Ferret hydraulics

MiketheBike

Question

I have a leak in the rear offside brake, there is brake fluid flowing out of the brake drum.

From what I can make out, the expander unit is outside the drum? And there is a link to a tappet assembly on the inside of the drum?

Is it possible for the hydraulic fluid to leak from the expander into the drum, or am I going crazy?

Thanks,

Mick

24 answers to this question

Mick,

If you think you have brake fluid coming out of the drum you need to stop driving it, remove the wheel and the brake drum and see what's gone wrong. You'll probably need to thoroughly clean the inside of the drum and replace the shoes. The brake cylinder does fit outside the drum, on the rear of the backing plate. There are 3 fingers which operate the brake shoes, these are also connected to the handbrake cable.

Chris

Chris,

its OK..the more I look at it the more sense it makes. The tappet units (according the manual) are the bits inside the drum...although going by my bevel/transfer box shennanigans I could mean alomost anything :|

Seems like a pretty cool design for field repairs though...looks like you can replace all teh hydraulics without even taking the wheels off, although in my case that would only be a temporary repair as I guess the brake linings are stuffed in that wheel now.

width=300 height=238http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/00ec25/wheeldolly.gif[/img]

I bought mine from machine mart but I can't find it in their on line catalogue. this is a photo of a similar one taken from the first website i came to

wheel goes in the middle. wrap chain around it

pump jack to raise/lower

rotate wheel on the bottom rollers to align with wheel studs

hey presto

Not much use at the side of the road though!

Chris - Yes it is - You drive home on your Runflat ... Collect Lifting Apparatus... Return to original position.... Change Wheel or Wheels !! - Take Lifting gear home !!! - Simple ????? - I Think ?????.

Or - You could make a rack and carry it around with you - Even Simpler !!.

Bob.

Not much use at the side of the road though!

There is a tool used by British Army that is just as effective as a wheel jack, but a lot smaller, it is a U shaped bar, about one inch diameter, around three feet long with ends like a tyre lever. This is positioned under a jacked wheel, enabling it to be manouvered over a protruding hub, like a Ferret, Saracen, etc. OK you cannot turn the wheel, but it is easy to position the wheel first, to align with the studs.

I once picked one up at Beltring and the dealer had two, he swore blind they were tyre levers and only went as a pair.

If the tyre is not a runflat, ie. not so heavy, then the good old shovel works well.

Richard

Jack handles used to be in two parts and could be used to do the same thing as regards lifting he wheel up onto the studs.

Don't think the Ferret jack handle would be up to the job of lifting a runflat :|

flippin' heck!!

What is the trick to removing the handbrake cable from the right hand rear brake? The adjuster (which comes attached to the new unit) is hidden below the drive shaft and its impossoble to turn a spanner in that space.

I have lost some skin on my knuckles and spent an hour trying to remove it...I'm sweaty, stinking and need a beer!!

Mick

Mick,

I changed all the hand brake cables in mine. They weren't easy, and I had the entire interior stripped out. If the old cable works ok why not continue to use it and keep the new as a spare? It'll save messing about under the gearbox.

Chris

Actually..after thinking about it rather than engaging mouth first...I have taken the new unit apart by removing the body end cap and taking out the levers and handbrake piston.

I'm sure it will not be as easy refitting it on the vehicle though :|

Hi,

I managed to get the new cylinder installed, but had to disconnect the rod connected to the handbrake lever in order to get the levers into the tappet unit in the drum.

Then I could not get the rod back onto the handbrake lever without backing the adjustment right off.

Any tricks to getting the rod back to its original position?

Also, if the handbrake adjustment is too loose on one wheel, will that affect foot brake travel (I have bled the two rears, but not the fronts yet...just wonedring as I have to pump the brake to get them to work right now.

Thanks,

Mick