Chevrolet C60s

HWade

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All, many thanks for all the offers of a carb I am now sorted. I have managed to get the top half of the cab all top coated, just got to get some trim, to go around the edge. I have also had a stainless steel exhaust made this is also now fitted.

German half track parts 002.JPG

German half track parts 001.JPG

German half track parts 002.JPG

Well I attacked the outer and inner windscreens today. The out will clean up very nicely but the inner is a different story, this is going to need quite a bit of repair work. However if anybody has an inner frame for sale then i would be interested. Thanks Howard

chevrolet windscreen 001.JPG

chevrolet windscreen 002.JPG

chevrolet windscreen 003.JPG

chevrolet windscreen 004.JPG

chevrolet windscreen 005.JPG

Hello Phil, thanks for that, interesting that your inner frame work can hinge out, Was this standard on all the c60 trucks. My truck has a fix screen in that it was screwed and held in place with a long top plate with lots of countersunk screws. Does any body know is it possible to bolt back the outer frame and fit the roof back on or does the inner screen have to be in place first before fitting the whole frame to the truck. Thanks Howard

Hi Howard

You raise an interesting question, all of the Pattern 12 Cabs I have seen had windshieldsome that opened, while Pattern 11 had fixed. As the two patterns share a lot of parts was there a change over period when fixed windshields were put on Pat 12s. Or could have been done as a replacement? Or could it have been done post war to address leakage?

On the topic of leakage in the area of windshield and hood, there is a problem with heavy rain hitting the windshield running down under the lip of the hood and dribbling into the air cleaner where it collects. Two things I've seen happen rusted out aircleaner the other happened at a meet with heavy rain truck would not start the aircleaner was half full of water which blocked air from getting in. Guess I was lucky that it didn't sucked the water into the engine.

Cheers Phil

Yes Phil, that small water gutter under the hood area is not a very clever design, it would not be a bad idea to have a tube on both ends sending water down through the engine bay to the ground, at the moment water collects between the inner body and would rot out. I have another question. How thick is the padding in the seat cushions. And how thick is the padding in the seat back rests. I managed to get the outer windscreen frame balsted and primed today, also a few other bits. Howard

Hi Howard

Only my HUP had original seat cushions and back rests, which I will measure and post. They are horse hair cushions, and after 70 years of use have lost much of their softness, in they ever had much. Seat bottoms are springs with thin layer of horse hair cushion.

My Pat 13 C60S had original seat bottoms with poor copies of the seat back cushions. The Pat 12 cushions were gone, but the good news is Pat 13 seat cushions fit, so it was easy two sew up new covers.

My Pattern 12 C60L does not have a drain gutter across hood opening instead it apparent relied on a rubber gasket. I suspect this water problem was the death of engines when aircleaners filled with water to the point that it ran into the carb and down into the engine.

Cheers Phil

Hello Phil, Thanks for that look forward to getting the sizes of the cushions. I mad a bit more progress and got the outer frame bolt back on loose, I am pretty sure i can fit the inner frame after it only screws on, and the rubber seal runs in a bottom groove. Howard

Hello Phil, Thanks for that look forward to getting the sizes of the cushions. ...... Howard

Hi Howard

Bottom seat cushions are 6 inches thick at the front and 4 inches at the back edge. As too stiffness of the springs I weigh about 160 pounds and I bottom out on hard bumps. Probably the equivalent of dropping your bottom on to the seat from height of 6 to 8 inches.

Seat back cushions are 1 1/4 to 1 /2 inches thick. With Pattern 12 you really can't make them much thicker, because of the tightness of the cab.

Do you have seat covers to work from as patterns?

Cheers Phil

Hello Phil

Thanks for the sizes, yes I do have a pattern, well for the back so i can see where they clip on. The base cushion covers look pretty easy. I dont have springs so they bases will be foam. As for work on the truck, i have straightened the front bumper this has now been blasted and primed and so has the brush guard. I have decided to leave the original paint on the seat frames as its not to bad and its nice to leave something original. Are post some pics of the seat cushions soon as they have been made. Howard

chev 003.JPG

chev 002.JPG

chev 004.JPG

Thats very handy thanks, ive printed those pics off to give to my upholstery man. I fitted the rebuilt dynamo today but after a run theres no charge showing on the gauge. I am wondering if its the control box. If some one has a spare for sale or one I could try to rule out mine that would be handy. thanks Howard.

Hi Howard

"I fitted the rebuilt dynamo today but after a run theres no charge showing on the gauge. I am wondering if its the control box."

As many times done this I keep going back to the manual and going through it step at a time. In general it will be something simple, here is my list of simple stuff that have tripped me up.

1. Forgetting to repolarized the generator

2. Wires on wrong terminal

3. Rust or corrosion on regulators terminals, this has gotten me twice

4. Did the generator turn doing the motoring test?

5. If not then check that the brushes are actually making contact, somethings they hang

6. Use ohm meter to check the regulator, per the manuals

Hope this helps

Cheers Phil

Edited by CMP-Phil

Hi Phil, well the dynamo does work as i picked it up today from the electrical engineers.Its also been polarised, I also cleaned the contacts on the regulator box. But still no joy. Just as a matter of interest are your trucks negative or posative earth. Mine is negative. Are put a meter on the control box tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks Howard

Hi Howard

All three of mine are negative ground, but your question about positive or negative ground is a good one as Chevrolets at that point that were a mix. I've have a 1940 Canadian Chevrolet and Maple Leaf Truck and GMC in tells you to reverse the instructions for checking regulator, which is very confusing. The regular MB-C2 manual is much easier to follow.

Did you polarize the generator or did the shop? Reason I ask is that after working my way through all the regulator checks and still not getting out put I've repolarized and the thing started working.

Working out little problems like this is one of the reasons I set up engines on test stand before putting the engine into the truck, Pattern 11&12 cabs have such good access to the engine.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil. your right about the engine bay, loads of room, ha,ha. I tried to test the regulator, but no joy, so I have sent both the regulator and the dynamo to the auto electric shop. I should here tomorrow. Thanks Howard

Hello Niels, yes I found one in the USA so I have ordered that. I have managed to get a bit more completed I have made and fitted the front vent grills, the mesh is metal, I have use this insteadd of alloy, as I thought it would be a good Idea to use magnetic material to go on top if you dont wont to use the vents will also stop heavy rain going down the vent. I have also got the dynamo and control box back and fitted, its all up and charging as it should. I also fitted the rubber seals at the top of the cab that bolts against the top of the windscreen frame. Howard

chevrolet 015.JPG

chevrolet 018.JPG

chevrolet 012.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hello Niels, Well I have finally got all the brakes bled and filled with brake fluid, I had a hell of a job trying to track down some banjo bolts, but in the end they were made in the lathe. I plan on making a new inner windscreen next. I have to admit I have made a start on a Command Car and I have been tied up on that, but I am due to get back onto the chev in a couple of weeks. Thanks Howard

• 1 month later...

Well a bit of an update on the C60s, well the doors have had the old skins removed, and i have blasted and primed the frames, there was a small bit of welding to do but nothing to drastic. In fact I was quite amazed at the condition of the frame metal they were not painted and there was not to much rust, thats about it at the moment. pics to follow after the new skins have been fitted.

Howard

Chevrolet c60s 001.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 002.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 003.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 004.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 005.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 010.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 011.JPG

• 1 month later...

Bit more of an update on the restoration of the c60s. I have now got the tyres fitted back to the wheels, they went back together very well. All the wheel bearings have been greased up and the truck is now sitting back on her wheels. I now have a bit of adjusting up with the doors, I can then get these painted. Are post some pics as soon as.