Why?

andrewroberts.1953

immediate response - its interesting

The types, uses, history of the vehicles.

The places and events (past & present) that you become aware of through having the vehicles

The places you get to visit and the people you get to meet and to me the most interesting of all is the stories those people tell you.

(Through our involvement with this hobby we discovered HMVF, got to meet a whole load of new people and had a far more intersting time at Beltring this year because of that.)

I like functional vehicles. I detest fast cars, custom cars, BMWs, shinny cars, cars without proper bumpers, custom cars, racing cars & that stuff.

What started it for me I think was seeing an in service Army Land Rover which must have had a big gash in the side. It was repaired with a piece of aluminium just riveted on. That appealed to me, it won't go any slower because of this repair, it serves its purpose. Military vehicles seemed to epitomise functionality.

The other influence was growing up in the Dinky toy era, now my eyesight is not so good so I have larger toys on the scale 1:1 8-)

i started with an airfix airfield crash tender set when i was like 7/8, and then when i grew up alittle (19 now) i went and bought myself one.

i dont like fast cars, i dont like modern cars (even the new discovery i dont like!) i am not soo keen on the classic cars that you polish.

if i can get it muddy and have some fun with it its worth saving (so any military vehicle really).

but its like asking why climb mountians there will be hundreds of different reasons

I hate modern cars... all of 'em

I like the fact that scratches and dents make my truck look better

I like the fact that when i'm sat in traffic in it people ignore the 30k BMW in front of me and look at my clapped out wreck!

I like the feeling of slipping your hand into your stuffed wallet....

only to find its stuffed with bills & receipts

Airfix and climbing on tanks as a kid got me started. Dad used to build models and used to take me and my brother to musems and put us on/in tanks. About 10 years ago we went to Beltring and got fed up of walking whilst everyone else was driving, so started with a Champ, but I always wanted a Ferret. We don't like rust, or bodywork, so playing with armour is good as they're basically big kits. We just collect the bits and build 'em!

Chris

Was always interested in WWII and loved to see WWII military vehicles, then deceided that I wanted one and got one. I must admit that this site really gave me a wider vision on WVs, it's not just WWII vehicles that rock my boat now..