How do you keep your MVs in good order over winter?

LarryH57

I'd be interested to hear from owners of older military vehicles, how they look after their MVs over winter and what tips they have, such as whether they mothball them over winter and perhaps drain the rad and jack them up etc or whether they run them up every few months or drive them. Presumably those who keep their MV outside have more to do.

I use an Optimate charger on my battery, 50/50 antifreeze mix, and wedge the clutch peddle down on my jeep. I had the clutch stick on one winter which took some freeing off :D I do try to run it up to temperature as often as possible and if the roads are dry take it for a run. Inactivity does more harm than good to any vehicle.

Mine live in an unheated shed, under a couple of breathable caravan covers. 50/50 anitfreeze and battries kept at home. Does help to up the tyre pressures a bit when standing, but remember to set for road when taking out. Out of gear handbrake off. I do try to turn over and at least run around the yard every month six weeks.

After discarding the provision of a heated building the next option would be a rubber bag.

When we used to put plant in for long term storage.

Full service, Diesel filled up / Petrol drained and batteries removed.

The item was put on a prepared base covered with the bottom of a big rubber / plastic bag.

Then jacked up and put on wheelstands.

The bag top was fitted and all sharp corners padded.

Bag sealed up and a dehumidifier turned on.

The longest I know of for an item of plant to stay in the bag and then start first time on unpacking was 7 years.

2 shots of a Michigan 275 but equally I could have picked an Aveling Barford Dump Truck 6x4 with greedy boards or a D6 Dozer to name a few.

Bruggen Michigan 275 in a bag 1981.JPG

Bruggen Michigan being prepped 1981.JPG

After discarding the provision of a heated building the next option would be a rubber bag.

When we used to put plant in for long term storage.

Full service, Diesel filled up / Petrol drained and batteries removed.

The item was put on a prepared base covered with the bottom of a big rubber / plastic bag.

Then jacked up and put on wheelstands.

The bag top was fitted and all sharp corners padded.

Bag sealed up and a dehumidifier turned on.

The longest I know of for an item of plant to stay in the bag and then start first time on unpacking was 7 years.

2 shots of a Michigan 275 but equally I could have picked an Aveling Barford Dump Truck 6x4 with greedy boards or a D6 Dozer to name a few.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99140[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99141[/ATTACH]

Ahhh! The memories, enveloping at RAF Wild Parts or Bruggan. Is that the back end of a Barford I see behind the mich's bucket? If you've got more pics would love to see them

Or as one now departed but sorley missed MV enthusiat was heard to reply to the question 'Have you checked the oil?'

'Yep! It's in the can in the cab!' His other answer to all problems was 'Put the kettle on. We'll have a tea and think about it' Very sound advice.

I suppose how you look after a Jeep or Dodge in winter depends on the age of the owner or the owners 'er in doors, as you're not going to drive in one in the winter over a certain age.

Oy! ST**f you mate! Age is no bar to be an idiot! Bring on the Blzzards! :-D

Personally, I don't believe many owners drive their MVs in winter and must therefore lay them up till the daffodils are out. If WW2 vehicles are driven in winter why have I never ever seen one on the road before March in 40 years. The only MVs up to the job and out and about in winter are Land Rovers!

You're lucky living up north; you get real weather!

I've owned my Lwt for more than 10 years and living in NW London I've only had a couple of occasions when I could drive it in proper snow; one was to take the kids to school before I went to work and the other by some miracle was when it snowed at the weekend and remained as snow in South Bucks & Herts which allowed me to test it out, and see all the normal cars abandoned in drifts or in ditches.

Personally, I don't believe many owners drive their MVs in winter and must therefore lay them up till the daffodils are out. If WW2 vehicles are driven in winter why have I never ever seen one on the road before March in 40 years. The only MVs up to the job and out and about in winter are Land Rovers!

You must drive around with your eyes closed.......or dont live near us. Of course we are not out everyday or every week in the winter. But on a bright crisp day there is nothing better than a drive out. Plenty round here do it and we we dont have heater's like the softy LR's.......;)

Two options really depending on circumstance,

Option 1: make sure the anti freeze is the correct strength, jack all four wheels off the ground, disengage the clutch and block the pedal down remove all canvas items, take the battery off and trickle charge/discharge, cover it up, work the brake pedal 10 or twenty times each month and leave and go and sit by the fire until summer returns :(

Option 2: make sure the anti freeze is the correct strength, top up all lubricants and when you get a clear dry day preferably when the road salt has been washed off the roads start up and go for a drive :D 10 to 15 miles is best as this gets everything warm and gives the engine oil chance to burn off the inevitable crank case condensation. Starting up and static running is not really the best option here as it can increase sump condensation issues.

for the past 40 years I've taken option two every time, nothing better than getting the tank overalls on with hat of choice woolie/santa/deer stalker/USSR fury thing/tweed cap (delete as appropriate) and getting out on a clear frosty morning for a blast with the canvas down...... as my old dad was wont to say 'your a long time dead Boy'

Pete