Rear Lights

chrisgrove

From memory construction and use regulations at the time required two side lights, a match pair of head lights during the hours of darkness, and a minimum of one tail and one rear light.

Quite if brake lights continued to be fitted throughout the war I do not know.

the use of the RUBBOLITE tail lights stopped early in the war it then became the practise to fit  the LUCAS WD TI AND T2 these were only fitted to the off side rear also the isolation switch for the brake light was continued to be installed so if the brake light was not to be used why was it  that two  rear lights continued to be fitted ?

Diagram ok but does not show any convoy light or switch .Convoy light is connected to the rear light .But the ground cable. Goes threw the convoy switch switching on the convoy light  The other way switches on the break. & tail light TONY CORBIN

Just recieved these

IMG_4163.thumb.JPG.ece7954d82dd3d93a1d9e92c6d0e9b28.JPG

IMG_4166.thumb.JPG.af2e5aa8d16c6e0bcfa397f44879d0c9.JPG

These are marked L-WD-T1A

wonder if the A meant brake/tail ?

Also a standard Tail/Brake light will fit in the Butlers casing, but not in the Lucas one.

Looking into putting LED lights in them

My Bedford Mw parts list doesn't actually specify whether it should be Lucas or Butlers, just states use MT3/WD/T1/W quantity 1. The axle floodlight states use one marked B-WD-AF1 (i.e a Butlers one)

Also where is the Axle folllight switch on a MW ?

That is often the case Adrian, as per that wiring diagram. But the bulbs shown in the post on Sunday are actually twin filament. Which is something you don't see very often with the small globe. I guess you'd have to do some hunting to find them, or hope that a standard stop/tail bulb fits in the housing. Ron

1 hour ago, Adrian Barrell said:

Being twin contact doesn't make them tail/stop. The wiring diagram shown above indicates two wires, one of which goes to earth. Are they not just for twin contact, single filament bulbs?

Having thought about it...

This is the correct bulb for both butlers and lucas WD-T1 lights (the pin lugs on the bulb are parallel and thus can be inserted either way round, modern twin element bulbs are polaraosed, using offset pins)

IMG_4155.thumb.JPG.8b2b6bb0ec22377c3e59a2d4496b726d.JPG

This has two separate 6W elements ( a single 6W element bulb does not fit as the single contact does not make contact with either of the twopins in the socket)

The dual elemement bulb has several advantages as it can be wired for

1) Stop(6W),Tail(6W)

2) Stop(6W),Stop(6W) = Stop(12W)

3) Single contact only Tail(6W)  [also means if one element blows, you turn the bukb around and use the other element, no need for a spare]

I think I have found some replacement bright LED type bulbs that will fit either fitting(will keep you posted)

Ron,

If a standard 6 / 21 W bulb would fit in the housing you would have to file one of the pins off it or modify the holder as the 6/21s have the pins at different heights to make you put them in the right way round. With a 6/6 W it doesn't matter so the pins are the same as a single 6W

David

David

The standard 6/21W bulb with one lug field off does not fit in the Lucas type, it is about 4mm too long and the shroud cannot be fitted. They just fit in the the butlers one but the top of the bulb touches the redglas at the end.

Bought some cheapo LED lights, filed the top lug off

IMG_4182.thumb.JPG.800a2dafae4fa584bf95d44bbdd0ddb7.JPG

These fit nicely in both ucas and Butlers WD-T1's

Bit of difference between tail

IMG_4180.thumb.JPG.70fc107504144b6dd43a45641e55ca7d.JPG

and Tail and Stop

IMG_4181.thumb.JPG.1da092b9a3a74eb557262e918ccb1e43.JPG

Will carry on experimenting (note current draw is less than 10mA i.e. nex to nothing)

Cheers

Richard