ID required

radiomike7

Can you post any more photos of this truck?

Looking at the back ground it would appear to be in Australia, with a Ford falcon ute of the early 70's there. As for the truck chassis, this appears to be a 6 cylinder engine so probably American unless it was a fire engine chassis from Britain. The tubular front cross member low down on the spring hangers make it be an identifiable feature. However at this point I have no makers name.

Doug

7-spoke wheels makes for fast filtering of Google Images photos.

The Liberty trucks have 7-spoke wheels and a similar style of spring hanger, but without the bar. The hubs are heavier too.

Given that the 7-spoke cast wheel was a Dayton Foundry patent ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Walther_Sr.#World_War_I_-_U.S._Army_Liberty_Trucks ) it seems likely that the truck is American. Though it might well be post-war (the finned exhaust manifold seems quite advanced).

Edited by andypugh

I was looking at those 7 spoke wheels and finned exhaust manifold as well. The front of the cab seems very flat, with none of that curved edges to the metal part you often see.

What, though, is that lump of metal sitting on the front with a crank handle?

trevor

Hi all, I believe it to be an AEC of mid-20's vintage. It was on a property at Monegeetta but has been moved from there. Cheers Robert

Hi Robert, I had my suspicions about AEC from the moment I saw it but failed to identify the model. It is at a private collection, still in Victoria.

Well done Andy.

Looking in a couple of books it would appear to be a 2 ton "2-type" available in either a 12' wheelbase on solids (type 201) or 13' 6" wheelbase on pnuematics (type 202). Curiously, all the period photos I've seen so far show the 201 to have seven spoked wheels but of a T section pattern.

I can not agree to it being an AEC. The tubular cross section for AEC is too high up the dumb irons and the dumb irons themselves are curved. Those on the original question are squared off dumb irons with that cross member well down.

likewise I consider that engine to be a 6 cylinder, by comparing the stud position in relation to the plugs. There remains a space towards the firewall end of the engine after counting 4 plugs.

Lets get a few more photos to assist with the Id.

Doug

I can not agree to it being an AEC. The tubular cross section for AEC is too high up the dumb irons and the dumb irons themselves are curved. Those on the original question are squared off dumb irons with that cross member well down.

Having compared the "mystery" truck with another photo of a known AEC, I don't see any inconsistency in the areas mentioned, whilst the finer details are all highly consistent between the photos.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I stand corrected. It is AEC.

The latter photos show the same cross member and that characteristic double curve to the radiator top. A further search from that link to the AEC Society also shows that same blunt dumb irons. I did not see the red truck with these blunt dumb irons, as I be came engrossed with the earlier models shown. The image of the factory painted grey vehicle shows clearly so much detail.

From the photos otherwise supplied by members, have those vehicles been restored or in an awaiting stage.

Doug