WC51 trouble

martylee

It's been a long time since last we had problems with one of the Dodges, so now it's time again. During a trip into the mountains something happened with the car and it stalled. We could not get it running again, even if we tried to pull it started with the other vehicle.

None of my traveling companions or me are skilled mechanics, so we tried to figure out what was the problem. We ended up changing spark plugs since starter would turn, but not ignite. That didn't work. Then we saw some loose wire under the dashboard. Had some sparks there so we tried to fix it, but still no life there. After doing some camping and treasure hunting I got the idea that perhaps we could hotwire the car, which is as easy as in the movies. That did the trick to get it running.

But after this field repair the Dodge woulden't run very well. It seems it is running on half power and it really had problems going up hills. It doesn't start very easy either and makes some low bangs. It doesn't sound good at all, but still on the flat ground it makes same speed as before.

So what could this be? I think I've fastened the spark plugs, but could it be that one or more isn't correctly fastened(or wired) Could it be the hotwiring? Or is it something completely different.

A lot of writing to explain the problem, hope it makes sense...

Marty

Thanks Bodge!

The wires that were off belonged to the ignition switch. Right after this Dodge was purchased we had some difficulties that were somewhat similar to these. It wouldn't go good uphill, it's worse this time. Back then it was the ignition switch. The wiring is not very good on this one, so I guess they ought to be changed. Should we perhaps rebuild it as a 12 volt instead of the 6v today?

As for suggestions timing I would say bad, since we were in the mountains when it appeared... :-D sorry!

Since this just happened and the vehicle was running good before, would timing and ignition points be the first we should check? I have to ask, since I'm not very good at this, but will use this opportunity to learn and understand a bit.

Marty

Marty

Well I'm not so good myself... :-D

I'd check the ignition points were opening and closing...

Take the distributor cap off and check that the 'points' are opening and closing... by turning the motor over (minding your fingers from the scythe blades that pass for fan blades).

If they are closed or opening very little, re-set them and try again.

(can't remember the opening gap sorry!)

Check the rotor arm & cap for cracks, burns burned terminals etc.

Check the sprung contact from the coil lead into the cap is okay

The coughing and banging (backfires?) could point to timing...

Mines still on 6 volt... I can't be bothered to change it to be honest!

Have you got the dodge field manual... that has a troubleshooting bit in it somewhere... I seem to remember :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

The Dodge still isn't running like it should. Coughing and backfires. All the spark plugs have been changed, the ingition timed, distributor rotor and cap changed as well as rotor and wires from distrbutor to sparkplugs.

So what's left then? Well, the more expensive and time consuming things I guess. Could it be than one of the valves has fastened?

Anyway it looks like this one will be out of the game for the rest of the season.

Marty

I no what its like mate just spent ages getting mine running and turned out to faulty plugs in the end new ones at that. Mines was doing a very simular thing and yours sound elecrtical like mine would check timing as suggested get it up to tdc on number one check timing mark on pully and you rotar arm should ablut 7 oclock on the dizzy cap. if your ok there check all your plugs are sparking correctly. they may do out as mine did but when its running pull a lead off one at a time and see if the engine nose changers if not that your faulty item.

keep tryinh you will get there as i did

Try all the advice above, but I'd also do a compression test, just to eliminate the possibilitiy of things being awry under the head.

I'd also be paying close attention to the ignition switch wiring as that seemed to coincide with the start of your difficulties.

Could also be a carby problem - you might have some uninvited foreign matter in the jets.

Jack

First of all check you have the plug wires in the right order and they are firing. Buy a spark plug tester for this , a couple of quid well spent, it fits on the top and has an extra gap so you see the spark. Then check all the contacts from battery through ignition switch to coil are clean and tight!! Use a meter to check you have the full voltage at each point. Then check wire from coil to earth and connections are clean. Dirty wires and poor connections are something to be aware of on Dodges. The system is simple but does require a bit of basic maintence because it is so open.

The Dodge still isn't running like it should. Coughing and backfires. All the spark plugs have been changed, the ingition timed, distributor rotor and cap changed as well as rotor and wires from distrbutor to sparkplugs.

So what's left then? Well, the more expensive and time consuming things I guess. Could it be than one of the valves has fastened?

Anyway it looks like this one will be out of the game for the rest of the season.

Marty

Hi Marty,

Sounds just like 'fun', :whistle: I had with Bedford;..........cured mine with 6 new plugs, and although timing was OK,.set up with strobe, etc.......a mate 'fine tuned' disi, via the knurled wheel on side. a nanno movement, but BINGO............. :-D :-D.......NO pops or bangs anymore. :dunno:

('cept the exhaust very slightly blowing,......but I know about that)

Good luck.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

And now it' running again. And one advice to you! Make sure to get the wires from the distributor to the plugs in right order... :oops:

Marty

:whistle: :whistle:, Ahem,.......if were all honest, I'm guessing most of us have done this somewhen in the past. :oops: :oops: :whistle:

Glad you've sorted it. :-)

• 6 years later...

I seem to be having a similar problem with my WC51. On an ANZAC day excursion, after running well for a year she decided to suddenly run rough as and backfire alot.

She now does not want to idle without full choke or alternately throttle being out and lacks power on the upgrades or when being worked.

I have checked the carby and other than it being a little wet at the lower housing (Has the carby for a Chev Cargo on her) that is all good. Replaced/gapped plugs, checked air/fuel mix, checked gap and cleaned points, replaced manifold gasket (As noticed it had blown), new exhaust pipe to manifold, cleaned air filter to ensure good air flow through there..

I dont have a timing light but have used my eye-crometer, what else could i check.

I seem to be having a similar problem with my WC51. On an ANZAC day excursion, after running well for a year she decided to suddenly run rough as and backfire alot.

She now does not want to idle without full choke or alternately throttle being out and lacks power on the upgrades or when being worked.

I have checked the carby and other than it being a little wet at the lower housing (Has the carby for a Chev Cargo on her) that is all good. Replaced/gapped plugs, checked air/fuel mix, checked gap and cleaned points, replaced manifold gasket (As noticed it had blown), new exhaust pipe to manifold, cleaned air filter to ensure good air flow through there..

I dont have a timing light but have used my eye-crometer, what else could i check.

Coil mate! Could be suspect and can go at anytime