Electric Sand blaster

Surveyor

Question

20 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Richard Farrant said:

You can use which ever medium you require, such as aluminium oxide, glass beads, etc. That would obviously be extra, you cannot blast without a compressor of enough output. Easier to get someone to do it for you .

Richard 

I am thinking that and there is one near work will go and see him next week with the parts

34 minutes ago, Citroman said:

There was some pressure washer that could also have a blasting medium in the water. Could be an option.

Never heard of that will have a hunt tomorrow, I would think the container to hold the grit and the nozzle may be the only things needed to add to a karcher power wash

I found a local company that did the blasting and coating for me on a CVRT drivers seat for £60. I built my own sand blasting setup for £30 (already had the compressor) and it works a treat on small parts, I also got a needle scaler and that works a treat as well. I have hear of the power wash option but dont know anyone who uses it

John

2 hours ago, SirLanceUK said:

I found a local company that did the blasting and coating for me on a CVRT drivers seat for £60. I built my own sand blasting setup for £30 (already had the compressor) and it works a treat on small parts, I also got a needle scaler and that works a treat as well. I have hear of the power wash option but dont know anyone who uses it

John

Thanks for the information, I am not needing much done at any one time, unfortunately I don't have much storage and it's full even after a clear out April last year. I am trying to get a double garage to rent when things should be easier to get these things and work with them. 

Richard 

I have had many and varied experiences with sand blasting, and never heard of an electric sand blaster. The ones that use a pressure washer obviously introduce wet to your freshly blasted surface, which maybe ok for some applications but i would think not for a vehicle restorer. 

I have used a number of blasting service providers, but always found it such a hassle dropping bits off and picking them up. I have a large blasting cabinet and after deliberating about it for several years bought a large contractors pressure pot blaster for larger items. I used to hire a compressor when i needed it, but was recently given a large diesel compressor so am now fully self sufficient for blasting.

If you have someone you can easily drop bits off to, and its all going to be easily transportable bits, my advice would be to use them. If they will apply primer for you so much the better. In my experience, cheap blasting equipment never lives up to expectations and creates more hassle than its worth.

Good luck, Richard

1 hour ago, Scammell4199 said:

I have had many and varied experiences with sand blasting, and never heard of an electric sand blaster. The ones that use a pressure washer obviously introduce wet to your freshly blasted surface, which maybe ok for some applications but i would think not for a vehicle restorer. 

I have used a number of blasting service providers, but always found it such a hassle dropping bits off and picking them up. I have a large blasting cabinet and after deliberating about it for several years bought a large contractors pressure pot blaster for larger items. I used to hire a compressor when i needed it, but was recently given a large diesel compressor so am now fully self sufficient for blasting.

If you have someone you can easily drop bits off to, and its all going to be easily transportable bits, my advice would be to use them. If they will apply primer for you so much the better. In my experience, cheap blasting equipment never lives up to expectations and creates more hassle than its worth.

Good luck, Richard

Many thanks, the bits are parts of stoves and i have used one near work but was thinking of trying my hand but the more i thought about it especially after advice on here, he will be on my list, hopefully next week, 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, Citroman said:

There was some pressure washer that could also have a blasting medium in the water. Could be an option.

It is called Vapor Blasting.  Water & Sand combined in a Cabinet Blaster. When I was at a Major workshops in Warminster. It was used ALL the time on Refurbishing Small Arms & Parts. Prior to phosphating. & then paint spraying & baking in an oven for 30 mins. Then finally an oil dip. this was know as 'The Enfield Finish'. Rock hard & lovely smooth surface protective finish. I had small Jeep parts done in this way back then also! ;) 

Edited by ferretfixer
  • Like 1

Proper vapour blasting is tiny glass beads in water but still requires compressed air.

Water and sand (or some form of grit, as sand is illegal) is just wet blasting and can be accomplished by adding a water injection head onto just about any grit blaster, or a hobby users version is one of these very basic (and cheap) arrangements for fitting onto a pressure washer.

12 minutes ago, Scammell4199 said:

Proper vapour blasting is tiny glass beads in water but still requires compressed air.

Water and sand (or some form of grit, as sand is illegal) is just wet blasting and can be accomplished by adding a water injection head onto just about any grit blaster, or a hobby users version is one of these very basic (and cheap) arrangements for fitting onto a pressure washer.

That's interesting more research for me

Why do you not buy a pedestal mounted , garage   "Spark-Plug"  blaster ,  a simple and probably  £ FREE    DIY modification to the rubber bung where you stick the plug ,  such as a suitable rubber hose , secured (however)  and a https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/power-tools/blow-gun-accessories/kn-r02-100-nozzle-male-size-1-r1%2F4/p/ZT1028626X?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla%2B|%2BPower Tools&utm_term=ZT1028626X&utm_medium=pla_css_4&targetid=pla-394857621778&loc_physical_ms=1006991&dev=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiIz1zafd7gIVFWHmCh2t-Q-XEAQYBSABEgJKsfD_BwE

The  fitting 'experemental'  to determine small hole needed as blasting  - estimate at  1/8"  ,  once sorted - these should case harden with such as Casenite  , or find better cheaper alternative.    I use gun (canister) with compressor(s)  for blasting and the nozzles do wear , as dia. increases , then I couple up another compressor .   Normally  10 to 15 cfm  (FAD) is needed.

appreciate this is an old thread, but hey ho.

never call it a sand blaster then, as mentioned above, you won't make the mistake of using sand as the blast media as that is illegal, even in non commercial / hobby / personal use. (Short cut to silicosis and a slow death)

Always call it grit blasting, then you will think to buy the right stuff: grit, not sand!

attachments to a water pressure washer are, in my experience, rubbish. Too prone to clogging for obvious reasons. 

On 1/16/2021 at 9:02 AM, Surveyor said:

Richard 

They seem to be advertised but when looking at them they don't mention grit, 

The link you supplied I have seen but I think if I am reading it correctly I still need a compressor which I am trying to avoid 

Just got rid of my compressor and am also searching for an electric form of sand or grit blaster,  and having trouble,  as everything seems to be with a compressor and was trying to avoid buying another compressor .... Thanks 

Thanks for this will do some more digging, at the moment I am trying to decide how much I will need a sand blaster, I am beginning to think, apart from the Land Rover, I may just use the sand blaster company near work, don't tell them but the spare office is going to be the paint spray room