WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

....and as I asked the question about pump size....I knew in the back of my mind that I already knew the answer. It is a Steve guessed, related to pump speed. On my engine and similar engines the pump runs at crank speed whilst on Steve's engine it is at camshaft speed.

Barry.

We started to machine the last of the first batch of Water Pump Castings which is the mounting, but disappointingly, found a very large number of inclusions in it.

It needs to be bored out to ¾” diameter for the shaft, but the inclusions are so bad and so deep within the casting that we have been unable to get under them to obtain the required running fit. We shall ask the Foundry to re-cast this one for us.

DSCN1681.jpg

DSCN1680.jpg

DSCN1674.jpg

We shall ask the Foundry to re-cast this one for us.

An excellent thread as always guys. Which foundry do you use and where are they based? I ask as my Dad runs a foundry who do a lot of little loose pattern jobs, as well as vintage blocks and heads, if it's one of his I'll have to give him a dressing down:-D

A pity that casting is are not usable, on the other hand it lets you practice your machining methods. When they do the next castings will you have them do more than one , just incase the same problem happens again so your not waiting for them to redo .

on the other hand it lets you practice your machining methods. When they do the next castings will you have them do more than one , just incase the same problem happens again so your not waiting for them to redo

Always very glad to have the practice - but it can be annoying when things don't go quite right and you want to get a job done! It is time that this lorry was moving as we have been on it long enough and this sort of thing delays matters once again.

Not really practical to get more than one casting done as they are quite expensive and generally, they work out OK first time. I think that we were just unlucky. I shall go to the Foundry on Monday with the final batch of three patterns for the Water Pump and will talk this failure through with them - I'll let you know what they have to say.

Tony

Edited by Marmite!!
Quote tags

There are not that many small jobbing foundries left in the UK now. When it comes to doing something complicated like crank cases, blocks and heads with 'cheap' pattern equipment there is probably ony three who can do it.... without charging sky high prices, I am thinking of G&W in Shropshire (if you took a loose pattern to them, they used to thow it back at you :-) and show you the door). How foundries that only cast Grey or SG survive in the UK is beyond me as the margins are every so small. Even the ones that diversified into Alloy Steels and Nimonics are struggling at the moment.

With the full team of three in Devon over the weekend, we took the opportunity of installing the Diff. A big chunk of metal to move in a restricted space but really no problems - especially as this was the first time that the Diff has been anywhere near the axle - having come from a different chassis.

DSCN1684.jpg

DSCN1685.jpg

DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1687.jpg

DSCN1688.jpg

DSCN1689.jpg

More photos to follow

It was a great pleasure to be able to put the diff in. A very large and important chunk of the lorry is now in the chassis and there is one thing less on the floor to fall over. Anyway, please excuse me if a lot of these photos are very similar, but i thought you would be interested and it is all part of the story.

One of the new oil seals that steve put in:

DSCN1690.jpg

It was a bit of fun and games getting the hoist in position, but it is the perfect tool for a job like this:

DSCN1691.jpg

The next fun bit is once we have got the diff off the ground is trying to get the hoist over the axle. The wheels on it just dont want to go the right way:

DSCN1693.jpg

DSCN1694.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

Edited by Great War truck
Spelling mistake

As with all these things, it was all great fun and games. The reach of the engine hoist was just not quite enough to get the diff directly over the axle so Tony and i had to leant on it as Steve lowered it down. The axle has five studs that have to line up exactly with the diff. As the diff came from a different Dennis chassis i admit that i never thought that it would fit without a lot of work. However, with just a few attempts and bit of careful crow bar use it dropped down on all the studs.

DSCN1697.jpg

DSCN1698.jpg

DSCN1699.jpg

DSCN1701.jpg

We did double check that it was facing the right way, then it was just a case of doing up all the bolts.

DSCN1702.jpg

DSCN1704.jpg

DSCN1705.jpg

"I think that we were just unlucky. I shall go to the Foundry on Monday with the final batch of three patterns for the Water Pump and will talk this failure through with them - I'll let you know what they have to say."

Just returned from the Foundry - have taken in the last three patterns and returned the faulty casting. They were concerned and embarrassed at this failure and immediately said that they will re-do it at no further charge - as I anticipated!

Tony

We opted to use a "liquid" gasket for this - Loctite Quick Gasket, an adhesive sealant. Quite expensive - £16 for a "tube". You can see it as a "black circle" on the lower face in one of the photographs above.

Tony

You are a funny bunch! So much time is spent making equisite parts, faithful replicas of the orignals and then you go and use black 'goo' to seal it altogether!

I must admit that I missed the tell tale black bead in one of the earlier photographs.

Barry.

Well, yes. I didn't like the idea much either. However the surface of the axle casing is so poor that a simple paper gasket wouldn't have done much although we might have used both together I guess. Alternatively, I could have filled the surface and rubbed it back. A bit late now! Will have to wait and see how it performs.

Steve

You can see from the first photo at the top of the previous page how rough the top of the axle casing was. Although the black goo is not faithful to the original it has certainly saved us a great deal of effort and most importantly time. We are not getting any younger and we still need to be young enough to be able to start the thing. Now if you were complaining about us having fitted an electric starter, well that would be a different matter and a whole new topic.

We did however put paper gaskets on the half shafts. Putting these in was not as straightforward as we had thought. Each bolt runs through a metal sleeve which connects the half shaft to the hub. These are press fittings. Tony and i thought the best way to fit these would be to put them loosely in place and then tighten up the bolts. As we were pushing in six simultaneously it required a great deal of effort. Steve pressed them in to the other half shaft one at a time in a vice which was much quicker. We then took the half shaft off again. Fitted the paper gasket and put them back in.

DSCN1716.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

even less bits on the garage floor to fall over now!

DSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg

A week or two ago, Gordon M asked to see some photos of the Lorry as it is now and Tony explained that it was difficult to get back far enough in our shed to see the whole of it in one go properly. We have taken a lot of our "junk" out of the shed to work on the "diff" and it was an opportunity to get some photos of the Dennis - but still not the whole truck in one go. That will have to wait until we can drag it outside.

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

Edited by Great War truck
Correction.

Nice to see it's not just me that has abused the powers of an engine hoist and blue rope! That stuff really is quite strong....

Have used a 1.5 ton crane to fit several bus engines over the years (its all the company had) and it always managed the job. I remember one time fitting a Leyland 680 we had 2 fairly hefty gents standing on the back of it to stop it tipping over as we towed it across the yard with a van!

The loctite gasket is good stuff. We used it on Mikes Ward LaFrance transfer case rebuild (to save time) and it has held up very well. They also make an instant gasket that dissolves in oil which is very good. I used it to seal a very complicated hydraulic labyrinth plate onto a CVRT gearbox and it never leaked. The idea is that any of the gasket that leaks into the oilway dissolves, while the stuff between the mating faces seals.

Just to prove that I am doing something too, here are a couple of oil cups to which I have given the treatment. Tim and Dad rescued them from part of the brake mechanism on one of the gearboxes. The box we have used does't seem to have a place for them but I spotted that they would be ideal for the pedals. They were both seized and thoroughly encrusted with what appeared to be limescale so I started off by pickling them in sulphuric acid overnight. They certainly fizzed and fumed quite well when I put them in! Unusually, I didn't take a 'before' picture but the first here shows them after removal from the acid. I then attacked them with a mini rotary wire brush mounted in a 'Dremel' which polished them up nicely. Finally, here they are in the pedals. The thread of one is pretty poor but it still has enough bite so I am pleased with the results. Two more parts on the road to completion!

Steve

DSCN1869c.JPG

DSCN1870c.JPG

DSCN1724c.JPG

Definitely looking more like a recognisable truck, thank you ...

What's the plan for the cargo body then? I'm assuming it will be a relatively straightforward, though not necessarily cheap, piece of carpentry to a known pattern?

Plain old wood, bolts, and angle iron?

Gordon