Search for a wartime Triumph

NLKRUMAT

Hello everyone,

I signed up on this forum because I am looking for a motorcycle from the Second World War with my brother in law.
We have only been looking at it for a short while and are now running into something.
I would like to know if the Triumph offered to us is from WW2.
3HW Frame A510541A Engine 55789.
All reactions welcome.

tri.jpg

The bike certainly looks like a 3HW (correct engine and forks) But the frame number makes no sense to me. The number should be prefixed TL. and there should be a date stamp on the top of the saddle tube (under saddle)  Ron 

Beautiful bike ..A triumph 350 ohv...but both the engine and frame numbers appear incorrect..Triumph stamped their wartime bikes heavily..........under the seat on the post you should have the frames year and month eg.TE0844 you may also find a frame number stamped on the post supporting the handlebars....the engine is likely to have a number including 3HW and near this a contract number prefixed by C...

If you get photos of the numbers we should be able to help you

Jenkinov

Just checked in British forces motor cycles and the engine number you have it prefixed by 3HW 55789  could be from contract S2956 ..being triumph this number should be stamped into the engine...you should also have a small arrow or upside down V with a number under it e.g. 68 or 88 

If the engine is attributable to contract S2956 that was a run of 4000 engines from Dec 43 to June 44.the frame number to be from the same batch should be between TL41418. And TL46417,

Jenkinov

Personally, with the current moves towards defining 'Historic Vehicles' in Europe, I wouldn't even consider a purchase without first having good high resolution photos of all numbers looked at by someone who knows the make and model.

There are some real re-stamped nasties out there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3-2-2018 at 9:48 AM, jenkinov said:

Just checked in British forces motor cycles and the engine number you have it prefixed by 3HW 55789  could be from contract S2956 ..being triumph this number should be stamped into the engine...you should also have a small arrow or upside down V with a number under it e.g. 68 or 88 

If the engine is attributable to contract S2956 that was a run of 4000 engines from Dec 43 to June 44.the frame number to be from the same batch should be between TL41418. And TL46417,

Jenkinov

Hello ,

We have found an other frame nummer at the left site of the frame.

TL 43123  so contract S2956????

regards,

Mattijs

m

On 2/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, 79x100 said:

Personally, with the current moves towards defining 'Historic Vehicles' in Europe, I wouldn't even consider a purchase without first having good high resolution photos of all numbers looked at by someone who knows the make and model.

There are some real re-stamped nasties out there.

What "current moves" are these  out of interest?