Ferret Gearbox Removal on Ferret Mk2/3

Do you think it would be easier if I used my plasma cutter to cut a whopping big hole in the side of the ferret? then I could use an engine crane?

It would save a lot of work!!

Ah but would it be an original plasma cutter? After all you can't go faffing about with a repro one, just not the done thing old sport etc etc :)

I would suggest that if the lifting hook can't get close enough to the gearbox in order to gain the required clearance, then lift the box slightly, place suitable timber/suitable packing beneath, lower the crane and box and then shorten the lifting strap/strop/chain. Relift. This operation can be carried out as many times as required. Raising the crane up from floor level starts to introduce risk.

Vince

Then you would have to push the Ferret clear to lower the turret or gearbox

Not overly difficult. I had three men push start a Mark 2 for me in UNFICYP 76/77. Push the wheels, not the body: something about less resistance that someone who cares more will come along and explain in a minute.