Castlemartin

agripper

Was down at Castlemartin in January and tool a few photos durring my time there. Thought some might be of interest. Just to check does anyone know what the CVRT's are? 8723143590_69df508040_z.jpg

8723148950_2464a47fdb_z.jpg

20130130_113337.jpg

20130130_113533.jpg

20130129_101949.jpg

8723132030_2181aeb990_z.jpg

8722010987_f610172266_z.jpg

8723137792_38cb307b0d_z.jpg

8722021491_c4bb5bf7e6_z.jpg

Edited by agripper

I've done a couple of camps there. Nice to see they have updated the gate guardians. I remember a Churchill there, the last time I stayed for a battle camp. Lovely pictures ;)

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Found the plinth it was on but cound not find any other tanks on the camp. Did find a couple of samaritans round the back waiting to go out on the range but thats was all I had time to photograph. too busy working.

The CVRTs are Spartans fitted with Milan Compact Turret (MCT) - they will have been used out at BATUS as OPFOR vehicles. Looks like they have been dieselised too. What is the plan for them, hard targets?

Chris

I've done a couple of camps there. Nice to see they have updated the gate guardians. I remember a Churchill there, the last time I stayed for a battle camp. Lovely pictures ;)

The Churchill has been saved and is currently being restored.

Al

The CVRTs are Spartans fitted with Milan Compact Turret (MCT) - they will have been used out at BATUS as OPFOR vehicles. Looks like they have been dieselised too. What is the plan for them, hard targets?

Chris

No not the name on the instruction manual.

No. But it does begine with a "S". They are all running and apart from 1 where drivable. they all have the cummins powerpacks in. I managed to get some spares for mine but could not get the powerpacks out.

Nice pics Phil thanks for posting..

Have to confess I thought the Salamander was the Scorpions with the drainpipe on, but at my age I am easily confused!

Are these definitely going on the range? Seems a bit of a shame esp if they are dieselised. Surely they will be taking the packs out first? I wonder if they would notice if one was swapped 'late at night' with an empty Sultan!? :D

Not that I dont have enough on at the moment you understand!

Cheers

Tim

• 2 months later...

Just seen this thread and would dearly love to get our hands on the turret from one of the (former) Spartan MCTs or any interior fittings if anyone has a contact? Our one is ex BATUS and has the roof extension but the turret was missing and the hole blanked off (I assume as an OPFOR vehicle).

Does anybody have any contacts at Castlemartin, need some bits and pieces for The Yeomanry Volunteers.

http://www.theyeomanryvolunteers.org/about

Just seen this thread and would dearly love to get our hands on the turret from one of the (former) Spartan MCTs or any interior fittings if anyone has a contact? Our one is ex BATUS and has the roof extension but the turret was missing and the hole blanked off (I assume as an OPFOR vehicle).

Have a wander over to the website above or join it on facebook I'm not going to say they can help but worth a try

https://www.facebook.com/groups/theyeomanryvolunteers/