Chevrolet C60s

HWade

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Alex, yes that porta power makes light work of removing bends and dents, a very handy bit of kit. Yes the body is coming on well now. Hoping to get it back on the truck today, I need space in the paint booth to paint some other items. Howard

Well I managed to get the body back on today, along with the sides made it made it a lot easier to paint the outside of the sides in position on the body.I also got the air compressor pressure gauge and filter fitted, and got to plumb it in to the compressor. A few pics as always.

DSC01476.JPG

DSC01469.JPG

DSC01467.JPG

Peter, going back to the hoops. Where the hoops slot into the upright poles, looks like there is some sort of knuckle. Do you know what stops the hoops jumping out of the knuckle or are they drilled with holes for a locking pin or bolt and nut. Thanks Howard

Peter, going back to the hoops. Where the hoops slot into the upright poles, looks like there is some sort of knuckle. Do you know what stops the hoops jumping out of the knuckle or are they drilled with holes for a locking pin or bolt and nut. Thanks Howard

Howard,

the hoops can be locked in either a low or high position. On 3-ton CMPs the hoops slide in sockets in the body uprights and can be locked in the high position by a pin - I'd say it works the same on this 30-cwt body.
HTH,

Hanno

Another Item That I need to get are the canvas door tops, if some one has a couple for patterns that i could borrow to copy would be helpfull, or even an old pair I could buy and get recovered. Many Thanks Howard

Howard, HTH,

Hanno

Are you asking about the sockets on top of the upright legs Howard ? I've just had a look at the parts book and I can't see a pin listed you should be able to see the component parts and there relevant numbers in the photos I posted of the parts list.

When I made the sockets for my sons C30 (then owned by Steve Stone) the sockets were plug welded in two places and ground back flush to the legs and the top hoops then slotted into them, the weight of the canvas (which is considerable) holds everything together.

Pete

Hello Peter, thanks for getting back to me, It just bothered me because there is a pic of the same body as mine with the hoops and no canvas, with troops in the back. I would have thought the hoops may bounce out of the knuckle without a holding pin. I can certainly agree on the canvas holding them down. Just seeing that pic made me think.

Thanks Howard

Hello Peter, thanks for getting back to me, It just bothered me because there is a pic of the same body as mine with the hoops and no canvas, with troops in the back. I would have thought the hoops may bounce out of the knuckle without a holding pin. I can certainly agree on the canvas holding them down. Just seeing that pic made me think.

Thanks Howard

I know what you mean, but there is a degree of flex in the top bow that exerts an outward force on the socket and it seems to hold everything together just like frame tent poles I suppose. From memory I made the sockets about 2" deep and they need to be a push fit not too sloppy.

Pete

Hello Peter, thanks for that. Think we will go for that then. Dont suppose you have any old door tops floating around. Howard

No sorry Howard mine went with my C15A when I sold it. My son has a set on the C30 I will be back in England next month so if you can wait I can get some photos with a tape measure on them if it's any use. We had several sets of door curtains and full canvas including the windscreen flaps rad muffs and curtain bags for the cabs made by Undercover Covers (I'm not sure if they are still trading from original patterns) and an excellent job they were too.

Pete

Just found them here's the link http://www.undercovercovers.co.uk/photos_ex_military.html

Edited by Pete Ashby
added link

Well managed to get more done for the chevrolet, the tool boxes are now painted and fitted to the underside of the body. Doors have been painted and to be fitted. Got to make some frame work for new door tops and get the canvas fitted.

DSC01502.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

More work carried out on the C60S. I have also had the Hoops made, along with the poles and sockets,a big thank you to Adrian for making the Hoops. WE collected them today, got them prepped and painted in primer. Top coat may be tomorrow.

DSC01508.JPG

DSC01509.JPG

DSC01512.JPG

Hello There, thanks for all those kind words, the switch for the convoy light on this what remained of it was on the back chassis rail, or would that have been for trailer lights, I know there was a socket of sorts but they were pretty rotten. If any body out there has any parts for this please let me know. I have fitted the two rubber rear lights but they only take a single filament bulb, so I need another pair of rubber rear lights for the brake lights. Indicators I will use some small discreet rubberlite ones if i can get some. Thanks. Howard

Well I sorted out the rear brake lights and indicators today. I firstly fitted a junction box on the rear rail then fixed on the brackets for the lights, they were then wired in. I also bonded the body to the chassis for a good earth, as well as an earth in the junction box. Also got the poles and hoops fitted.Here are a Couple of pics, are take some better ones when I get the truck outside. Howard

DSC01520.JPG

DSC01519.JPG