Bedford TK

commander

You either love 'em or hate 'em. I love them, good one realistically £2000. Check for rust in cab, and state of brakes, the cylinders are quite hard to get but can be re lined by Pastparts. Best option really. check how it steers. They either steer well or they don't and if the don't you'll never cure it. The disiel is very much one speed, you get plenty of time to admire the view. TK should be 4x2 MK is 4x4.

I learnt my trucking on TK's a lot ended up as horseboxes. There was a version used for tipping with a two speed axle also petrol versions and by C*** they would go! Got told off for doing 75 mph in one once. I also got a fantastic deal on a 2 sped rear axle, bloke had had it converted at mega cost to a horse box, but it would only do 30mph and screamed the guts out, gear box is gone. I went and looked at it with my boss. We drove it and sure enough 30 and a lot of noise. So my boss wasn't intrested, I persuaded him to buy it for £200, drove it round the corner, flicked the lever to high ratio and off we went. It is nice to get one over on a complete idiot with more money than sense. :evil:

We still have our TK , parked up in the yard & retired now with a pretty constant stream of pikeys coming in wanting to buy the old girl . These days it seems pretty pedestrian & for an everyday working vehicle bits were starting to be a pain when it came off the road . That said , it was a huge leap forward when compared to the threepenny bit Austin it replaced - although I did love that 4 litre straight six .

As I wasn't the only one driving it, I put it in high and disconnected the lever. If I got her stuck, I knew how to engage low. Have happy memories of the old girls, especially as a lot of horse boxes had living accomadation on them. Its true what they say about horsey women. :evil: :-D

Went to Withams today (for genuine business reasons....honest :-D)

David Green showed us a batch of MJ's just in . They had been completely stripped, engine & gearbox overhaul , new panels in the cabs , completely de rusted,new dash , new paint etc etc etc at a cost of around £12000 each , put into storage three years ago until the PTB decided that erm.....they didn't actually need them. So now they are up for sale at a fraction of their overhaul cost . Didn't ask prices but they look great and have to be a bragain for anyone in the market .