WW1 Riker restoration project

alsfarms

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Surely pre WW-1.  What a brute these early steam engines were.  I thought to share the You Tube link for those steam enthusiasts among us.  Enjoy!

At first I thought  that the counterweight on the sledge wasn't moving (it moves forwards through the pull in competive pulling) but on a re-watch it is. So that's quite impressive. 

I admit, I am an antique car guy, really appreciate old trucks and machinery also.  But one thing that stands my hair on end is to see a true early work hose huffing and puffing.  The Case clip, above,  just simply does it for me, in a way that no antique automobile  can.  Also, I watched as Union Pacific moved one of the last surviving "Big Boy" Locomotives from Southern Cal. to Cheyenne Wyoming.  the engine had be dormant and on static display for many years.  The rail route is within one mile of my home.  In my area, they made a whistle stop so the public could see and appreciate the magnificent size of that engine.  It is simply amazing!  Well five years later, I took all my family, married lids and grand kids to the "Golden Spike" commemoration in northern Utah.  The Golden Spike was the last spike driven that joined both sides of America together.  It was and still is a big deal.  Well Union Pacific had fully restored the Big Boy mentioned above and it made its maiden trip as part of the Golden Spike celebration.  (side trivia)  The Big Boy was engineered for the rail run between Ogden Utah and Cheyenne Wyoming as it is a heavy climb over many miles to get from Ogden to Cheyenne.  Talk about making my hair stand on end was to see an original steamer on the same track many years later and grunting, puffing steaming into Utah.  To see that train run is an experience to savor.  If you haven't, do a google and You Tube search of the steam train "Bog Boy".  Lots to see, learn and appreciate.

Al

I couldn't resist. here is a bit of information about the Big Boy spoken of above.  This picture doesn't not show the real giant size of it.  It needs a man standing by one of the drive wheels.

img_up_media-4014-150-cele_m.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
clarity

5 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

It’s funny how we go around in circles, if they’d continued developing electric vehicles 100 years ago, imagine where we would be today! 

50 miles from home and waiting 3 hours for the battery to recharge in all likelihood!

• Like 2

Having spent some time in Kenya I think that the bottom photo is quite possible. I saw a small bus in Nairobi once with 26 mattresses piled up on top and tied on with a rope that went under the bus and up the other side, over the top and tied onto the loose end of the same rope. The mattresses were wobbling in a most impressive way whenever the bus turned or braked. It is normal there to get at least double the number of people into a vehicle than would be acceptable in the UK or US, triple if things are busy. The attitude was: If you die, you die ! Great fun !

David

• Like 1

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.  This season always gets me to thinking about and appreciating the sacrifices made by our fore fathers to preserve what we now enjoy in this modern world.  Those winter times, during WW-1 must have been brutal.  God bless those who made the supreme sacrifice.  Let us all do the best we can to make sure they are never forgotten.  Our interest in militaria, VIA this forum, is one small way we can keep the legacy and memory alive.

Al

On 12/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, alsfarms said:

Here is a picture of the manufacturing of the frame for a Riker truck.  Most assuredly not modern mass production technology!

I visited the Dennis factory in the late 1980s and it was much the same then. I think that low-volume truck production might have changed less than you think.

• Like 1