Bedford MWD restoration

Happy xmas everybody :-D

Made it but only just ! the fingers are on the mend which is good :-D but the oven gave up the ghost a couple of days ago which was bad :( luckily we managed to sort a new one yesterday morning so we will have our xmas lunch which is good :-D on the same day as the oven the chimney sweep cancelled due to the bad weather which was bad :( but we managed to get another which was good :-D but unfortunately he failed to secure the flue access panel to the outside of the chimney and nearly smoked us out of the house which was bad :-( and then to top it all off I've come down with a dose of man flu and spent most of xmas eve laid up which was really bad :( but am feeling a whole lot better this morn and am looking forward to din dins and getting some more work done on't truck in the coming days.

Happy xmas all.

100_5787.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

Spent yesterday fettling the brackets for the canvas doors but forgot to take camera doh ! had a day in Hay on Wye and won the biggest pile of books completion with the wife :shocked:

100_5791.jpg

We now have a 1st world problem in that we have run out of bookshelf space, I can feel a project coming on in the new year.

Nuther fun packed day on't truck, managed to fix the cover strip that runs around the cab rear panel and cut bonnet side timbers to length plus attached the new bonnet springs.

100_5796.jpg

Plus test fitted my shovel in its correct pos and cut the strips that hold the canvas doors to length.

100_5794.jpg

Had this old wartime shovel knocking around since my teens it seems appropriate that it now has a good home.

Only managed a couple of hours this avo and sorted the pick / handle clamp noticed that handle is dated 1933 and head 1939 :D

100_5801.jpg

Need to cut hole for handle in bottom plate then fit the stowage box properly next job is fettling of battery box and front wings. Off to the Dallas digout tomo for more goodies hopefully :wow:

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been awhile coz its been bleedin COLD of late but have managed to get a few more bits sorted on't truck

100_5805.jpg

100_5807.jpg

Test fitted the canvas doors they need some adjustment but will be fine I must say that the quality of workmanship by Frank Brown is spot on :D

100_5820.jpg

After painting have re-fitted the cab fittings for shovel, pic etc. etc.

100_5828.jpg

And again after painting the planking have rebuilt the rear wheel box's ready to make the steel inners.

100_4587.jpg

Now its beg a favour time, I really need a late pattern drivers side engine panel or a pair of the same, maybe you might know someone who has a pair lurking in their shed its rather critical to the restoration and I need your help please.

I can be contacted on 07899 704561 any time and will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday.

Edited by rampant rivet

NUTS ! yes I've finally gone nuts its official :nut:

100_5833.jpg

Just had a hundred of these bad boys made for the truck I can now get things bolted up tight ready for paint I know its a bit OCD but the nuts on the Bedfords body had a certain shape to them that I could not find and which give it a certain look so needs must .

Edited by rampant rivet

NUTS ! yes I've finally gone nuts its official :nut:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112456[/ATTACH]

Just had a hundred of these bad boys made for the truck I can now get things bolted up tight ready for paint I know its a bit OCD but the nuts on the Bedfords body had a certain shape to them that I could not find and which give it a certain look so needs must .

Hi Jez If you go on Sunday keep an eye out for a Normandy MC hat , I should be there. Regards Andy B

Had a great day out at Stoneleigh today :D met up with the unofficial military Bedford owners club, you know who you all are :wow: and picked up some nice bits n bobs inc the front canvas bow hoops for the cab :clap: a big thanks to Tim :clap:No sign of any engine panels so far but you never know.

Here you are Danny

100_5835.jpg

100_5836.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

What a day I'nt shed !!! blowing a gale tin rattling and hissing down, so spent most of my time fettling the front wings.

100_5852.jpg

Then started on making the wooden steps.

100_5851.jpg

Need to round the top edge on three sides what do you think Maurice ? much better than those post war add on chequer plate things ;).

Had a great day out at Stoneleigh today :D met up with the unofficial military Bedford owners club, you know who you all are :wow: and picked up some nice bits n bobs inc the front canvas bow hoops for the cab :clap: a big thanks to Tim :clap:No sign of any engine panels so far but you never know.

Here you are Danny

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112594[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112595[/ATTACH]

I hope you are aware that this tyre pump is not for a Bedford. It is a right hand mounting, could be for an Austin or other vehicles with a right hand PTO.

thank you for the pics, do's please have a spare instrument light fitting for bedford 1940 mwd thank you again for your help.

OTE=rampant rivet;456628]Hi Mick here are some pics of the inst light fitting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110492[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110493[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110495[/ATTACH]

Fitting measures 2 3/4" in height and approx. 5/8" dia.

Jacks are funny things you wait for ages and then three come along at once :D

P1140435.jpg

P1140439.jpg

Two nice 1940 dated ones and a good 1945 example I'll probably let the 45 and one of the 1940 dated ones go along with a 1941 dated jack I already have as I'll only need one for myself.

Other than the trip to Bovy on Friday which was very interesting as there were a lot of early Bedford contract cards to look through all of the MW cards were copied for further research by the way :D.

Work is still in progress on the front wings and Aeroscreens thanks to bob the builder for those :D just these elusive engine panels to sort now :nut:

PM'd :D

Jacks are funny things you wait for ages and then three come along at once :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112933[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112934[/ATTACH]

Two nice 1940 dated ones and a good 1945 example I'll probably let the 45 and one of the 1940 dated ones go along with a 1941 dated jack I already have as I'll only need one for myself.

Other than the trip to Bovy on Friday which was very interesting as there were a lot of early Bedford contract cards to look through all of the MW cards were copied for further research by the way :D.

Work is still in progress on the front wings and Aeroscreens thanks to bob the builder for those :D just these elusive engine panels to sort now :nut:

• 1 month later...

Things have been a tad quiet lately due to another railway contract taking up all my evenings and weekends but as today was glorious I needed some R&R playing with the MW as the withdrawal symptoms were getting bad :D

100_5860.jpg

Distraction !! part of the contract for six carriages going out to Denmark

100_5864.jpg

Wings etc. getting their final undercoat

100_5867.jpg

Nice coat of greeny / brown stuff.

100_5869.jpg

Nice wooden steps as per original Maurice.

100_5870.jpg

Finally the bonnet support is finished , painted and fitted :D

100_5871.jpg

New radiator cover fits a treat :D

• 2 weeks later...
just managed a few hrs this avo playing with t'mw, managed to fit the windscreen glass and front bumper/brush bar

[attach=config]114096[/attach]

time seemed to slip by and its soon time to pack up.

looking good ;)