Seized Steel and Aluminium

andym

I'm sure that recently someone suggested ideas for unseizing aluminium and steel, such as steel studs in an aluminium block. Of course, now I'm looking for the thread I can't find it.

The latches on my Abbot's driver's hatches are seized and they're steel plugs in aluminium holes. Any ideas or patent mixes of chemicals welcome!

Andy

Gently warm the steel item and then push an ordinary white candle at it, keeping your head away as it may spontaneously combust.

Extinguish flame, warm steel item again, repeat candle application. As it cools give the steel item a sharp direct hit with a hammer.

Grip with a pair of mole / vice grips and tighten before loosening.

What happens is the wax gets drawn down the rust and crud between the two and then the blow disturbs it.

Had a lot of success with this method, especially useful after building up the stud by welding.

R

I've had some success with heat, and lots of it!

Aluminium oxide is very hard (used in abrasive paper/ sandblasting, etc) but it's also brittle. Breaking it's bond is the key.

For a steel bolt in aluminium, the bolt needs to be heated - ideally to red hot, then allowed to cool.

This expands the steel which crushes the crystalline aluminium oxide causing the bond to break.

Several repetitions of heat cycles may be required.

Oxy/Acetylene is the best thing to use as it's so intense, and the heat can be localised, but care should be taken not to melt the aluminium!

Obviously heat can't be used in all situations, like if the part is still fitted!

Spark erosion / Electrical Discharge Machining is the correct professional way to remove corroded bits from alloy, but it can be expensive, unless you can find a friendly engineer who will do small jobs for a couple of beers!