Another "What's this?"

AlienFTM

Bear with me. It's an unusual one this one. I just saw Sapper's signature block, reading "Indefatigable", possibly referring to his never being rubber-dicked for fatigues or to a one-time capital ship. It set off a chain of thought.

I was reminded of a conversation at work this morning. One of the lads commented about two huge vehicles by the side of the M275 (visible on Google Earth at grid, I have since determined, 50°49'34.66"N, 1° 5'16.81"W).

"What has this got to do with 'Indefatigable?'" I hear you ask. Indefatigable was a capital ship. In recent times, submarines have come to be thought of as the new capital ship. ("There are two types of vessel at sea: submarines and targets.")

If you have gone to this location in Google Earth (other aerial view applications are available), if you now scroll northwestward a couple of hundred metres across the M275 to 50°49'43.93"N, 1° 5'32.54"W, you will see a derelict submarine. (Actually thinking about it, if you use another application you may not get the same pic, because there were two submarines but one has been dismantled: with another app, they might both be there or both be gone.)

The aforementioned lad addressed the question, "What are those two giant vehicles?" at Jane, who sat next to me. Her husband served on boats, and had indeed served on the boat which is no longer at the second location, having been dismantled.

I then noticed something unusual about the submarine in the picture at the second grid reference on Google Earth, which Jane could not explain.

So. Your starter for 10: What is unusual about the derelict submarine at location 50°49'43.93"N, 1° 5'32.54"W? (Notwithstanding the obvious fact that anything removable has already been removed.)

And your bonus question: Why?

Jane immediately picked up the phone to her husband and asked "Why?" Her husband explained. She thought it would be a great question in the next Software Group UK IT Department Quiz Competition, then she remembered that my team never won without me (we won fairly comfortably in the summer and they got stuffed last month while I was absent for my daughter's wedding) and giving the quiz a question that only I would ever get in a million years was hardly fair to the rest of them.

Go for it.

It looks like the conning tower is not mounted on the centre line of the sub.

The reason is that

a) the captain now doesn't need to walk as far to get ashore

b) the gangway wasn't long enough!!

The conning tower is indeed displaced to one side. Which leaves us with "Why?" (Your answer was wrong, not surprisingly.)

if the conning tower is shifted above deck and the reason is not above deck then something below deck must be taking up the space and offsets the weight of the conning tower , I d guess a weapons system .

Wrong by using the word "weight" but the thinking is very close. And no it isn't a weapons system (apart from the fact that a submarine IS a weapons system).