WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Barry has very kindly arranged the wire cutting of the spline and the square in the two Couplers and has sent us these photos of them. They will be with us very shortly and we look forward to good session of assembling all of the bits that are now ready for the Dennis over the Easter break when all the team will be back in Devon.

coupler1.jpg

coupler2.jpg

coupler3.jpg

With the arrival this morning of the couplings (Thanks Barry) there remain only two components needed to connect the starting handle to the back axle. These are the intermediate drive shaft between the gearbox and torque tube and the clutch release bearing carrier. We are very fortunate in that we have copies of the original drawings (Thanks Ben). Steve has therefore gone ahead and made the bearing carrier.

He started off by roughing out a piece of 40mm mild steel plate using a hacksaw.

DSCN1909-1.jpg

Tony does have a bandsaw but it is 200 miles away! It was then faced and bored in the lathe

DSCN1912a.jpg

DSCN1914a.jpg

and the spigots turned on the ends

DSCN1915a.jpg

DSCN1916a.jpg

The outer face was generated by using the dividing head to turn it underneath a milling cutter for which the mill had to be set at maximum height.

DSCN1920a.jpg

Then the dividing head was set over at 45° to machine the chamfer.

DSCN1922a.jpg

By now, it was looking quite nice

DSCN1926a.jpg

but the next stage was to case harden the back and inner surfaces where they run on the clutch spigot. To do that, it was heated to red hot and then placed into some case hardening compound. The camera flash has hidden the red heat but it was!

DSCN1929a.jpg

Then it was taken outside again and reheated for a while to allow the carbon to soak into the surface before quenching in water.

DSCN1932a.jpg

if I need one of those, even for one of my most obscure vehicles, I just phone up a dealer with a debit card number and he pops one in the post ...

All power to your various elbows, lathes, and milling heads. Want to bet you'll find an original now that you have made one?

Gordon

Want to bet you'll find an original now that you have made one?

Yes, that's usually the way! What Tim hasn't mentioned is that I started off with 5.5kg of steel and ended up with a component weighing 825g!

Steve

Edited by Old Bill

Easter is always a time for a family get together and truck assembly. We have a lot to do this weekend, but have had to delay some parts of the reassembly until next time. We did however undertake a trial fit of the torque tube ball joint which was very succesfull. All very heavy and a little awkward. Cant wait until we do it with the prop shaft and torque tube in place. That will be fun!

DSCN2122.jpg

DSCN2124.jpg

Somehow i managed to lose my head:

DSCN2125.jpg

DSCN2127.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

and have a go to see if the prop shaft fits in to the newly made differential coupling:

DSCN2131.jpg

It did first time. Proper job.

Tim

New leather oil seal being fitted and wired to the end of the torque tube:

DSCN2146.jpg

DSCN2147.jpg

The next task was to move the tube into position ready to fit. As you can see it was quite heavy:

DSCN2150.jpg

DSCN2151.jpg

DSCN2152.jpg

All lined up and sitting on our lifting table ready to be bolted up:

DSCN2154.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

DSCN2163.jpg

Still doing the same thing, but as i am doing my Emperor impersonation from "Return of the Jedi" i thought i would add another photo:

DSCN2164.jpg

Always useful having odd bits of furniture around the shed:

DSCN2168.jpg

The next task was to bolt the cross member and the rest of the ball joint on to the end of the tube:

DSCN2172.jpg

Then lining up the cross member to its bracket proved problematical. We straightened up the axle by chocking one wheel and jacking the other one forwards:

DSCN2166.jpg

Then to move the whole axle forwards, Steve came up with the idea of dragging it into position with ratchet straps secured around the chassis:

DSCN2175.jpg

This worked and we had another major component fitted at last (and something less on the floor to trip over).

DSCN2179.jpg

Great work as always , those wire cut parts look spot on ,

I came up against a brick wall this last week needing some parts machining , due to them been case hardened it was proving dificult to find someone able to do them , in the end found an engineer that did wire cutting and spark erosion , quite amazing the work these machines can do :-)

Can we have some more explanation please? Was the rear axle slightly misaligned on the springs? What defines the posiiton relationship between the axle and springs on your lorry? I hope the drive train is going to be complete this Easter!

Barry.

On all of the other ancient vehicles on which I have worked, the front of the rear springs are pinned directly to the chassis frame so the drive forces and braking forces are transferred from the axle through the springs. On the Dennis, both ends of the springs are mounted on swinging links and these forces are carried into the chassis through the torque tube and the big ball joint in the centre. The position of the axle is controlled by the tube. When we bolted up the tube, it could immediately be seen that the back axle was not quite square to the frame as the ball was off-centre. To correct this, we chocked one wheel and then jacked the other backwards until it came into line and bolted up the ball joint. You can see the sort of forces that the tube resists by the number of bolts securing it to the front of the differential housing.

Unfortunately the drive train won't be completed this Easter as we are still missing the intermediate drive shaft between the back of the gearbox and the ball joint. I have found the part number for this shaft from the parts book and then had a look on the Surrey History Centre website in their drawing list where I found that they have the original drawing still. Ben very kindly went down and copied it for us but the drawing shows two different lengths! I couldn't order one until we had worked out which one we need. Part of yesterdays exercise was to measure the installation to decide which one it should be. I will order up the shaft this week from Charles Leek and Sons in Staffordshire as they made such a nice job of the half-shaft for us. Then we will have all of the bits from starting handle to wheels and we really will be getting close!

Steve

Edited by Old Bill
Company name correction

With the Easter Break coming to an end and with Steve already having returned to Leicester, we can reflect on most of our objectives for the weekend having been achieved. We had hoped to complete the Universal Coupling assembly between engine and gearbox with all the bits for it having been made and ready - but what we thought was a 2" Thrust Bearing turned out to be the metric equivalent - so we were thwarted with that one. (ChrisG - expect to hear from Tim for a correct one!)

Yesterday afternoon and most of today was taken up with fitting the Water Pump. First of all, the mounting was fixed to the engine and then the pump body to that.

The delivery pipe was offered up to the pump and engine to see how it looked. This was just a piece of copper pipe with a bend at 90 degrees put into by the Supplier but purposely left over length on both ends so that it could be tailored to its position.

The inlet elbow on the pump lined up with the bottom of the radiator first time with no problem and was joined up with a piece of rubber pipe.

DSCN2190.jpg

DSCN2192.jpg

DSCN2196.jpg

DSCN2199.jpg

The delivery elbow for the water pump was unfortunately made at too great an angle and if left as it was, it would have aimed the big copper pipe off course. To correct this, the pipe on the elbow was cut just above the bolting flange. The two rough-cut ends of this were fly cut at correcting angles and the two parts of the elbow were then brazed together again. This corrected the problem. After dressing it off, the joint is scarcely visible.

A further dry run fitting the pipe showed that the assembly lined up correctly.

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2208-1.jpg

DSCN2215.jpg

I have not made any posts for a few days as i have been otherwise distracted with gardening. Well, when i say gardening I really mean hacking back the undergrowth to get to what I know is underneath.

We parked the Thornycroft chassis (with Peerless on top) behind the shed about 15 years ago. Covered it over with tarpaulins and left it. Over the next few years we stacked stuff under it and in front of it and ocassionally put another tarpaulin on top. Some years ago we looked after the remains of another Dennis (a 1920's dustcart) for some friends who never came back for it. As we were looking for some throttle linkage and because the undergrowth was getting a little out of hand we thought it time to dig it all out and see what we have.

We spent a couple of days getting the brambles out of the way. Then today it was time to take off the tarpaulins. I did this cautiously as we once found an adder (a poisnous snake, although not very) near by and was cautious in case the family had made this thier home.

DSCN2230.jpg

In the open air again after 15 years of storage:

DSCN2232.jpg

Found the Peerless fuel tank, we will need that soon - well maybe in a few years:

DSCN2234.jpg

Dennis wheel hubs - getting close:

DSCN2236.jpg

Dennis rad top tank - loveley, but no good to us:

DSCN2238.jpg

DSCN2239.jpg

The Dennis pile (part of):

DSCN2246.jpg

Not sure what this is, but it was in the Dennis pile:

DSCN2250.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

I pulled out the Dennis parts (except for the axles) and started snapping.

DSCN2251.jpg

DSCN2252.jpg

DSCN2253.jpg

DSCN2255.jpg

DSCN2260.jpg

DSCN2262.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

Lots of interesting bits and pieces, but it all looks to small for ours.

I will have a final look around tomorrow then cover it all over again. At least it all looks a lot tidier now and will make it easier to get the Thorny out once we have finished the Dennis. Except of course, for the 14 spare axles that are stacked in front of it. But we will worry about that when the time comes.

Many thanks for that information - something that we have never heard of!

I think that probably most of our "spares" are already heavily rusted and that there would be no real benefit in doing anything further to them. However, something to bear in mind for the future - and thanks again!

Tony

No problem - I agree it's not going to make things any less rusty but it will soak in nicely to a rough rusty surface and hopefully help preserve them for when you next lift the tarp in another 15 years.

It's also quite good for lighting the wood burner, mind your eyebrows though!