Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

I think this is right, but I'll check with a thread gauge later. The adjusters are 7/32 x 40 ME (model engineers) The throttle stop screw is also odd....1BA from memory.  Ron

Edited by Ron

• 2 weeks later...

With a spare day I managed to inch forward with the build.
The lightly restored saddle cover is now fitted and most cables now made/laid include the speedo connections.

Finally I have found a lower timing sprocket and chain which is slowly allowing me to finish the engine. 

I shall shortly be looking to make/connect the last of the oil lines, including the rocker feed. It appears that all the oil/fuel pipe connections are BSP threads of various sizes, does that sound correct!

F17065F6-7667-4B0C-9199-8443A5B297D3.jpeg

E0402387-C7EC-425A-B55C-4BEBC4502333.jpeg

683C9CA2-9121-4559-9DBE-6F39CB96C364.jpeg

A2315B1C-5CAB-450F-81CD-1785D91501B2.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Steve. All our panel G3's should have a trip meter and it should be Khaki with a dull chrome bezel. I suspect the center bike in the above picture with a black speedo has probably had a replacement unit.  Ron

11 hours ago, Ron said:

Hi Steve. All our panel G3's should have a trip meter and it should be Khaki with a dull chrome bezel. I suspect the center bike in the above picture with a black speedo has probably had a replacement unit.  Ron

Hi Ron. I believe that post came from Lex 😉

I have fitted a speedo with trip meter to my project, at the time I was unsure of colour so painted it Khaki.

Ha! I'm merely quoting John Tinley, as I was mentioning the black speedo on a post on Andrew Helmsley's G3WO, at FB conversation, but I will delve into the trip thing. there is only one black speedo in my picture though, so maybe John has another picture?

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info

Yes, just changed my text!!  but that doesn't mean all panel tanks had a trip speedo?

Have I opened up a can of worms now? looking through the hundreds of G3WO pictures I see more and more black speedo's and in one of them it looks like the little knob for resetting the trip is visible, see below.

Lex

Iraq 001.jpg

MJ Adams post - kopie.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

Ok, I'll check later (bought another 2 wheeled apliance, that I have to pick up this afternoon!), but going through the pictures, I'd say 10-15% of the speedo's on G3WO's are gloss black, also on a better copy of my first picture the speedo's are darker than the KG3 of the bikes.

Lex

Well I was getting worried Steve. I was thinking that you might have joined a Welsh mail voice choir or something?

BTW, officially there should be a rubber connector in the rocker pipe. #36-G8-E284. I guess because the pipe is strapped to the front tube, they thought a flexi part in the line is necessary?  

All the best. Ron

G3 156.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all for the radio silence, the last month has been super busy with work etc…

Ron I was of under the impression that some of the early panel tanks Matchless G3’s had a single piece rocker oil feed pipe, but I may be totally wrong!🙈

With a few spare hours I have picked up the spanner’s again to get some more tasks completed on the G3. The timing side of the engine is now completed with the drive side just a little way behind with the clutch now finally fitted with the correct bearing race. The primary casing band is a pig of a job to get right and what makes its harder is I think my band is to narrow.

With most of the engine together I have now started to look at the exhaust, more specifically the fitting of it, being reproduction I wanted to ensure it fits correctly before making the brackets and painting it all up.

With most of the time consuming jobs now completed it won’t be long until I start on restoring the tank. That then paves the way to finish the electrics and enjoy! 

66F35319-1C13-4AE0-928F-EEC02275BDDB.jpeg

82B19A6C-5B0D-4FAC-ABC1-DE16867896EB.jpeg

617256F5-21B5-454D-9F94-FB4F5A5FCFD1.jpeg

128FAF08-EE46-4FE3-802E-090854B2D918.jpeg

3AF82007-F4EF-4A05-825E-ADB5857F2359.jpeg

0485D57B-09D7-4E10-A1A7-29405B3CEBFB.jpeg

9F0157FF-7287-4321-AEB4-B96E634EBF90.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Lex!

I shall keep the oil feed pipe one piece for now it’s easy enough to cut it if/when required.

I cant quiet believe how much heavy the G3 is starting to feel in comparison to the G3L……The G3 is a lovely looking bike though!

I’ve decided to replace the later period alloy push rods with the period steel ones so I cannot get the rocker box on properly for the next few days so a little bit of downtime before forging forwards again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, sorry for the delay in the update…….so a few backwards steps needed. Unfortunately I did not take enough links out of the primary chain so when I put it all together the gearbox shaft was rubbing on the inner chain case. 🙈 I have stripped it down to rectify my error but now the rear wheel drive chain is two short and I have lost the links I removed! Whilst I try and source some new links for the chain the correct exhaust clamp has finally arrived so I can get the exhaust system on. Currently most of my time has now been spent on prepping the petrol tank which is slowly coming together…….

FEE3D85F-94D1-475F-8C61-7FBD0A4EB63A.jpeg

BFE64117-83FC-49BF-9A8D-4FA4ACC0CFC5.jpeg

50145245-C8A8-4FBC-8B0A-A3DFEDFFF106.jpeg

8669CFEB-202B-4A7A-9CD5-2864D537D2DD.jpeg

3595C0FE-3EE0-4B76-89DC-7B3ED2FB45C3.jpeg

7A5A027C-0BEB-4A05-92D5-9440A558CA18.jpeg

• Like 1