Rick W

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its been a while since we have made any progress on the truck itself due to lack of time but things are moving again. Many thanks to Jules for helping out with the fabrication of the engine cover. He very kindly took his engine cover off to be used as a pattern to a coachbuilder who I would highly recommend. I collected it today and I must say the craftmanship is superb, even better than original. Thank you. Much better than I imagined and probably better than the original! Will post pics tomorrow. Now we have the new cover we can begin lining up all the bodywork for the cab. Also got the bonnet number stencil to put on the bonnet today. Thanks to Dave at Axholme Signs.

Does anyone have a pattern for the doors which rik's coachworks people could use, assuming of course they are willing to do it and i can afford it :shake:

That job is top of my "most want to change to get closer to being original list" but I have nothing to go on and I doubt I can do that sort of metal work myself

Hello John

Yes, I do have a pair of Doors sat on my shelf awaiting fitting (which will be a while yet)

Quite happy to lend them to John Williams at Chesterton, for patterns.

and yes John turns out some fantastic work, I have slowly over the years fed him with bits of 'old army lorry' He is far more at home working on 1950's racing cars, D Type jags & old Italian jobs!

Give me a ring on 07713210960 during the daytime and have a chat.

Jules

• 1 month later...

just looked through all your postings, outstanding restoration :clap:

one of my favourite smaller brit vehicles, just pipped at the post by morris self propelled bofors which im drooling over on milweb

regards graham

just looked through all your postings, outstanding restoration :clap:

one of my favourite smaller brit vehicles, just pipped at the post by morris self propelled bofors which im drooling over on milweb

regards graham

:) you and me, both, Graham.......

• 4 months later...

As the last post on here was July, and as we are having a quiet afternoon at work, there has been some action on the C8. Lots of banging, bending and sparks to start assembling the passenger side of the cab.

Exterior

restoblog069.jpg

Interior

restoblog071.jpg

The back wall of the cab is already done, so hopefully another day or 2 and we can mount the cab ono the chassis to see how it does/doesnt fit!

I don't want to hijack this thread but just wanted to tell everyone how useful I've found it and to thank all the contributors. I'm the new custodian of the C9/B that was on Milweb, and which some of you have mentioned. It has been nicely restored and has almost all of its type-specific fittings but there's a few small things that need doing to improve its originality. The engine and box are post-war sky blue so they'll have to be repainted and, from the thread, I know what colour they should be now.

There's a water leak on the RHS of the engine from either the head gasket or the pressed steel water jacket cover. Can anybody suggest where this leak might be coming from? I haven't looked too closely yet. If it's the cover, is it an easy thing to repair or reproduce, or are NOS available?

The truck's chassis number shows that it's from the first production batch but I don't know its original Army number. Is there any way of finding out?

Hello Ivor

I had a simular weep on my C8, I had a new water cover made and it was perfect, I used gasket sealant when I installed it, however the bolts that bolt it on go right through into the waterway, so water can seep past them, If you are happy with the cover, look for tiny pin holes as they rust from the inside,check that the bolts are tight first, if they are, and it is still weeping, I would remove it, draining water first, refit it with sealant and most importantly dip each bolt thread in sealant as you screw it in. This I did and was fine.

I think you can write to the Army records at Deepcut, with the chassis number and they should be able to give you its wartime bonnet number and post war number.

Jules