Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Thanks all.

after piecing the clutch basket and center driver together I am not happy as the bearings appear a little tight and pinching in places. I suspected the central spacer, inside the ring of bearings, has warn slight and needs replacing giving a little more tolerance. With the clutch put to one side I have managed to remedy the warping to the carb block by splitting it from the lower section, heating with a few choice taps with a drift and hammer.

Now that’s sorted I have cleaned it all up and popped it back together. Fully serviced its on the bike and ready to go. The slider and choke feel much smoother but the slider is now not quite as tight as I would like, I will see how it runs and evaluate it from there.

83B9BBD3-1127-49DF-BD2E-C36E3BDFA955.jpeg

3100EF4D-4961-417E-A5DD-D7D4B12999A8.jpeg

3691D053-6F0C-4D27-8B88-7E953A7A9DE0.jpeg

Ok, I have found a Jet block with the hole, but will strip the carb that is on the bike now first, that was done by Martyn, so it will be plugged up already! 

But better make sure the carb is 100% as it's a real pain to remove once the tank is on the bike Steve!

Cheers,

Lex

9 hours ago, Ron said:

Yes that's the one Steve.

Actually Lex when Martyn did mine, he had no idea about this until I gave him a copy of the document.

Ron

Ok, mine was done by him at least 10 years ago, so it will not have it!

Just bead blasted the body, and will assemble soon.

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_2165.jpg

Funnily enough Steve, I recently converted my "two Tap" system back to what it should be by the book. (one tap and a balance pipe.)  I expect Lex will agree that it's not an ideal system, but I wanted the challenge of getting it correct .

Yes it's 1/4" pipe.  Ron

DSCF2951.jpg

DSCF2953.jpg

Edited by Ron

Thanks gents, perfect!

I actually have the remains of now what I believe is the original petrol tap an balance pipe in the remaining ‘spares’ pile. I maybe able to salvage it......

Ron good to see you have some bling on you G3 (the brass inspection cover knurled nuts 😉)

I am currently chasing down my next set of parts to get the engine wrapped up, mainly primary drive change, magneto chain and lower timing sprocket.....

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been a little slow the last few weeks with other non Matchless related jobs needing attention.

I managed to get a few minutes this morning to take a little look at the missing items left for the build and I seemed to have confused myself with the dynamo, magneto and lower timing sprockets. Currently I am one sprocket short which originally I thought was the lower timing one, but now I am not so sure, maybe I have fitted them incorrectly?

804F0BB6-9FF9-474C-A79E-DE4A3C6B7C6A.png

2DD9EAB1-A516-4B09-ABFA-76C2E2F5991D.png

D32C5FFB-E042-46B3-9159-6E3A28B19EB3.png

Well Steve, the mag chain sprockets will be the same size and teeth and the dynamo sprocket should have a slot for a key on the shaft.  They all have different part numbers so the mag sprockets will have some difference between upper and lower.  Ron

A few more bits on order, hoping to get the primary side back together in the next week of so. A few other bits and pieces done but progress has slowed up since I started marathon training 😬

A small anorak question, what size/ thread are the carb control cable adjuster nuts? They seem quite Peculiar  to me…..

BCCA28EF-6EBF-44A2-AC2F-1315D1A67ADB.jpeg