Markings for British vehicle

Rlangham

Currently building a few military vehicle kits and going to mark them as being from the Leicestershire Regiment, in NW Europe 44-45 as part of the 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division. Aside from the Polar Bear marking of the 49th Div, does anyone know what other markings a vehicle of the regiment would have wore? Apparently there's supposed to be a square with one or two colours and a number (67 or 68 I think), but does anyone have a book etc that has a definitive answer?

Another member of our group is finishing his jeep in Leics reg markings and another member may get a jeep and would like to do the same, and the square with the number is the bit that's got everyone stumped.

Cheers, Rob

Rob,

Generally speaking, the three Brigades within an Infantry Division used Red, Green and Brown backgrounds.

According to Hodges & Taylor's "British Military Markings 1939 - 1945", 147th Infantry Brigade had a Brown Arm of Service colour and would have used the numbers 94 (for Bde HQ), 67 (11 Royal Scot Fus), 68 (1st Leicester) and 69 (7th Duke of Wellingtons).

• 2 months later...

having used quite a few vehicles (wheeled and tracked) on ops the first thing I noticed was that most of the cam and insignia were lost due to a film of dust that went up to about chest height.

Some Land Rovers were completely light brown except for the roof, clear glass left by windscreen wipers and hand marks. AFVs were usually light brown with various dark oil streaks from the top of the hull down.

On all the only things that stood out (barely) were the huge white painted UN/IFOR/SFOR/KFOR insignia, and the black friendly forces chevrons on the front wings (AFVs).

So if you are going for the battlefront look remember that jet washes are only available in the rear!

having used quite a few vehicles (wheeled and tracked) on ops the first thing I noticed was that most of the cam and insignia were lost due to a film of dust that went up to about chest height.

Some Land Rovers were completely light brown except for the roof, clear glass left by windscreen wipers and hand marks. AFVs were usually light brown with various dark oil streaks from the top of the hull down.

On all the only things that stood out (barely) were the huge white painted UN/IFOR/SFOR/KFOR insignia, and the black friendly forces chevrons on the front wings (AFVs).

So if you are going for the battlefront look remember that jet washes are only available in the rear!

Absolutely.

"A Track Armoured Car" Chapter 6 is currently being written, describing Salisbury Plain Training Area during the hot dry summer of 76 when the washdowns were closed down to save water. Our Scorpions etc had inches-thick layers of almost white chalk dust all over, in particular all rearward-facing surfaces which sat in the eddy behind the moving vehicle.

Tonight I must mention the inches thick layer of dust.

Absolutely.

"A Track Armoured Car" Chapter 6 is currently being written, describing Salisbury Plain Training Area during the hot dry summer of 76 when the washdowns were closed down to save water. Our Scorpions etc had inches-thick layers of almost white chalk dust all over, in particular all rearward-facing surfaces which sat in the eddy behind the moving vehicle.

Tonight I must mention the inches thick layer of dust.

We had enough of the `plains dust` after just one short jolly this year in May

i think Jack is still trying to brush his cargo bed clean :-D

Ashley

I agree with alienftm I WAS THERE, i can remember driving across the Plain and aking my commander what the best thing was to get the dust out of my eyes the reply was TEARS AND EYE LIDS, STOP WINGEING.

BARRY.

PMSL

Sadly, I vaguely remember your commander at that time and I have a vague idea I saw his name in the In Memoriam of the Journal either this year or last.

We are getting old marra.

I starting wearing contacts in 1980 and my first exercise wearing them was Spearpoint when I was commanding a rebro Ferret. Helluva shock when the first grain of dust got behind one and I had to learn to shade me eyes. I think I went out and bought sunglasses to wear over them.