FV 432 road use

simon in a 432

Hi sirhc,

I remember you posted the pic of Andy's saladin with the bevelbox leak at the time (Saracen build-up), you can't perhaps assist with the above request, please?

Monty,

See here:

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/dhmg/andjef.html

and here:

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/dhmg/andjef2.html

Registering 432s should not present a problem given that they road register things like this !

The steering/braking issue is a potential problem on the 432 . Visited 4th Battalion REME the other day and had a few words with the guys in the workshops and had a look at all the refurb work carried out on the 432s . Very nice engine/steering box refit giving independant steering, braking and seperate hand brake controls.

pencil.png

25082010529.jpg

25082010530.jpg

Hi Guys.... I registered my FV433 Abbot no problem, in Worcester, some time ago. Two months ago registered a CVRT Striker... with no problem at all.

you may find this entertaining....

Nice video :D

The DVLA entry for AAB 960A says 'NO BODY TYPE DEFINED' so it seems to me the overall theme is not to fill in all the bits of the form...?

Stone

As for construction and use regulations, of course there will be allowance for older vehicles, they're never going to meet modern regulations. The way I understand it is that they have to meet the regulations for the year of manufacture. The 432s were built in the 60's, used on the roads in the 60's and therefore must have been deemed safe at the time. Of course we all know now that the steering and braking system is not ideal, but would you refuse a 1930s car registration because the rod brakes aren't very good, the lights are poor and there are no turn signals?

I think we have to be very careful about saying things like this. You're absolutely right, older vehicles only have to compy with the construction and use regulations in force at the time they were built. However, it's a long stretch to say that because something was used at the time, it must be legal now. As legality depends on taxation class / vehicle type, it may be legal to use it for a particular purpose but not for another use; vehicles may have been on the road illegally in the first place, due to errors or non-declaration; finally, MoD vehicles are not necessarily required to comply with construction and use in the first place, so use by the MoD doesn't necessarily imply legal civilian use.

Nice video :D

The DVLA entry for AAB 960A says 'NO BODY TYPE DEFINED' so it seems to me the overall theme is not to fill in all the bits of the form...?

Stone

When I registered my CVRT Striker recently the Guy at the licencing office went through the form with me. He was unsure about what to put as body type... he showed me a list of options.. none of which really applied... the nearest one that seemed sort of logical was "special mobile unit" so this is what we went for !!!

As far as I'm aware CVRT vehicles don't present a problem as there is no over width issue. They are less than 2.55m wide. The fact they have tracks, armour, gun etc is not really an issue.

I think they also have seperate braking and steering mechanisms although that shouldn't concern the DVLA.

As legality depends on taxation class / vehicle type, it may be legal to use it for a particular purpose but not for another use; vehicles may have been on the road illegally in the first place, due to errors or non-declaration; finally, MoD vehicles are not necessarily required to comply with construction and use in the first place, so use by the MoD doesn't necessarily imply legal civilian use.

All true, but then again how do you decide what class it goes in? The rules are different for each class, different allowable widths etc - it seems that you can still register all this stuff fine provided the DVLA office put it in the right class, but if they say it's in a class that it can't meet the regs for then you're stuck.

Also it's an absolute nightmare working out what rules apply to what. I bought a printed copy of the C&U regs 1986 as they're not on the OPSI website (that starts at 1987) - not only is it a pretty intimidating document, but the Acts in force are all 'as amended'. Taking as a random example the "Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)(Amendment)(No. 4) Regulations 2005", how helpful is

Amendment of regulation 4 (application and exemptions)

4.—(1) Regulation 4 shall be amended as follows.

(2) In paragraph (4)—

(a) insert at the start of paragraph (4), the words “Subject to paragraph (7),”;

it's enough to drive you completely mad! :nut:

The sooner someone gives out some funding to produce a website giving the current, amended regulations for everything the better. Even a mechanism by which you could buy a printed copy of the amended regs would be a vast improvement on the current state of things. Frankly I'm amazed anyone actually buys any of these vehicles without being able to check up on this stuff in advance.

Stone

As far as I'm aware CVRT vehicles don't present a problem as there is no over width issue. They are less than 2.55m wide. The fact they have tracks, armour, gun etc is not really an issue.

I think they also have seperate braking and steering mechanisms although that shouldn't concern the DVLA.

They are also of course more fun to drive, better looking, faster, and easier to fix....!

They are also of course more fun to drive, better looking, faster, and easier to fix....!

And therefore at least two or three times the price! :-D

Not that "faster" is relevant for road use anyway, an FV432 will chug along at 20mph with no problem using free fuel to boot ...

Andy

And therefore at least two or three times the price! :-D

Not that "faster" is relevant for road use anyway, an FV432 will chug along at 20mph with no problem using free fuel to boot ...

Andy

Ok, it's a fair cop on both price and getting in and out.. Having spent weekend inserting and extracting myself from a Sabre, I now have aches and pains in places I didn't know existed (and I'm 5'7") !

I took my H test in a Scorpion earlier this year and although I had no problem getting in and out, I nearly dislocated my left shoulder with the bizarre handbrake arrangement. As it was I had a huge bruise that lasted for days afterwards! :nut:

Andy

Registering 432s should not present a problem given that they road register things like this !

The steering/braking issue is a potential problem on the 432 . Visited 4th Battalion REME the other day and had a few words with the guys in the workshops and had a look at all the refurb work carried out on the 432s . Very nice engine/steering box refit giving independant steering, braking and seperate hand brake controls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33337[/ATTACH]

pencil.png

Since when has Centurion been a make, Typical DVLA, totally flawed registration. Not a recognised manufacturer for the maker!!!!!