Free wheel hubs on a Dodge WC54

Tony B

Question

I already have free whel hubs on my WC51, and am considering them for the WC54. Maybe because the 54 has truck tyres on but she can be heavy , very heavy on the steering, which the 51 isn't and full lock groans a bit. Does anyone know a supplier and which version of free wheel hub I'd need?

12 answers to this question

Richard. Tyre presure is currently at 40 psi, that's what I use in the bar grips and NATOS. There is a lot more rubber on the road than bar grips. What sort of pressure do you think I should try?

Enigma: I'll be doing 'After trip' checks today, I'll have a look and check.

Arcot. I find they also make them a bit quieter as the front axle dosen't rumble so much.

Edited by Tony B

I'm with Enigma on this one, have you tried jacking up the front end and checking how heavy the steering is without weight on ? You could have tightness somewhere, on Land Rovers the steering idler can partially seize and cause extremely heavy steering, I am unsure of exactly what the Dodge set up is but it is worth checking all the steering for tight spots etc.

Richard. Tyre presure is currently at 40 psi, that's what I use in the bar grips and NATOS. There is a lot more rubber on the road than bar grips. What sort of pressure do you think I should try?

Tony,

Check the wording on the side walls, it often has max pressure for given load. The fact that the tyre has a larger footprint than bargrip type tyres could be the reason for heavy steering.

Do you have any pictures of the FWH's that you fitted last time? Curious as Acmat's a supposedly an upgrade of the Dodge system.

In reality I haven't seen anything mechanically Dodge like from an interchangeability point of view but I may be looking at the wrong dodge manuals.

So Mike: Theonly info on the hubs is Superwinch, can't fing a model number.

Enigma: Sterring box oil was at level

Richard: Looks like your right. I've hunted through all sorts of graphs and calculations, and come to the conclusion the minimum tyre pressure should be about 55 to 60 psi. So will jack it tomorrow.There are no definitive pressure markings on the tyres I can fined but there 14 ply Radial so should be OK.