BEDFORD TM 4-4 (8 TON)

simon stolly

Nice!!! tell me where he parks it, I need a crane for mine :evil: :evil: :evil:

Seriously though I am going to fit a crane and shorter bed to mine a soon as I can find one. I've just bought a 1 ton signals box to go on the back or on the Mog or the Rubery Owen trailer, and a crane would come in dead handy as I can't take Grumpy and his Milly everywhere.

I notice that he got a gun mount on his cab, is this GPMG?

Have you got any closer pictures of it?

Could you ask Paul where he gets his spares from as I'm finding parts hard to come by, particularly for the Turner gearbox.

Cheer Simon

Sean, flattery will get you nowhere, as for gear box parts try Ditton service centre near Maidstone in Kent 01732 847777. I believe Turners were taken over by Caterpillar at some point in the 90's.

We had an interesting time on the way back from the Bunker show, the left hand rear tyre blewout in the Medway tunnel (in the middle as you would expect), a bigger bang than Lees pyrotechnics !

This bent the substantial rear mud guard and destroyed all the left rear lights, so we had to get the police to block the lane off while we changed the tyre, Oh what fun we had! Its all being put back together and should be ready hopefully for the Gunpowder mills.

Nice one, I'll give them a go. Are you taking it down to Beltring? And is that a GPMG gun ring on the cab. I have a mount, I just need the ring, any ideas where I could get one from? What was the cause of the blow out as I have noticed that one of my tires is showing signs of the tread pealing. There is a prob on the box, it won't go into 3rd or 4th, all the others are OK. The clutch is bearing is noisy, I've been told that they are all like that, is yours?

I could do with a repair manual for it, but nobody seams to have any, can you help?

Cheers Simon

The TM looks nice and straight, yes it's the GPMG mount on the roof, they appear sometimes on milweb. The "singing" clutch, after changing the release bearing three time and getting Borg and Beck technical involved it's the nature of the double clutch plate, most TMs clutches sound as if the release bearing is dry this is normal don't worry. I probably will not be at the Hop farm (to much hassle).

I will try a couple of contacts for a copy of the manual. The tyre blowout, the pressures were correct and the tyre speed limit of 50mph was not exceeded, it could have been a tyre fault or a piece of debris in the road we will never know!

Thats my rambelling finished.

Nice one, I'll give them a go. Are you taking it down to Beltring? And is that a GPMG gun ring on the cab. I have a mount, I just need the ring, any ideas where I could get one from? What was the cause of the blow out as I have noticed that one of my tires is showing signs of the tread pealing. There is a prob on the box, it won't go into 3rd or 4th, all the others are OK. The clutch is bearing is noisy, I've been told that they are all like that, is yours?

I could do with a repair manual for it, but nobody seams to have any, can you help?

Cheers Simon

Don't want to get people to suck eggs -

Before condemning the gearbox, check the linkage. Worked on these in my REME days and they often had problems.

I personally like the TM's. Much more sexy than the MK/MJ's and be-jesus - did they move compared to the MJ,s.

Hope you get some joy.

Markheliops

Thanks mike for the info on CMS, I will check them out when I'm down Beltring.

Thanks for your help Paul, at least I don't have to worry about the clutch now. If a manual could be sourced, it would be greatly appreciated.

I did a bit on the TM today, I took off the selector "turret" which annoyingly seemed fine. So the problem lies in the box, I plan on draining the box and look for any lumps in the oil, after that, a nose under the side plate may shed some light on matter.

If that fails, (and I feel it will) then it's box out time. Because we have Grumpy's militant parked next to it, moving the bed back and lifting the box up is the route we are planning (unless you know better).

Can't wait to get it on the road or off it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox is dead!!! :shake:

Large lumps of brass and gear dropped out when draining the oil, (bugger)

Still I've now got a replacement box from Crouch's and I hope to get it in today. I must that say that it is a very easy box to remove, with no mounts to worry about.

The Crankshaft oil seal I'm told is felt and leaks from new, can anyone confirm this?

Once again, a good mate with a Militant has proved invaluable, I recommend everybody should get one!! :-D

Some pic's of Sundays surgical operation to remove a dead box of cogs.

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00030.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00032.jpg[/img]

Removing the last of the bell housing bolts.

width=640 height=480http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Poptopshed/DSC00033.jpg[/img]

Out she comes, very black an oily in the bellhousing. :-(

Should be driving properly ready for Kemble MVT show. :-D

She lives!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Got the new box in last night and took her for a blast down the road :-D (with no rear body, cardboard number plates and the rear lights held on with string) :whistle:

Drives great!!!!

Can't wait to pull up next to a MK/MJ/ Leyland Daft(intentional) and ask the owner "whats it like down there?" :evil: :evil: :evil:

It bounces around a bit, but I put this down to having no body on the back.

Kemble here we come.

Now to get the old spray gun out.

Cheers Grumpy (again!!) I hope your missus was understanding.

I love when a plan come together, I just wish it happened more often!

YES the crankshaft oil seal has been designed to leak from new, probably the oldest method of keeping the oil in that Bedford could find! buy the way mine leaks as well, just park it on the grass. Looks like you're having a success with the TM.

AHHHH!!!

How can a man paint a TM in the rain??? :dunno:

For the record the hansom chap in the desert combats (doing all the work) is yours truly and I am being supervised by John (poptopshed)

No I don't know what it means either!

On the other end of the camera (and Militant) is Grumpy Who actually let me near the crane controls the other day (unheard of)

And yes he is. :-D

Is straight SAE 50 the correct grade for the gear/transfer box?

According to Truck 4x4 Bedford Maintenance schedule

Main gearbox and transfer is OMD 330 (SAE 50)

This code I have been told is replaced with these three codes OEP220, OMD113, OX85.

I know OEP220 is SAE 80/90

The thing is EP80/90 is quiet different to SAE 50, the later I am told being very thick

which book are you quoting? Don't get me wrong, I think EP90 is the right oil to use over SAE 50.

I just don't want to put the wrong stuff in :?

EP90 it is then. I haven't contacted John as yet, however I will do tomorrow.

Are you or any one else going to Kemble?

I have been coerced (by a mad T55 owner) into taking a prototype Shoreland armoured land rover 110 down there, on the back of the TM, it's first load in civvy street, hopefully with Grumpy's Militant for company.

I did manage to get the rear chassis sprayed today (in between showers )

And at last, I have my black and silver ally number plates from First Plate(Wednesbury) they do the Sankey type oblong plates (for the back of the TM) and will do military spacing, good plates, cheap prices, awful delivery!

Tomorrow rear body back on!