WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

The porosity in the small bolting flange is annoying but not the end of the world. I shall make up the small flange with its pipe that bolts on to it, just to see exactly where the bolting holes are going to come - and then plan how to deal with the porous bit. It may well be that the easiest solution is to drill or mill out the porous bit and replace it with a piece of bronze rod - either to screw it or silver solder in. I think that it will become apparent as I proceed.

Tony

I guess that will depend on how big the void turns out to be .

Yes, I think so. I have pushed a bit of wire into the hole and find that it is as deep as 3/8" in one place - but it seems to taper inwards and does not go right through the casting - so I remain optimistic that it is nothing that cannot be put right!

Tony

Tony made up the embryo flange which will hold the smaller water pipe to the elbow - just so that he could see where the holes are going to come on the elbow - bearing in mind the porosity that we have found. No problem then apparent that could not be overcome.

DSCN1994.jpg

DSCN1995.jpg

DSCN2004.jpg

Drilled out the porosity in the small flange - diameter 1/2" - turned a plug from cast gun metal and silver soldered it into the hole.

Cleaned up the dirtiness on the elbow after the brazing - then reset the elbow in the milling machine and machined the surface back again. The elbow now ready for further work to complete it. We hope that the bulk of the porosity has now been taken out and it will be interesting to see if any more appears when the three holes are drilled into that small flange!

DSCN1996.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN2006.jpg

Another productive day. Tony marked out and drilled the three fixing holes in the Elbow first of all and then used those to locate the corresponding holes on the cover. Drilled out the holes in the cover and tapped them 3/8"BSF. Opened up the holes in the Elbow for clearance for the Stainless Steel Bolts made earlier and married the Elbow and the cover together.

DSCN2008.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

He then put the three holes in the small bolting face of the Elbow for the smaller copper pipe to the Inlet Manifold - the throat on the Milling Machine and on the Pillar Drill are not big enough to take the Elbow in a vertical position - so he set it up on the Cross-slide of the lathe and drilled the three holes that way - the two smaller holes to be tapped out to 1/4"BSF and the larger hole to 1/2" for the water passage.

There were obviously more problems around that area of the flange with porosity and also possibly inclusions as the noise the drill was making and the vibrations coming from it during the operation were significant, but he seems to have drilled all of those out and fortunately was left with clean surfaces.

DSCN2015.jpg

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2017.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

The little flange to take the copper pipe is still to be finished - it has to have a 7/8" boss on it into which the copper pipe is soldered and that will be tomorrow's job.

Getting near the end of this Pump construction and final assembly of all the components now very shortly..

Lovely job as usual mate , I wish I had the skills you have ! It would appear that you can make anything you wish ! :-D

Thanks for your compliments Andy. We are very fortunate in the skills we share but I am absolutely convinced that anyone can do it if they want to enough. Just buy a book and have a go! That's how Dad started it all.

I am currently reading up on blacksmithing. There are several brackets on the bodywork which will require hand forging and rather than pay someone to do it, I want to do it myself. You will undoubtably see the results in due course and be able to have a laugh at my efforts. That's fine. Hopefully, I will get better with practice!

Steve

A little bit more done little today - Tony finished off the flange to take the Inlet Manifold water pipe. The pictures of the method didn't come out very well but the four attached should be self explanatory.

The two bits of brass were silver soldered together and a 15mm hole drilled in the assembly afterwards to take standard 15mm copper pipe.

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

The two bits of brass were silver soldered together and a 15mm hole drilled in the assembly afterwards to take standard 15mm copper pipe.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

15mm copper pipe? Surely you'll be getting imperial pipe and not metric!

Productive day today.

Tony drilled and tapped the Pump Body 1/4"BSP for the Drainage Tap. Straight forward and no problem. Had to hold the Pump Body on the cross slide of the lathe again to drill it because of insufficient clearance in the Milling Machine and Drill.

DSCN2043.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

Time now to attach the Pump Body to the Pump mount - the parts were first of all offered up to the lorry so that he locate the Body on the Mount so that the top pipe flange would be horizontal - or parallel with the line of the engine.. Also an opportunity to see how the pipe to the bottom of the radiator and to the inlet manifold would line up.

DSCN2047.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

DSCN2049.jpg

DSCN2050.jpg

Holes now drilled into the pump body to hold to the mounting - lined up from the previously drilled pilot holes in the mounting - then opened up and tapped 3/8"BSF - using previously made stainless steel bolts to fix the two together. Pilot holes in the mounting then opened up for clearance of the 3/8" bolts

The job is now mainly done - perhaps tomorrow before the Rugby starts, he will locate the cover where we want it and drill through from pilot holes already placed in that to fix the cover to the body.

As you can imagine, the whole unit is quite a weight - hope the engine is man enough to hold it!

DSCN2052.jpg

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

Lovely work, as usual.

The problem with all these ' one-offs ' is that to get the machining dimensions and know you have a usable end product you are going to end up making everything out of a slightly heavier section casting than the original.

I'll bet the original production unit would be upwards of 20% lighter than your new one and consequently a lot lighter. Like me part of your casting coat will be the casting material weight, as that stuff isn't cheap, or light. ( I got some gunmetal bronze brackets cast for my DUKW and Weasel compass mounts, 2 Kg per bracket, or should I say four and a half pounds ...?)

Gordon

Yes, I am sure you are right. My pattern making skills are only modest and I tend to err on the side of caution so everything is a bit thicker than it need be. I guess that if we were making dozens of them I would gradually rework the patterns to use the minimum amount of metal as the cost would be an issue. For one off, I am satisfied if they simply work!

Incidentally, the early pattern pumps were made of aluminium but there was much comment in the automotive press at the time about the high rate of corrosion that they suffered. They would, however, have been lighter.

The first run of the engine is beginning to come over the horizon. It's all getting rather exciting!

Steve

Drilled and tapped the holes 1/4" BSF in the Pump Body today to hold the cover - using the previously drilled pilot holes in the cover as guides. The pilot holes were finally opened up to clearance size for the bolts.

With all the main parts now made up, we are ready for a trial assembly of the whole unit.

DSCN2061.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2063.jpg

DSCN2066.jpg

You don't need an exhaust pipe on to run it :cool2:.....Engines always sound good straight out the manifold.:D Ran a mates mini without a pipe on, sounded awesome :shocked: :nut:

You guys are doing such excellent work on this machine. People say they can't wait to see the finished product, but I'm enjoying seeing how you guys tackle each problem. Keep up the astounding work!

The trial assembly of the Water Pump now successfully completed and this sequence of photographs will show the procedure.

Firstly, the impeller was be fitted to the shaft. Keyways have been machined but no key fitted at this preliminary trial. A bronze or copper washer needs to be made up to go under the nut.

The impeller and shaft then dropped into the pump body.

DSCN2069.jpg

DSCN2070.jpg

DSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2072.jpg

Next, the gland and gland nut were placed over the shaft and tightened.

Then the mounting was placed over the shaft, gland and gland nut and the mounting was bolted to the pump body.

DSCN2073.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2079.jpg

Then, the pump cover was offered up to the pump body and tightened down.

The front elbow was then bolted to the cover.

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2083.jpg

DSCN2085.jpg

DSCN2087.jpg

The top elbow was then placed into position on top of the pump but this has not yet been drilled to take its fixing studs from the top flange of the pump - and neither has this yet had its studs fitted. It may be necessary to machine a slope on the bolting face of the angle to ensure that it properly lines up with the corresponding pipe fitting on top of the engine as there is a copper pipe joing the two and not a rubber pipe - so it will be essential that they come into line.

DSCN2088.jpg

DSCN2089.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2093.jpg

The whole unit weighs in at about 30lbs.

The impeller is turning freely and smoothly within the pump!

Job done!

Next job - to fit it to the engine.