Munga talk...

Snapper

hi glad the parts were ok got a bit more done on the second munga .man who had my next doors munga

may have roof .he rang me to tell me he add been offroad in the munga he said it was great

i will try to find number of man who may have starter ps mrs munga and kids are still talking what a shame

• 1 month later...

It's been a bit quiet on the Munga thread lately so I thought I'd better mention that I have bought one. Hopefully I will be collecting it next weekend (off to Poland this weekend to help a friend collect a Gaz69AM).

The Munga needs some putting back together and tidying but is supposed to be in good nick.

munga.JPG

I think there is a MUNGA 4 for sale in Dorcester, with original engine. I am still trying to find time to get mine MOT'ed, but work etc keeps getting in the way!

I think lots of work going on in the background with people, just no-one tell people about it yet.

Good luck to all MUNGA owners, enjoy your two stroke friend.

I am quite interested in the Dorchester Munga (the grey one!!!). Does anyone know anything about it? Biggest problem is that Dorchester is a long way to view and I dont want to buy blind!!!

Just had a look at the pics, seems the body has been blasted but only the bits you see. why leave the engine bay?( suppose it depends what kind of finished job your after) looks a good project .. what is the reserve ?......

Edited by Willyslancs

Hi Mungrels (sorry - is that rude?) Anyway, I'm one as well. Bought mine at beginning of April, not 100% sure why but I'm getting to like it. Still 2-stroke, all seems fairly sound, runs but has fuel starvation problems - all needs a good clean-out/adjust, I imagine. Gears a bit reluctant to engage, but have found the gear-lever turret was loose, obviously lots of lost motion before the selector rails - feels better now but haven't tried driving it yet - it's on the ramp having its brakes sorted. Several leaky wheel cylinders, honing and new seals will hopefully sort them, have found some of what the parts manual calls 'fillers' but I think of as seal supports were corroded into the end of the cylinders - a good clean-up is underway.

Having a bit of trouble getting the control arm off the end of the steering rack, has to come off to fit a new gaiter - not much room for a big puller, but will persevere with a hot air gun and small puller!

Will try to post a pic or two in due course - not sure of the rules on this forum.

(just realised, I used a thumbnail pic of my Munga as my avatar - that's a start)

John

Edited by Essex5

Like a ghost town here in Munga land!! ( one on * B** £ 3.200 extra if you want it re mot ing!:nut:) will be interesting to see if it sells .

Hi, I've been busy with other vehicles , trying to sort a few out to make some room , munga will be coming out soon to get brakes sorted for MOT , did the one on bay sell ?

yes there's a few coming out the woodwork :-) the prices seem to be creeping up but still a cheap capable jeep , they may not have seen much action but have good pedigree regarding the permanent four wheel drive system , Audi saw fit to use the same idea in the Quatro ,

The use of SAE 80 oil is this something to do with the VC's ( viscous couplings)

or the bronze bearings ,

anyone know if the VC's are a sealed unit like used in the VW Syncro

yes there's a few coming out the woodwork :-) the prices seem to be creeping up but still a cheap capable jeep , they may not have seen much action but have good pedigree regarding the permanent four wheel drive system , Audi saw fit to use the same idea in the Quatro ,

The use of SAE 80 oil is this something to do with the VC's ( viscous couplings)

or the bronze bearings ,

anyone know if the VC's are a sealed unit like used in the VW Syncro

Phil

No VC's in the MUNGA, it's due to the large amount of bronze used. EP eats it very nicely, just like Jeeps!

VW bought out Auto Union, to get the rights to use the drive system. And of course the division of VW then became Audi, which had been one of the partners in Auto Union. The same drive is used in the Iltis.

John

Welcome to online MUNGAland. Check gearbox has SAE 80 oil, and NOT EP grade same for dif.

Thanks for the info, Andrew - I will sniff the oil when I next get underneath! (Having had LRs for many years, I can sniff out EP no trouble!)

Got the control arm off the end of the rack today, puller and hot-air gun worked - getting the new gaiter to stay on at both ends is not easy. I put plenty of moly grease on the rack and in the gaiter, and of course it's all over the gaiter, which is now as slippery as a very slippery thing! Added to which, of course, access is not exactly ideal, even with the gear-lever cover-plate removed.

Never mind, perseverance will prevail:angel:

John