Flooding again

Degsy

Warnings out again for gales and rain which is forecast to lead to more flooding in this area tonight. We have already had a couple of hours of torrential rain and gales and it is forecast to change to snow tomorrow. Just what we need.:mad:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck, lets hope it isn't as bad as predicted. :(

Thanks, I and my family shouldn't be affected directly but I feel for a lot of people in low lying areas who were flooded out less than two weeks ago and look likely to catch it again. I suspect the most dangerous time will occur a couple of hours either side of high water which will come around 11pm but at least we shouldn't get a storm surge this time as the wind will be in the South.

Edited by Degsy

Latest update from this area is that a number of roads are blocked by fallen trees and flooding but I haven't heard of any property damage as yet. The worst of the storm seems to have moved eastwards now so we have a lull before it is all forecast to start again tomorrow and carry on up to Christmas. Apart from on the mountains it doesn't look as if there is any chance of a white Christmas.

Good job you got the genny Clive, hope it won't be too long before you're reconnected.

All quiet this morning & electricity back on. After the last storm when the phones lines stayed down for nearly 3 weeks & people down the lane without electricity for 3 days triggered some emergency planning here. I have a professionally wired double isolator for our electricity circuits & have input connector for the generator. Full dress rehearsal two weeks ago & ran boiler, deep freeze, kettle & PC for 30 mins.

Cooking dinner last night with the rain & the wind outside said to wife I almost wish we had a power cut now that I'm ready, then the lights went out! But doing a trial run on a nice day in daylight is not the same as going out in the dark with a storm & getting soaked dragging the generator to its operating position. So it was an early night & power back this morning.:)

Degsy, you mujst be near lambing again. Pity nature didn't choose a better time of year.

Not us Tony, we don't usually start until March but some of our neighbour's will have lambs within the next 10 days. The last 2 or 3 years the early lambing flocks have had the better weather but as you will know you can't suddenly bring forward lambing dates by 2 or 3 month's, it can only be done gradually over several years.

Edited by Degsy

Flash flooding here. It's currently high tide so water should recede back soon. Wind is F11 which doesn't help of course. We've lost half a tree so far, as far as we can see anyway. Will get the full picture tomorrow. Stay safe everyone. At this rate Father Christmas and his sleigh will be blown off course :-0

Very bad here yet again, roads blocked with flooding and fallen trees. The farmland is totally saturated and the constant rain is just running off on to the roads, 1=one fatality this evening after a lady apparently fell into a flooded stream at the rear of her property, very sad. Forecast for the next 24 hrs is very bad so take care everybody and stay safe.

Absolute joy around here on Christmas Eve! What bus routes wern't on diversion for fallen trees were dodging water and obsticales. To cap it all about 14:30 all trains out of Victoria and Charing Cross were stopped at Orpington. Must have been 7 or 8 hundred people mulling about, having been helpfully told 'Buses are honuring your tickets'. So a number of very upset people demanding 'Take me to Brighton!'. >:(

• 2 weeks later...

We had the thunder storm of all thunder storms last night, in fact a local thinks that Thor actually knocked on our doors!!!! The beaches are wrecked, the promenade gone, a couple of seafront houses lost their roofs last night. We are on flood alerts till 4pm today. However the winds and rain seem to drop off next week.

We had the thunder storm of all thunder storms last night, in fact a local thinks that Thor actually knocked on our doors!!!! The beaches are wrecked, the promenade gone, a couple of seafront houses lost their roofs last night. We are on flood alerts till 4pm today. However the winds and rain seem to drop off next week.

We had a big thunderstorm in the early evening yesterday.

Lots of flashes and thunderclaps but AFAIK no real problems.

e8umatuv.jpg

The storm boards, behind them is the promenade, it's about 4 foot deep and as you can see it's full of water.

9a9ujyze.jpg

Just after high tide

6yve2use.jpg

This picture is of our eldest on the beach just after Christmas, today the waves were breaking where he was stood just days ago!!!!!!

We are fairly fortunate that as the tide goes out so do most of the flood water.

Well the sea came in and flooded a large corner of Hayling yesterday afternoon. I came home from work at 6.30 to find my road closed off due to flooding luckily our place is just before the flood so was able to get in ok. Local environment agency and council been working all night to clear sand and stones back into beach. Another high tide and strong winds over night has no doubt undone some of that work. I can hear the waves as I lie here in bed, normally it's a lovely sound but at the moment it all sounds far too close for comfort. I hope others affected by floods are getting the help they need. Roll on summer, we better not get a hosepipe ban now!!