Great Dorset Steam Fair

fv1609

29 Aug - 2 Sept. Who's going? I shall be there with Hornet + Cipher trailer. It now seems I am going but for 2 days that was in doubt as I have been searching for my passes.

Panic over, found the passes in a folder with pension policies, in a box file labelled waste disposal in with my wife's horsey stuff! Security is very tight, tickets are filled in with vehicle registration even the support vehicle. Although the Hornet pass has my postcode entered instead!

Not that it would effect anyone here but last year Customs & Excise were dipping tanks as you go in to check for red diesel. Even tractors exhibited in the show shouldn't use red, as the use is for showing rather than agricultural.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to do the steam fair years ago with my shepherds hut and on the thrashing drum

I expect a few of us could rally round & give you a few turns on the thrashing drum if you like :naughty:

Just think and it was at GDSF 2 years ago when Kevin handed me a card telling me about the new forum.

I looked at coming to this one in my van, bringing the 9x9 & camping in the pubic area for the weekend, that was until I read the rules...NO VANS, Landrovers only if they have seats & windows... what's the mater with these people :dunno:

Pre-paid campsites will only be available to TENTS and CARAVANS (not exceeding 22ft excluding draw-bar) and cars or properly manufactured passenger carrying vehicles e.g. Land Rover Discovery. CAMPER VANS AND MOTOR HOMES must be properly manufactured. For all motor homes that exceed 25ft, please contact the booking office for terms. No articulated motor homes will be allowed. Land Rovers will only be accepted if fitted with side windows and fixed rear seats. (If in doubt enquire or send a photograph). We are sorry but we are unable to allow VANS, LORRIES, TRUCKS/PICKUP TRUCKS (Open or covered), CREW CABS, UTILITY VEHICLES, MINI BUSES, BUSES OR COACHES or any other type of commercial vehicle whether privately or commercially taxed onto the public campsites. If you book camping knowing that your vehicle(s) do not meet with the above criteria you will be asked to leave on arrival and your booking will not be refunded.

and you must have really dirty overalls and oily hands from working on your machine.

John will be OK then :whistle:

He has the cleanest hands around.. all those around him have dirty hands though :whistle:

...NO VANS, ... what's the mater with these people :dunno:

Lee,

Having been going to this show over a 20 year period, there has been a large influx of the travelling community coming there, this has led to problems and the organisers are continually getting to grips with it, this policy that you quoted has been going for several years now and is helping. Accepted it can be inconvenient if you use one of these vehicles, myself included, but I normally stay with a friend locally.........used to camp there and also took MV's there once.

Lee,

Having been going to this show over a 20 year period, there has been a large influx of the travelling community coming there, this has led to problems and the organisers are continually getting to grips with it, this policy that you quoted has been going for several years now and is helping. Accepted it can be inconvenient if you use one of these vehicles, myself included, but I normally stay with a friend locally.........used to camp there and also took MV's there once.

But most of the travelling community have brand new 4x4's now (& Caravans/motorhomes) :dunno:

Man , whats with all the limits and all the rules ! whats with the Land Rovers will only be accepted if they are fitted with side windows and Fixed rear seats?

Next thing they be asking for vehicles of only X or Y colors and only this or that Tread pattern on the tires !

We would never stand for such limits here , I can understand wanting to separate one group of vehicles from others but when your putting the show vehicles in one area and the rest else where . As i read it these rules are for the camping area ??? sounds like Snobs to me

Its really not as bad as it sounds - the restrictions are for the Public camp sites which are huge, and as stated before have been bothered by travelers and the such like and they have made life hell in the past. No way is it snobbery but a real attempt to make things better for the majority of the public who are peacefull and law abiding and just want to go along enjoy the show.

On the show ground it is different. we take our van - it has been issued with an official pass as support to our Military vehicle entry - no problem at all.

Unfortunately its the usual story - a few spoiling it for the many. My boss hoped to take her caravan and stay in the public camping - she usually tows the caravan with her old landrover. Its a real work horse looks rough and does not have seats, she has made alternative towing arrangements and commented that she is pleased that the organisers are trying to do something to improve security/safety of property etc even if it does cause her a bit of inconvenience.

Still can't see how this keeps the travellers away, as I said they all have new 4x4's now, what next ban everyone with an Irish accent :dunno:

Lee on a serious note - if you live here you would soon see that the vast majority of 'travellers' are the ones that don't have the new 4x4's.

I hate it when the steamfair is on - this people cause nothing but hassle, it is a major issue in this part of Dorset and all hell breaks loose in the media afterwards because 'us' the local council tax payer gets rather feedup with having to pick up the bill once these people have left.

It is through public pressure that the organisers are doing this as the public are so tired with it and have asked for many years for it to be closed down.

I hate it when the steamfair is on - this people cause nothing but hassle,

I am sure this could be said about any major event when its local. I am sure the locals to the War and Peace show hate the traffic and this year mud on the road. The V festival was on last weekend and caused traffic chaos for a weekend around here. At the end of the day its soon over and normality returns

Why does the local tax payer have to foot the bill for clean up? Surely thats the responsibility of the event organiser?

and you must have really dirty overalls and oily hands from working on your machine.

Also do not forget the "Black sooty bowler hat and red and white polka dot neckerchief" :-D

Ashley

I am sure this could be said about any major event when its local. I am sure the locals to the War and Peace show hate the traffic and this year mud on the road. The V festival was on last weekend and caused traffic chaos for a weekend around here. At the end of the day its soon over and normality returns

Well Said.

Yup, I know that the traffic leading into site, from whichever way its coming from, is real hassle,.............but its only once a year, after all.

Agree with some points but the steam fair is a slightly different affair. Having lived with it on my doorstop for many years I have enough experience to have a founded viewpoint :whistle:

The council picks up the bill for clearing up the surrounding area once 'peoples' have moved on. They spend thousand of punds every year digging trenches to stop 'camper's' pitching up on verges, roundabouts, fields carparks etc etc and then they spend thousands again redigging ofter the 'people's' have field them in to gain access :whistle:

Agree with some points but the steam fair is a slightly different affair. Having lived with it on my doorstop for many years I have enough experience to have a founded viewpoint :whistle:

The council picks up the bill for clearing up the surrounding area once 'peoples' have moved on. They spend thousand of punds every year digging trenches to stop 'camper's' pitching up on verges, roundabouts, fields carparks etc etc and then they spend thousands again redigging ofter the 'people's' have field them in to gain access :whistle:

Totally understand the point your making, Jack,................unfortunatly, these 'peoples', are a bain of almost ANY event held. I lived in Brighton, not all that far from an 'established' site, .....................that city held various events within its environs,.....music, etc, and after EVERY event, faced the same clear up operation.

These 'peoples',......often driving VERY modern vehicles, and living in VERY modern caravans, would pitch up, seemingly anywhere they felt like, weather locked/bared or not, s*it the area up, leaving all sorts of stuff, and then move on,.......................often no more than 10foot or so, ....to give then a green view outside their windows............ >:( >:(

The council, had to 'play by the rules', and carry out welfare checks, every time these 'people', turned up,...............on EVERY site they turned up on. :dunno:

Yes, as a taxpayer I feel mighty pi**ed off by these parasites, but until the decent folk, decide to tell the european union, (for that it where these laws are coming from) to BUTT OUT, we in this country are going to have to put up with it. >:( >:(

(please note, this is NOT a rant at our european forum friends. :-) :-))