Chevrolet C60s

HWade

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on the C60s. I have started on the rear body, the outer parts of the steel floor have been cut out and new pieces have been made, as well as new wheel arches have been rolled. We have also plasma cut out the holes in the steel floor where the holes locate for the side uprights to slide into. I am just waiting for folded box section so I can get this welded into place. Heres a few pics of the truck on her own boots. also showing the new seat cushions.

DSC01356.JPG

DSC01357.JPG

DSC01376.JPG

Edited by HWade

Well we managed to get the new channel fitted to the bottom of the sides, ready for sliding into the locating holes in the floor. I am waiting for the sections that weld into the floor to be fabricated, hoping to have these next week. We also made up the hinge for the tailgate. here is a couple of pics of the sides and tailgate together, yet to be fixed correctly.We also have a new head board to fabricate as this was missing from the truck.

DSC01381.JPG

DSC01384.JPG

DSC01382.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well the truck is coming on well, We have got one side of the body completed with the wheel arch welded into place and the holes drilled where it bolts to the arch on the side of the body.I have also ground down the welds of the rear of the floor where it had expanded due to rust. This has been removed and the back edge hammered back flat and welded back down. We have also made a start on the opposite side welding in the floor and other rear arch. I have also ordered the sheet metal work and channel for the front head board.Well thats it for now.

DSC01412.JPG

DSC01410.JPG

DSC01418.JPG

Well more work has been done to the rear body. Both of the rear arches are now welded in and also the outside areas of the floor, also repaired rear end of body. Have also had the head board sheet metal work folded. ( Thanks to Adrian for that). A few more pics.

DSC01433.JPG

DSC01434.JPG

DSC01435.JPG

DSC01437.JPG

Well more work carried out on the C60S, the headboard has been made and prefitted. We now have to strip it all down for blasting and painting the underside and top side of the floor, ready for priming and top coating.We also managed to use a porta power to remove some dents from the top of the body. A few pics as always. Thanks to Adrian again for folding the sheet metal and making the brackets.

DSC01437.JPG

DSC01441.JPG

DSC01448.JPG

DSC01449.JPG

Just wondered if any body knows the height of the steel tubes require for the hoops on the back of the body. It looks like on one of the pictures on page 3 that there is a knuckle joint that the hoop it self slots into. Or are they one complete hoop from one side to the other. Are they tall enough so you are able to stand in the back of the truck without stooping. Looking at some old black and white pics looks like you have a front and rear curtains, then a main canvas sheet, is this correct. I now need to get all this made. Thanks Howard.

Some factory photos that show the canvas for the 30cwt and 3 ton range of early CMP's.

Note its a one piece canvas that wraps around the front and back like a big parcel. The photos show a 4A1 body but the canvas will be the same although the hood bows are slightly different in so much as they have longitudinal braces fitted which your version does not have. The overall height to the top of the bars is 120" for all models of GS 30cwt and 3 ton at this period.

Pete

8441 GS Lorry cab 11 626-181241.jpg

8441 GS Lorry cab 11 628-181241.jpg

8443 GS (MGO) 11 cab 644-191241.jpg

AT-287.jpg

Hello Pete

Thanks for that, not sure what to do, I am not so keen on the one piece canvas, what do you think would you go down the three piece route or a single sheet. Howard

I guess at the end of the day it's what ever your client wants..... but for an anorak purist like me I would go for the one piece sheet every time. My son David has a one piece on his C30 11 cab winch truck and it looks the business I think.

Pete

Chev014[1].jpg

Just wondered if any body knows the height of the steel tubes require for the hoops on the back of the body. It looks like on one of the pictures on page 3 that there is a knuckle joint that the hoop it self slots into. Or are they one complete hoop from one side to the other. Are they tall enough so you are able to stand in the back of the truck without stooping. Looking at some old black and white pics looks like you have a front and rear curtains, then a main canvas sheet, is this correct. I now need to get all this made. Thanks Howard.

Howard, here's a photo taken from a CMP body manual. No dimensions in there but I could scan it properly so you can guesstimate from the drawing. As you saw on page 3 of this thread the hoops can be locked in either a low or high position. On 3-ton CMPs the hoops slide in sockets in the body uprights and can be locked in the high position by a pin - I'd say it works the same on this 30-cwt body.

IMG_5094.jpg

Here is an in service photo of another example in service in Tunisia, Sicily or Italy. This photo comes from another of Bill Greggs books. It looks like the tilt hoops have been lowered to their shipping height and are used as grab rails. I can't make out the Div sign on the near side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104718[/ATTACH]

The canvas on 30-cwt and 3-ton trucks was a one-piece affair, as on British trucks of the same weight class. Front and rear were covered by folding over the canvas.

CMP-Chevrolet-C60L#12-cab.jpg

HTH,

Hanno

I see my friend already supplied proper scans of said manual earlier on - sorry I missed it Pete :thumbsup:

Couple of scans from the October 1941 DND special pattern bodies part list that may be of interest

Pete

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104692[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]104693[/ATTACH]

Edited by mcspool

Well done Hanno:-) I thought it was something to do with time lapse in the land of the Clog :D.

That's a very nice picture of a F30 not seen that before

Pete, even with the benefit GMT +2:00 and all we're a bit sluggish here in the land of the Clog (note: Dutch klompen are EU approved work & safety footwear!).

Replied to Howard's last posting, your informative-as-ever postings were on the next page already. But I'm glad to have been able to contribute something at least, and thanks for saving me having to dig out that manual to make scans.

PS: it was good to see your reaction on 'Agent O's new truck, but speaking of time lapse it was after 4 years of being silent on MLU :D

Edited by mcspool

PS: it was good to see your reaction on 'Agent O's new truck, but speaking of time lapse it was after 4 years of being silent on MLU :D

Resting Old Boy .......... never silent.

Yes I'll pass judgment on 'Agent O's ' latest acquisition hopefully at the end of the month.

Sorry Howard for hi jacking your thread :blush:

Pete

hi Peter, I see from the pics that on the trucks with the body like yours there are bars going the other way to tie the hoops together yet on the body like mine it appears not to have them is this correct. Thanks Howard

hi Peter, I see from the pics that on the trucks with the body like yours there are bars going the other way to tie the hoops together yet on the body like mine it appears not to have them is this correct. Thanks Howard

Yes that's correct Howard there are no longitudinal braces on your type of body just the hoops.

Pete

If any body knows of where I can get a canvas that, would be helpful, I am aware I can get one made but a N.O.S would be nice or even a good second hand one. Size wise I will have a measure but its going to be a pretty big sheet. Thanks Howard