the pre-cleaner, on the airfilter system, was of the centrifugal type, any bigger dust particles settled in the glass jar, so you could see them, and empty it, really works! had to empty the jar twice already! below that is an oil bath filter like on the Jeeps, but different make, the engine breather also was connected to this filter, really well thought out!

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_37~2.JPG

Edited by welbike
additional info
  • Like 1

Ball jars were almost universal for jam makers on American farms so were a very good choice for air pre-cleaners on American farm machinery pre war. They continued in use by all the major US tractor manufacturers for many years. In the UK the equivalent are Kilner jars and I believe that there is a Kilner jar that will substitute for the Ball jar on US tractors.

David

• Like 1