Auction disapointment and pleasure

Bob Grundy

I went to an auction at Castle Combe Race Circuit on Saturday 19th Oct to try and buy this 1939 CS8 that had been converted to a breakdown truck. However the bidding was against me and it went out of my reach. I was not aware, as I had no catalogue that another interesting wagon was in the sale, so I bid on that and it is in my yard now, photo to follow.

CS8 BMC.png

Here is the 1933 Leyland Retriever still on the Brimec so not had a chance to drive it yet. Seems OK and starts easy, I find out that it was advertised on Milweb a few months ago but ended up in the auction. I am in need of a Hand Book, a copy would do, its just the information on the vehicle that I need. Also there are seven new tyres but no actual wheel on the spare, so if any one can assist I would be grateful. More pics when I get in on the ground. They do look good don't they......

Retriever on Brimec.png

Hi John I believe it sold for £720 + 20% commission ? my max was £600 online bid.

Thanks Ian,

£950-1000 then, which seems a reasonable price given the £800 the rotten one recently made on Ebay.

I understood this one could be towed away, but don't know how much restoration was needed.

Hi Bob,

Nice buy, and it looks to have the original registration number issued to the military. Have seen this one before and something about the rear body shouts Commer Q4. However, it still looks the part. :thumbsup:

Would agree................definately post war body

Nice truck though!!!

We had a look in Bart Vanderveens book and it is there on page 190, a Commer Q4 with an 'Insulated house type body, equipped for radar equipment repair'. As Richard says in does not look the part, and I am pleased with it.

Hi Bob,

Hope I did not give the wrong impression, I intended my post to mean it does look the part, but that the body was unmistakably off a Q4. It is the lifting bars on the side that really give it away. I was looking at a Leyland Retriever Coles crane earlier in the year, in the Southern Hemisphere, not restored but in good condition for its age.

regards,

Richard