WW1 Riker restoration project

alsfarms

I have been following this interesting post and in the back of my mind I recalled something in one of the many many books in my library had something about a Riker.

I remembered that it was in one of a series of books I purchased 20+ years ago so I had a look.  This is what I found, it was not even listed in the index but searching for it gave me something else to do during the Covid19 lockdown we currently endure here in Victoria Australia. 

Volume 111 of a 6 volume set on page 434 of the general reference work "Automobile Engineering" dates 1922 had this drawing.  I don't know if it will be of assistance, but who knows.

Regards Rick.

IMG_20201027_0004.pdf IMG_20201027_0007.pdf

21 hours ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

I have been following this interesting post and in the back of my mind I recalled something in one of the many many books in my library had something about a Riker.

I remembered that it was in one of a series of books I purchased 20+ years ago so I had a look.  This is what I found, it was not even listed in the index but searching for it gave me something else to do during the Covid19 lockdown we currently endure here in Victoria Australia. 

Volume 111 of a 6 volume set on page 434 of the general reference work "Automobile Engineering" dates 1922 had this drawing.  I don't know if it will be of assistance, but who knows.

Regards Rick.

IMG_20201027_0004.pdfUnavailable IMG_20201027_0007.pdfUnavailable

IMG_20201027_00041024_1.jpg.d592a95c0115331b8d74b268337f6941.jpgtIMG_20201027_00071024_1.jpg.451f703f6c7202d57ca426a985ccae2b.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Rick,

You were correct with your suggestion that you never know what may be helpful!  If in my wildest imagination, If I can locate an original radiator, that would be great.  The reality is that I may end up needing to build a radiator.  If that is the case, the picture you sent could be reworked and used as a pattern from which to have a new good pattern built using modern technology.  I even like that one good measurement is on the drawing so making an accurate scale drawing should be very doable.  Thanks for posting the picture.

Al

Could someone post a good picture of two of a Locomobile truck (sister to the Riker truck) chain drive trans-axle and rear end arrangement.  Also, does the Locomobile  truck utilize a three or four speed transmission?  I am curious to see the differences between the Riker "worm Drive" rear end and the Locomobile "chain drive" rear end.  I wonder why they had two very different designs to do the same work?  What are the thoughts of this group of forum followers?

The cab over engine chain drive Model A Locomobile was introduced in 1912. The worm drive Model B Locomobile was introduced in 1915 of which the Riker is pretty much the same as the Locomobile. The Model A was purchased in small numbers (at least 40) by the US Corps of Engineers. I am not aware that any were used during World War One. I dont know if the Model A and the Model B had the same engine. 

Locomobile A 2.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

4 hours ago, alsfarms said:

I am curious to see the differences between the Riker "worm Drive" rear end and the Locomobile "chain drive" rear end.  I wonder why they had two very different designs to do the same work? 

The torque on the diff and the halfshafts is higher on a worm drive rear and than on a chain drive. I think that is the reason that chain drive was used on quite a few heavy duty trucks until the 1950's.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Tim regarding the similarities between a B type Locomobile and B type Riker, radiator , electrics and starter are the main difference.

4 speed gearbox plus reverse , cone clutch and transmission brake is the set up.

On a different note, the Double decker battle bus body restoration starts tomorrow!!!

76A66BBE-575F-4E6F-B5CC-C5117DF29900.jpeg

F7DD5FF5-EE40-47D0-8AAB-4B2C194C10F8.png

42D377D5-D183-4DFB-8938-FBEC6F49157E.jpeg

23AEFE79-40CB-4E4F-A272-8D1BD47FD692.jpeg

• Like 3

OK Dorset Boy.... I took the bait.... How did the first day of Double Decker war bus work go?  Do you anticipate a full on rebuild and replace most of the wood.  Or is this a seek and destroy mission where you repair as needed and get on with the upper deck?  As I have studied your pictures, I can see the subtle differences between the Locomobile radiators and the Riker.  Do you feel the worm drive arrangement is the same for both?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

We had our first snow of the season and I am not ready for the cold weather yet!   The worst of our winter weather doesn't arrive until around January 1, (then look out).  I would dream of a few more Riker parts from which I could get my hands dirty on, but not so much yet or maybe for the long term.

Al

I have been digging around for information relating to the current disposition of the Hays Truck museum inventory since the museum was closed in 2013.  The museum was to be relocated to Reno.  I also guess that a portion of the museum inventory could have been sold off.  Does anyone here have any update information to share?  If the Hays Museum is now set up under another name or business front in the greater Reno area, that is just across the state of Nevada from me and I would like to make a trip.  Help out if you can with any information.

Al

On another note.  I have been past the "Heartland Military Museum" located in Lexington Nebraska.  Each time I have been in that area the Museum has been closed.  Has anyone here been to that Museum?  I think most of the display is WW2 or newer but I don't know for sure what they may have that is not currently on display.

Al

19 hours ago, alsfarms said:

I have been digging around for information relating to the current disposition of the Hays Truck museum inventory since the museum was closed in 2013.  The museum was to be relocated to Reno.  I also guess that a portion of the museum inventory could have been sold off.  Does anyone here have any update information to share?  If the Hays Museum is now set up under another name or business front in the greater Reno area, that is just across the state of Nevada from me and I would like to make a trip.  Help out if you can with any information.

Al

Looks like it might be the The National Automobile Museum in Reno.
This link says "After the HATM closed, a portion of the collection was donated to our Museum and is currently stored in a local warehouse."

https://automuseum.org/?event=a-video-tour-of-the-hays-antique-truck-collection-august-second-thursday-talk

Even if they didn't get the Riker, they might know where it went.

Edited by Johnny
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, alsfarms said:

On another note.  I have been past the "Heartland Military Museum" located in Lexington Nebraska.  Each time I have been in that area the Museum has been closed.  Has anyone here been to that Museum?  I think most of the display is WW2 or newer but I don't know for sure what they may have that is not currently on display.

Al

Their Facebook page says "Due to COVID the Heartland Museum will be closed until 11/12/2020. Sadly, the Veterans' Day Parade will be canceled this year. Stay safe!"
https://www.facebook.com/heartlandmuseum/

• Like 1

I recommend you check out the link shared by Johnny above that shows a small taste of the Old Hays Museum trucks now residing in a warehouse in Reno Nevada, (Part of the old Harrah automobile museum now the National Museum).  Some nice trucks and they are out of the weather.  No I didn't see the Riker or Locomobile trucks, maybe those trucks will appear on a future virtual walk-around.

Al