Ml 1 Militant

ArtistsRifles

Sorry Neil, I used the term "modern" to indicate the fail safe air brake system that followed on after the likes of Mk1 Knockers. I spent a lot of time under and in these old trucks and the first one I drove was a Mk1 with Coles crane, about 25 tons all up. To update a Mk1 to spring brakes would entail a lot of work and expense as it is not just the fitting of spring brake chambers, it is all the extra plumbing and valves, etc. For the limited mileage likely to be undertaken, why try and up date it. If the original system is checked and made sure to be in first class working order there should be no doubts if driven accordingly.

Thanks again Richard :) It was just a brainstorming session with the guys in the workshop. Obviously the need is to be as safe as possible and the Mk1's braking system wasn't designed for modern traffic densities. As you say though - for the limited mileage one would do per year keeping on top of the servicing and maintenance would be the simplest and best solution.

They do mainly buses - modern and historic but they have had a Mk1 Militant and a Pig go through and have a Mk 1 Stalwart in there now with a Ferret in the museum next door. Come autumn they get to cut there teeth (hopefully not literally) on the OT-90 as I still have a problem with one of the rear doors.

Possibly know of one for sale

I had choice of two this week Chris - both around the £7K mark and in ready to go show condition with living areas in the load beds - had to pass on both as I now have to try and recover money owed to us after a cheque that was paid to us got bounced. :(:( Right now my upper limit is £3K to £3.5K.

Hahahahahahaha!

I like that - braking system not designed for modern traffic......

With all due respect to both Neil and the Mk 1 Militant other than the fact that it has wheels and an engine there is little about the knocker that suits modern traffic. Mind you I thought exactly the same back in the late 70s but somehow we managed, and that was on busy speed limitless roads in Germany!

Driven sensibly the Mk1 Militant is safe enough, especially if you are not carrying 10 tons of benz or 80 fully bombed up rounds of 175mm HE (or - and would you believe it - lance missiles and their nuclear warheads - I still have nightmares about inhibited foaming nitric acid or whatever one of the propellants was called)

So I say two fingers to the Audis in a hurry and the rest of the "modern" and impatient road users and let's hear more chuggachuggachugga on the road and the winding on of the handbrake at well earned stops. A well maintained knocker driven well is still a heck of a lot safer than even the most modern and safety feature ridden truck driven like a maniac with the driver on his mobile phone any day.

Been reading this thread with some interest, as it is showing the love/hate relationship people have with the Mk1 Militant. For myself I am firmly in love with my mine, and wouldn't swop it for any "modern" motor.

As for the bad brakes, I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that a well adjusted set of Militant brakes are quite respectable considering what you are trying to stop in the first place. I have had my old girl tested twice on modern brake rollers at the local VOSA test station, and both times she passed with ease, it is just a case of getting the rods set up right on each side of the brake chamber for the back brakes.

If you manage to get things sorted Neil, and you do get a Mk1, I am only across the water from you could always pop round if you need someone to help check out the brakes with you.

For the record I am a knocker fan too.

My references to brakes refer to the potential for the things to be brakeless if they loose their air, not the performance. In terms of the latter I would relish the opportunity of approaching an Audi waiting at a road junction at terminal velocity (30 mph or so or a tad more if it were a bridging) then braking hard and making that squealing noise. Sadly I would not be able to see the drivers reaction as his rear view mirror filled with AEC-ness...

One Tuesday morning, just before NAAFI break some of A tp were getting shuffled around. We parked the trucks in a sort of crescent facing the stores garages. Essentially a truck had stalled and, as was often the case (did I mention the dire battery set up? Oh how we would have liked to have fitted a pair of 6MTs) refused to self start. Things were a little fraught and time must have been of the essence and a second already-running tenny was waved out of the line, as it was not unusual for bump starts to be delivered by one truck shunting the other from behind. As the truck pulled out and swung towards the rear of the first Cpl Mick Wright was between the two.

Although the buzzer (such as it was) in the running tenny had stopped buzzing it in fact had no air - or at least not enough, and Mick died that morning as a result.

So you will excuse me if I get a little thoughtful once in a while........

A Matador with MK body and Militant cab, recollect seeing at a show at Bletchley Park years ago.

Certainly was

Used to see it regularly round the shows in Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire

Sometimes used to tow a 25pdr

I can remember visiting Vass' yard near Ampthill, when I was in college nearby about 1989. There was so many MK1 Militants quite good ones were stacked up in piles, the better were in rows front wheels on the back of the next. They were spilling out of the yard onto the roads on the industrial estate. There were a few like newly reworked with new canvas, tyres and paint. Did a lot of them get exported? I didn't even have a camera then now there is one on me phone in my pocket.

I can remember visiting Vass' yard near Ampthill, when I was in college nearby about 1989. There was so many MK1 Militants quite good ones were stacked up in piles, the better were in rows front wheels on the back of the next. They were spilling out of the yard onto the roads on the industrial estate. There were a few like newly reworked with new canvas, tyres and paint. Did a lot of them get exported? I didn't even have a camera then now there is one on me phone in my pocket.

Many were broken up for the engines which ended up powering junks in places like Singapore, the AEC engines were mainly cast iron and could be cooled by seawater without having to use a heat exchanger. Others were converted for use as fuel bowsers for construction projects such as the A14.