Piat Barn Find

Hi folks,

Yes I know it doesn't have wheels but I have recently got hold of a Piat and I thought you might be able to help. It has been sitting in a barn for years and I am trying to find an original canvas webbing grip and shoulder pad cover. Repros are available( at a cost!), but look a bit new, especially if I try to retain the patina whilst getting rid of the rust! An old repro might do the trick!

IMG_0625.jpg

I have the original ones from the weapon, but they are in a sad state as you can see, nibbled by mice etc.

IMG_0632.jpg

These are unusual bits which you might possibly have knocking about, I'm also after the projectile ammo box or any other bits of Piat interest.

Out of interest, how many of you would re-spray the weapon? It is heavily rusted but with some paint still visible..Hmmm..

Thanks,

Sean

IMG_0627.jpg

Thanks Graham,

I have to say I think this was my one big 'find', if you know what I mean.

As you say it is incredible these historic items are still out there.

I have to say I was virtually speechless when I saw it!

If it came to a REME Workshops. It would be stripped down, Sand & Water blasted. Phosphated & then paint sprayed & Baked for 30 mins to harden the finish. In it's present state, it will only deteriorate further! Whatever you do will improve it's present state to protect it! I have seen worse bought back from the dead!......It's worth doing!

if that metalwork is sound I'd think bead blasting would remove all the scale and give a coatable surface at minimal cost.

A PIAT is bound to be classed as a weapon. How do you de-mil it then? pull some vital part out, weld up the trigger ?

A PIAT is bound to be classed as a weapon. How do you de-mil it then? pull some vital part out, weld up the trigger ?

Correct,the PIAT needs deactivating, you need to contact your local Firearm Enquirey Officer & arrange to surrender it, they will hold it until you can arrange for the deactivation work to be carried out by a section 5 armourer & submitted for proofing. You can not carry out the deactivation work yourself.

In it's current state is a LIVE weapon & illegal to own without being registered on a section 5 FAC.

if that metalwork is sound I'd think bead blasting would remove all the scale and give a coatable surface at minimal cost.

Grind the spigot firing face away at 45 degrees. Weld firing face section to the spigot shaft. Cut a slot along the underside of the spigot. Weaken main body under the spring retaining end . By cutting a little through the main body tube. Weld a section of steel bar in the Bomb tray area to prevent a Bomb from being inserted. That should get it through the Proof house for certifying. Through a Section Five Dealer, of course! :cheesy:

I thought that a PIAT was a spigot morter. That is the bomb is projected by a spring, how is that classified as a fire arm ? Don't jump on me, I am only asking!

The info came from a Section5 Armourer Bob.. They do get deactivated there's one here http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Deactivated-Rocket-Launchers/British-made-PIAT-gun-for-sale-gs88118.aspx Don't fall over when you see the price :wow:

Certainly worth having it professionally restored if the that price is any indication what the can fetch..

Just found another with a Cert here http://www.warstuff.com/WW2-BRITISH-PIAT-DEACTIVATED-i1550122.htm

Edited by Marmite!!

I thought that a PIAT was a spigot morter. That is the bomb is projected by a spring, how is that classified as a fire arm ? Don't jump on me, I am only asking!

Bob, the spring does not project the bomb, it fires it. The bomb has a propelling cartridge in its base, like a mortar bomb.

In actuality, the spring is sufficiently powerful to throw the bomb a short distance, though I think the idea behind the spring being so strong is to absorb some of the recoil.

Bob, the spring does not project the bomb, it fires it. The bomb has a propelling cartridge in its base, like a mortar bomb.

In actuality, the spring is sufficiently powerful to throw the bomb a short distance, though I think the idea behind the spring being so strong is to absorb some of the recoil.

When you talk to the FAO. Ask about wheter you can claim Obsolete ammunition.

just a thought ....I wouldn't have thought it'd be that hard to build some very good looking replicas in the average

'MV enthusiasts' workshop??? ...if £4500 is the price of a real one?...

and lets face it ..hardly anyone that wanders past your display at a show is going to know ???.

£450 would be a fair price ? :)

just a thought ....I wouldn't have thought it'd be that hard to build some very good looking replicas in the average

'MV enthusiasts' workshop??? ...if £4500 is the price of a real one?...

and lets face it ..hardly anyone that wanders past your display at a show is going to know ???.

£450 would be a fair price ? :)

already exists and your pretty much bang on the money, its £485

http://www.battledressandbayonet.com/19.html