Great Dorset Steam Fair

fv1609

I have never been to the Dorset steam fair, despite living only twenty miles from the ground. But if the weather holds I might just change my mind. This is one local that approves of the petty vehicle choices, you can't, by law, say the obvious. I would like to live and let live, but a couple of years ago, some members of said community, relieved me of a few thousand litres of diesel. I still have the tape, much good that is.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

For those that attend the GDSF whats the earliest you are aloud to arrive and the latest you can stay till in your MV's.

Ian,

It used to be that you were only able to enter if you were there for the full 5 show days, Weds to Sun. Entries are usually taken early in the year and close at a certain number. Mind you things may have changed since I last entered!

Ian,

It used to be that you were only able to enter if you were there for the full 5 show days, Weds to Sun. Entries are usually taken early in the year and close at a certain number. Mind you things may have changed since I last entered!

Thanks Richard,

Was looking at going to the show next year in the bedford and trailer so would be doing the 5 days at least. Was wondering how early they let you arrive so i could get more camping days there.

From what I'm led to believe, they are getting very 'picky', regarding which military vehicles they want at the show. Also, numbers are limited.

(this from a friend who owns military but does G.D by steam.)

All i can do is apply and see what happens if i get accepted then all well and good and if not i will find somewhere else to go.

Was wondering how early they let you arrive so i could get more camping days there.

We are able to access the show site from 8 am Saturday 25th Aug and are requested to vacate by Monday 3rd Sept.

From what I'm led to believe, they are getting very 'picky', regarding which military vehicles they want at the show. Also, numbers are limited.

Yes numbers are limited - so the marshals for each section do try to choose the best range of vehicles to give the best display - but to be fair I would not call it 'Picky'

Numbers are limited for each section for one very good reason - the space available is limited and so the show cannot just be thrown open to all comers unfortunately.

I am not involved with the Great Dorset Steam Fair organisation but I can understand a lot of the problems they face from my involvement with the Purbeck Rally and Autojumble - that too, like Great Dorset, started as a gathering of friends with a shared interest in a corner of a little field. But like Topsy it grew and you must get hold of it at some point and keep it under control.

Once you become reliant on the public coming in through the pay gate your loyalties must encompass not one but two groups - the exhibitors and the public both equally important in a successfully show.

The business of picking entries is an important one - I can see the day comming very soon when the committee will need to do the same at Purbeck - unfortunately under these conditions as nice as it is to have as many people attending as exhibitors as possible from the public side its not very interesting if for instance - the stationary engine section looks like a lister D fest - with 15% of the exhibits being the same. (I use this as an hypothetical illustration ) Likewise at Great Dorset if for instance there is space for 50 vehicles and 10 Humber pigs are entered.............. Great for Clive & Jerry but what a lost opportunities for both the exhibitor and the public to see for instance a nice Bedford and trailer!

I hope no one thinks I am on my soap box - I am too sad for that. The situation of needing to make rules and selections makes me very sad indeed and if there was some other way I would love to hear about it.

The great problem is one of space, the military section has got smaller yet our neighbours, the commercials, have a vast amount of space. What has been particularly annoying is exMVs of various sorts done up as campers etc entered as commercials plonking themselves in the MV section. Another problem is there are often Army units with recruiting displays who have been known to plonk themselves in our limited space.

The great problem is one of space, the military section has got smaller yet our neighbours, the commercials, have a vast amount of space. What has been particularly annoying is exMVs of various sorts done up as campers etc entered as commercials plonking themselves in the MV section. Another problem is there are often Army units with recruiting displays who have been known to plonk themselves in our limited space.

Events in my area are finding the opposite, :-) MV ownership, and/or the willingness to 'show', is increasing;................certainly I can think of one local show where we are going to have to look at types of vehicles being entered. And thats after evicting the tractors. :whistle:

(the 'elastic sided' showground hasn't been invented,....................yet. :dunno:)

(the 'elastic sided' showground hasn't been invented,....................yet. :dunno:)

Oh yes it has... we have over 3,000 acres at out disposal for our Annual Bunker Bash, we just take a bit more each year as the show grows :whistle:

Events in my area are finding the opposite, :-) MV ownership, and/or the willingness to 'show', is increasing;................

Oh it isn't a shortage of people with MVs wanting to display. The problem is the shortage of space available to MVs, hence rules about restricting the space an entry can occupy in terms of military tentage only & not bigger than 9x9.

Oh it isn't a shortage of people with MVs wanting to display. The problem is the shortage of space available to MVs, hence rules about restricting the space an entry can occupy in terms of military tentage only & not bigger than 9x9.

Ahh, sorry, Clive, my mistake. :whistle:

Must admit, our group at present tend to book seperatley, into events,...........next year, going to try block booking, to allow us more room, to creat 'living space'.

Looking at the site plan Commercials have four times the area of MVs. Commercials do not include tractors, they have there own various display areas. So MVs always seem to be regarded as a bit of a fringe activity :-(

OK Folks - caravan loaded. Pig fed, watered, oiled, greased and looking a treat. :-D

So we off. Off to catch up with old friends (and maybe old enemies!) :yay: Yipeee

My biggest challenge will be to keep HF & Mr T20 from buying anything 'inappropriate' at the auction. :roll:

Then Mrs T20 & I will have to direct our attention to Clive................... I seem to remember from last year some sort of incident with one of the troupes of dancing girls.................. :whistle: Oh didn't we tell you - as well as numerous vehicles, steam engines, bygones etc there are troops of dancing girls preforming in the evening near the showmans engines.................. ;-)

If you are coming along please stop and say hello :clap:

Then Mrs T20 & I will have to direct our attention to Clive................... I seem to remember from last year some sort of incident with one of the troupes of dancing girls.................. :whistle:

If you ever want to find Clive at the Steam Fair, he will be at the back of the crowd, watching the Can-Can Dancers on stage..............never at the front, most of us are too wise to that ;-)

If you ever want to find Clive at the Steam Fair, he will be at the back of the crowd, watching the Can-Can Dancers on stage..............never at the front, most of us are too wise to that ;-)

Dancing? Good grief, next thing you will be telling me there are stalls selling cider!

Most of the week I spend watching to see if a stationary engine will move, studying the design of tractor seats through the ages & photographing early horticultural implements. Wouldn't have time for anything else!

• 11 months later...

I've managed to book our family holidays in Dorset so will be visiting for the first time for a day.

Don't know which day yet, will look at the weather whilst I'm down that way.

Will also be taking a look at the Bournemouth air festival which is on the same weekend.

Should be a good week.

Won't be taking a MV this year. Bit far for one. 101 is still in bits, MJ and Lightweight sold to make room for another project.

Dancing? Good grief, next thing you will be telling me there are stalls selling cider!

Most of the week I spend watching to see if a stationary engine will move, studying the design of tractor seats through the ages & photographing early horticultural implements. Wouldn't have time for anything else!

I've heard a few pints of the Devon cider can have that sort of effect. (Some of it is even made with French apple juice:argh:)

I've heard a few pints of the Devon cider can have that sort of effect. (Some of it is even made with French apple juice:argh:)

But why would we be drinking Devon cider, at the Great Dorset Steam Fair?