Rear Lights

chrisgrove

Pictures of wartime  vehicles showing the rear are rare!  Was there a standard rear light for militay vehicles?  Pictures of restored vehicles are no good as they invariably have updated rear lighting to make them road legal.  And where was it placed?  I do remember that only one rear light was then required.  I am particularly interested in the Austin K2 and Bedford ML  (and possibly the several Morris) ambulances, all of which had the same or very similar bodies.  A photograph would be very useful.

Chris

• Like 1

From about 1943 onwards there was a standard pattern of rear light but the visible lenses area is so small they would not be safe driving at night out-side of a built up area.   This is the post-war version of the light which had a window for number plate illumination and a wire braided cable.  Both missing on war-time production.   https://www.buyexmilitarysurplus.co.uk/products/Rear-Tail-Lamp-Number-Plate-Lamp-N1-CM-500.SA.html

This is the war-time Lucas tail lamp (in red primer) shown with an axle flood lamp which I fitted to my Tilly as it would have been. I also fitted the more modern lamps and indicators for the sake of safety. I guess the lens is about 1" diameter. Can double check that tomorrow. Ron

Tilly 09 042.jpg

Tilly 09 041.jpg

There were lots of the original war-time pattern on the market 20 years ago but not sure what the availability is now.The link I posted may be your only choice to retain the war-time look.

On the front of vehicles you can modify side lights to flash and you can buy magnetic light clusters and Number Plates or modify something to hang on the rear of your vehicle, so hopefully on current restorations no one is drilling holes in wings to fit modern lights.

Yes that's exactly what I did at the front of my Morris and Austin Tilly. I soldered wires to 'Stop/tail-light' bulbs and mounted them inside my original sidelights. At least with no MOT's these days, there's no one to criticize them flashing white. However, both vehicles have amber indicators at the rear.   Ron

Morris PU 84 058.JPG

21 hours ago, Ron said:

This is the war-time Lucas tail lamp (in red primer) shown with an axle flood lamp which I fitted to my Tilly as it would have been. I also fitted the more modern lamps and indicators for the sake of safety. I guess the lens is about 1" diameter. Can double check that tomorrow. Ron

Tilly 09 042.jpg

Hi I after two tail lights, and a axle floodlight for my Bedford MWC restoration see http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/36001-bedford-mwc-restoration/

Cheers Richard

Yes you are right! As this original pictures shows, a Lucas Rubberlite bolted to the right side of the body. As you can see, I have more adequate lights fitted, but I do have a NOS Rubberlite with original cable, so I might as well fit it and just wire it into the others.  Regards Ron

DSC08617.JPG

Morris PU 84 001.jpg

Hi

I picked up one of these at Newbury 4x4 today

The markings say B-WT-1 on the rear and the lens body screws in (different to the one in the photo recently posted)

IMG_4157.thumb.JPG.f2c63053ee95deb74eb07c0d2b235846.JPG

IMG_4158.thumb.JPG.4c3804f557287fa06a6944e48077f92a.JPG

Which is actually a side/stop light

IMG_4156.thumb.JPG.908bbc479927c604f6b61b9ed33cc88f.JPG

IMG_4155.thumb.JPG.4919968f969b48a1ff50ecfeef189ebb.JPG

Can you still get these bulbs ?

64EK26

No, that lamp is marked B-WD-T which stands for :

Butler = the manufacturer

WD = War Department

T  = Tail

I do not think that those double fillament bulbs are still available but happy to be proved wrong. Note that both stop and tail are 6w and the bulb can be inserted either way round as the pins are the same difference from the tip and it makes no difference.

David

1 hour ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

I picked up one of these at Newbury 4x4 today

The markings say B-WT-1 on the rear and the lens body screws in (different to the one in the photo recently posted)

IMG_4157.thumb.JPG.f2c63053ee95deb74eb07c0d2b235846.JPG

IMG_4158.thumb.JPG.4c3804f557287fa06a6944e48077f92a.JPG

Which is actually a side/stop light

IMG_4156.thumb.JPG.908bbc479927c604f6b61b9ed33cc88f.JPG

IMG_4155.thumb.JPG.4919968f969b48a1ff50ecfeef189ebb.JPG

Can you still get these bulbs ?

That is a wartime lamp. It is shown in my 1943 spares book for my WOT2. If it had a cut-out at the side, then it is post-war.

This lamp appears in the Vocabulary of Army Ordance Spares Section LV6-MT3 in 1943 listed as Lamp Stop and Tail Type No. 981 or B/WD/T1.  The example pictured is missing the cover over the cables.  How many vehicles during the war continued to be fitted with stop lights?

Most early war parts lists detail the light units fitted under particular contracts but as has already been said, after about 1943 most vehicles probably featured the standard Lucas type.

Edited by REME 245