DLVA - Abolition of Counterpart Driving Licences and Hiring a Car in UK or Abroad

The DLVA have recently abolished the Counterpart driving licences, so if you are soon to be hiring a car for a trip abroad or once you are on holiday, then in advance of the hiring, you need to access the Share Driving License website and enter your license number, the postcode to which the licence is registered and your National Insurance number. This will then produce a reference code for you to give to the Car Hire firm, so that they may check you records to see if you are acceptable to them for the vehicle you hire; such as your class of licence or that you don't have too many penalty points.

However the online reference number given only lasts for 72 hours after which you need to log on again and get another reference if you have not already hired a vehicle.

So if you go aboard take a note of your Drivers Licence number and National Insurance number (hopefully you remember your postcode!), so you can be prepared for that Icelandic Volcano eruption, which might permit you to hire a car in Spain and drive to Calais, to get home rather than wait for the airline to start flying again!

As the new system may take a while to be implemented I suggest you still bring your drivers licence with you just to be sure.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-share-your-driving-licence-information

www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Edited by LarryH57

I've hired cars in the U.S. And Canada a few times and I've never been asked for anything other than the id card portion of the licence.

That's probably because they could not imagine in a million years that any country would issue a photo i.d. driving licence yet require a stupid folded sheet of paper to accompany it. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So am I right in thinking that now instead of just producing a credit card i.d. driving licence, you have to go online to get a reference code? Or is this reference code an alternative to the photo i.d. driving licence? Why not just take the credit card sized licence?

Surely if they have sight of your driving licence they would be able to tap the licence number into a database and access whatever info they require (heaven forbid they could scan the card or something logical like that….).

What then is the point of a photo i.d. driving licence at all? When mine was replaced (I had to send in a current photo), the quality of the image appearing on the licence was so bad as to be effectively useless at identifying me (the first one was not too bad at all).

Anyone else out there thinking life is getting too complicated? :rolleyes:

Tony,

I heard all about this on the radio several weeks ago, apparently any points on your licence will not be known by a car hire company and I guess they do not have direct access to DVLA, which is as it should be. So you have to get the access code for them to check your up to date licence situation regarding driving offences. They are no longer recorded on paper, only back at the database.

Not for 4 more days! Got a nice little letter from DVLA about it. So no paper starts 8th June 2015. Now you need to 1 get onto

www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence 2 Have your Driver number 3 Your national insurance number 4 Your post code. Then you will et a 72 hour valiid code. As in my job it is a legal requirment that the company review details every 6 months, another total balls up.

2 Have your Driver number 3 Your national insurance number 4 Your post code. Then you will et a 72 hour valiid code. As in my job it is a legal requirment that the company review details every 6 months, another total balls up.

How can it be a "balls up" as far as your job is concerned. I would be pretty sure your company (Busesareus) have your licence number and NI number on record, and also your postcode, so they will be able to look whenever they like. :D

I've got an idea: How about a credit card sized driving licence with a decent quality photo on it, and a little chip on which data can be stored, and which you send off to get points put on it.

Stupid idea isn't it……… Smiley digging.gif

How can it be a "balls up" as far as your job is concerned. I would be pretty sure your company (Busesareus) have your licence number and NI number on record, and also your postcode, so they will be able to look whenever they like. :D

Trouble is DVLA themselves, thay made a monumemtal balls up on my licence last year. Despite I and my manager pointing it out to them , they insisted they were in the right. So the manager said will you give me your decison in writing? They then said YES! So I could have legally driven for another five years! Fortunatley me and company decided to follow the protocol anyway, and uncovered something which could have ben nasty if not dealt with.

I have literally just got back from the United States and I rented a car whilst I was there and they only asked for my card part of my ID and my work place, but i'm pretty sure that would be to do with insurance authorisation for non - US citizens and different sized vehicles.

I am in the U.S. at the moment and only had to show my card licence to hire my car, I have been here many times in the years since they introduced the card type licence and never had to show the paper counterpart.

There can be problems with a driving licence forign to a country. Picture a little hire car outlet in an English town. Man comes in with forign licence. Hires a new Ford Focus. Brings car back a week later. Engine running very badly. Car sent back to Ford who then contact hire car firm and ask waht their expected to do about the problem. When told fix engine the answer is 'Why? It's not the engine the car left the factory with'. :D

I hired a car in Canada two weeks ago and Avis were quite happy with just the card although I did have the paper bit with me just in case. The idea of needing to go on-line to get a code sounds like an afterthought elastoplast solution when as NOS states we just need a credit card license with a chip. It could even be integrated within a national ID card system so you only require the one card (lights blue touchpaper and steps back sharpish...)

- MG

Alot of it is about saving money and decreasing administration costs but also alot of it is about knowing where you are, had this discussion earlier today, also included within the discussion was how they can now pretty much well now thanks to anpr in real time map where you or at least where your vehicle is going, personally I dont have a problem with it but eventually all the data will end up in the hands of insurance companies for mileage confirmations and debt collectors who want to get hold of your car or something along those lines, the gvt will eventually say its all about security which can only be a good thing but it wont just be that, its a big brother thing.

I recall when cctv first came about and how alot of people were complaining about big brother watching our every moves and invading our privacy, never bothered me one bit but 25 odd years on !! a news report last week was put out about how some councils are turning off alot of cctv camera's because of the cuts and that our streets will no longer be as safe as they used to be, how perceptions have turned around over the years eh.

The second part paper bit of the licence I think was always stupid thing, an electronic chip in the licence as previously mentioned is a good idea and I can see why they included the 72 hr limit, it wont be long before we get licences with chips in them, tis a good idea personally :cheesy:

Lets just hope the Gendamerie are aware of this can you not see the rows with them when you get a tug at a paege and they try stinging you for not carrying it,of course the dvla would have told there counterparts about it...

Mrs. N.O.S. only has the counterpart paper thingy - never paid for a photo card licence. It would appear the counterpart licence on its own is valid until you are 70 so long as you do not change address - at which time you have to subscribe to a photo card version.

The whole photo i.d. licence card scheme was flawed from the outset - it was doomed never to realise its full potential.

I wonder under what circumstances (e.g. offences) you would be refused rental in UK or Europe, given that in USA / Canada it seems no checks / conditions have been made to date?

Edited by N.O.S.

to be fair out side the uk nobody gives a toss when you hire a car if you have a licence or not as long as buy the minimum insurance they have done there bit. Also and I know this strange in the UK if you have never held a licence you cannot be banned from driving only from holding a licence

advice from barrack room lawyers required here

Edited by cosrec