Low Emission Zone - no exemption for post 1973 vehicles

Larry Hayward

Dear Friends,

I make no appology if you have read this elsewhere but it is vital we all protest before this spreads to the rest of the UK!

Greater London Authority is at it, just like the Government - targeting law abiding vehicle owners when the criminals will carry on as normal!

If you have not heard the GLA has decided to introduce a LEZ that will target older vehicles that do not meet new emission standards. Work on the scheme is to start in Feb 2008 possibly with a start date of 2010 for trucks, buses and large vehicles and will cost an owner of such a vehicle £200 A DAY (YES £200 a Day!) to drive within the GLA - thats anywhere inside the M25. Failure to pay meets with a £1000 fine.

The problen for us is that the scheme is to be extended to other vehicles - ie Cars and PLG types like Land Rovers by 2012!

What has infuriated the historic vehicle owners is the fact that the B*****ds at the GLA say that the cut off point will be 1973 for exemption and not a rolling 25 year age for the vehicle - just because one ex-chancellor we all know decided to stop the exemption for car tax at that date! As the FBHVC said - history does not stop at 1973.

The GLA says that a poll was carried out - but as any Fascist knows you can ask a question in a particular way to get the result you want - I bet they never asked 'Should there be a ban on historic vehicles in London built since 1973?

No doubt the people who have been allowed to run the GLA think that anyone who owns a historic vehicle must be middle class and therefore an easy target.

It may spread to the rest of the country too, so write to your MP now! At the very least we should get the 1973 end date replaced by a rolling 25 year date for all historic vehicles and remember if its spreads then nearly half the stuff seen at Beltring will be off the road!

Rant definately not over!!!

Transport for london carry out public consultations for everything they do, but don't take a blind bit of notice of what the public say.

When TFL wanted to extend the congestion zone west, 80% of bussiness's and 70 % of resident's said no and yet TFL went ahead and done it anyway!, how on earth that is democracy I do not know.

I own a 86 110 diesel and will have to pay the £100 per day to drive my landy into london and I live there!.

This country is a complete joke.

well if this is indeed the case, then a proper argument should be put forward. Surely this is where forums like this one come into play?

I doubt 'one off' letters will get any reaction, instead we should band together and make a more unified approach.

When I've read stuff about this before, I have to admit that I've thought that either it would resolve itself to exclude historic vehicles, or more selfishly, I thought that it wouldn't apply to me. However, you would think for the tiny fraction of historic vehicles that this would apply to, the powers at be could exclude them from this legislation?

Perhaps, someone could suggest who we write to? - and perhaps some of our more eloquent number, could draft a template letter we could all use?

The time to object to this is now, - now later when it has been introduced.

Simon, your missing the point ! In order to have a discussion BOTH sides have to think they can reach an amicable arrangemenr. We are talking TFL here T(fill in the blanks) For Livingstone. Try this one, thier latest, Help for Ethnic minoritys to become black cab drivers. So one guy of a minority religion thought OK go for it. The answer he got 'Your not Ethnic enough' I couldn't make it up! Mind you our dear Ken has made nasty public statments about the gents religion so maybe that explains it.

I did bring this to everyones attention on here back in July that the LEZ will include just about any diesel powered commercial based vehicle, including Landrovers etc but not many seemed to take it in

I'[ve been involved in debating this particular piece of legislation for over 2 1/2 years now. What depresses me is how long it's taken people to cotton on to what the wider implications are. When this was first announced the plan was for ALL vehicles to be subject to the charge. The exemption for Historic Vehicles (as defined by DVLA) was only introduced after considerable representation on behalf of the FHBVC and other organisations. I find it very sad that people are still only just finding out about this despite all the effort that was put into drawing people's attention to it. I was particularly annoyed at the owners of smaller vehicles who said it would not affect them. I hope they're regretting their lack of interest now.

Search for LEZ on here to find at least 2 previous threads on this topic.

WE could try these people

The Cabinet

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP

Chancellor of the Exchequer Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Rt Hon David Miliband MP

Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor Rt Hon Jack Straw MP

Secretary of State for the Home Department Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP

Secretary of State for Defence and Secretary of State for Scotland Rt Hon Des Browne MP

Secretary of State for Health Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP

Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP

Secretary of State for International Development Rt Hon Douglas Alexander MP

Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Rt Hon John Hutton MP

Leader of the House of Commons, Lord Privy Seal and Minister for Women Rt Hon Harriet Harman QC MP

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and Secretary of State for Wales Rt Hon Peter Hain MP

Secretary of State for Transport Rt Hon Ruth Kelly MP

Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Rt Hon Hazel Blears MP

Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families Rt Hon Ed Balls MP

Minister for the Cabinet Office and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Rt Hon Edward Miliband MP

Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Rt Hon James Purnell MP

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Rt Hon Shaun Woodward MP *

Leader of the House of Lords and Lord President of the Council Rt Hon Baroness Ashton of Upholland

Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP

Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Chief Whip Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP

Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills Rt Hon John Denham MP

TooTallmike,

I appreciate your anger at the lack of interest in this issue but in truth I like driving my MV and working on it - and not searching the Houses of Parliament or GLA sights for new legislation!

And as the Jim Whyman of the FBHVC said - the original proposal had been that vehicles 25 years old would be exempt AND THIS WOULD BE A ROLLING DATE. For this reason the FBHVC made no representations over this issue at the time!

But then the GLA went back on its word and adopted 1973 just because Gordon Brown wanted a few quid more from historic vehicle owners a few years back.

So please do protest - as the creeps who get in positions of authority will never know. If everyone of us wrote in to our MP I am sure it would have some effect and the threat of road pricing. I going to write anyway and also complain about the way Ken Livingstone has been granted powers far in excess of his job that makes London in to 'Ken's Kingdom' without any scrutiny.

I'll write theletters as a matter of course.

But I have zero belief in ANY of the theiving swine doing anything to change the situation. I fully believe both Red Ken and the morons in Westminster realize that many businesses cannot afford to change vehicles immediately so will have to pay the daily charge to use them. This is just another form of taxation through the back door!! >:( >:(

Simon, your missing the point ! In order to have a discussion BOTH sides have to think they can reach an amicable arrangemenr. We are talking TFL here T(fill in the blanks) For Livingstone. Try this one, thier latest, Help for Ethnic minoritys to become black cab drivers. So one guy of a minority religion thought OK go for it. The answer he got 'Your not Ethnic enough' I couldn't make it up! Mind you our dear Ken has made nasty public statments about the gents religion so maybe that explains it.

sorry Tony, you're quite right :-)

With regard to the whole debate, it probably won't effect me, but that still makes it wrong, so I will do my bit, as I fail to see why historic vehicles should be included in this legislation. They cover few miles per year etc etc, and common sense (I know :-)) should dictate that a rolling 25 year age thing at least should be in place.

What I would like to know is who to write to first, and what to say? I don't think this is right, and am happy to step up. I am not surprised at all that others have been aware of this for some time, and to their credit, have been vocal. I however, was not aware, having been away from the vehicle preservation scene now for many years, only just returning to it with rekindled interest in my militant this summer.

I think the original freeze on tax exemption was sold as 'Protecting British Car industry' . So now the question is 'What Britsh Car Industry?'The latest tirade from City bunker was about the London Arms Fair, an event which brings millions to the city and to the country. Mind you we will still be lumbered with the Olympics. Look at the Queen's Pagent, or the other various commemaration events held in London. How much longer can these continue if congestion charge , emmisions charges and the rest carry on. The public are told 'We will improve public transport'. Right I work in the London bus industry, my advice Don't travel on buses after 18:00 it is dangerous and you may will have your pocket picked. One of TFL's Revenue inspectors, when they bother to come out of central london, told me. 'We are told overestimate the number of passengers on any bus, it makes the figures look better'. if the ENFORCEMENT arm of an organisation are told to blatantly lie, what hope have we?

• 8 months later...

Just been looking through the EMLRA website and I found this regarding the LEZ - the FBHVC are looking ofr people who have vehicles affected by the LEZ as they are trying to build a case for a rolling 25 year exemption.

Link to the EMLRA article is:

http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=3674

Gist of the FBHVC content of the article over on EMLRA (if you can't read it through not being a member) is:

his is what the FBHVC says:

We need to hear from owners of historic commercial vehicles who have been adversely affected by the LEZ, and especially from owners who live and keep non-compliant historic vehicles within the zone. We need to know what the vehicle is, how often it would normally be used within the zone and what it would be used for. If it is kept within the zone, we need the postcode for where it is kept. If we hear nothing, we will have nothing to build an argument on and Transport for London would probably reject our appeal out of hand on the basis that no-one is adversely affected. Clubs catering for commercial vehicles are asked to alert any of their members who may be affected to the need to let us have this information. They should contact Jim Whyman, preferably by email to

dmin@fbhvc.co.uk

as Jim will be looking after this topic until the autumn.

I don't think this transgresses the dreaded "P" word here???

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I don't think this transgresses the dreaded "P" word here???[/quote

I dont think it does Niel but i can no longer talk about these issues without

throwing a fit so as they say on the tele I am out.:angry:-X

At the risk of looking like i have changed sides,rolling 25 yr worrys me a bit as i see an awful lot of rubbish which i dont consider historic ,I think genuine historic recorded and insured as such ok,Otherwise the towns going to be full of soap dodging Landies.Landies/rangies that really gets me going,along with series,series ruddy what.?

At the moment my 110 will be non compliant in 2010. I heard somewhere that TFL will exempt land rovers but I am still waiting for written proof.

If TFL say no to land rovers I will have to stick a petrol engine in mine:-(

I think mate that once the diesels have been done to death the petrols will be next,the days of people running around in old bangers is coming to an end ,thats why we have to concentrate on genuine vehicles of interest and fight that corner,