Bedford MWD restoration

Hi Wayne having worked as a carpenter for over 30 years I hope I can make a decent job of the woodwork although its not my favourite part of restoration because its too close to my day job :cool2:

100_4397.jpg

Undercoat on cab floor frame almost ready for top coat and final fitting.

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

After a day of rain and work on the house on Sat I managed a good session today on the MW, first job was to fit some old tyres to help get the old girl mobile again.

100_4425.jpg

I know these are not the correct pattern tread but they'll do for now, I hope to pick up another pair for the front on Tues.

100_4427.jpg

Truck sits more on the level now.

100_4431.jpg

Then it was a day of doing all those small jobs that need to be done as in fitting the rear exhaust pipe properly, adjusting brake and clutch pedals, reattaching handbrake cable, fixing cab floor frame, fitting grab rail to bulkhead, sorting the choke cable, fitting bulkhead heat shield and thinking about what's next on the to do list :nut:.

Think the next big push will be fuel system and first engine start :drive:must get on and sort fuel tanks and lines etc. etc.

Does anyone have a pair of tank straps spare or even just the ends ?

Ps. Just ordered the POR 15 from Frost to seal the tanks :-D

Edited by rampant rivet

Hi Pete I found some old thick grey undercoat primer on a shelf in the garage at home and used that to start with, as Red grandis has no knots to speak of there was no need to use any knotting goo, then I sprayed the frame and boards with the same undercoat I am using on the rest of the truck. Rubbed it all down with some fine sandpaper between coats.

I used Firwood cellulose anti corrosion chassis undercoat from jeeeeparts and the top coat I am having mixed by Middleton paints based in Gloucester.

Did you spot I have the steering wheel bckt round the wrong way ? I'll sort that the next visit :-D

Cheers RR.

Another incredibly good job going on there Jerry, she'll make an beautiful addition to your rapidly growing fleet ! :) I have every suspicion that soomer or later a tank of some description is going to appear in your workshop ! :):):) ...

seriously though !.....I don't know how you find the time to work like you do on your vehicles alongside of managing to earn a living AND keep a wife happy ! hahahah!! ..tell me yer secret please ! :):)

PS: Whilst generally mooching the web I came across this forum /web site and see they have a few bits and pieces for sale on there for the MWs ......I didn't notice any posting dates so don't know if any of it is left now but....worth a glance maybe ?...you never know ....

http://www.bedfordenthusiastsclub.com/For%20sale%20and%20Wanted.html

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Another incredibly good job going on there Jerry, she'll make an beautiful addition to your rapidly growing fleet ! :) I have every suspicion that soomer or later a tank of some description is going to appear in your workshop ! :):):) ...

seriously though !.....I don't know how you find the time to work like you do on your vehicles alongside of managing to earn a living AND keep a wife happy ! hahahah!! ..tell me yer secret please ! :):)

PS: Whilst generally mooching the web I came across this forum /web site and see they have a few bits and pieces for sale on there for the MWs ......I didn't notice any posting dates so don't know if any of it is left now but....worth a glance maybe ?...you never know ....

http://www.bedfordenthusiastsclub.com/For%20sale%20and%20Wanted.html

Thanks Miff

The trick is to spread the vehicles and projects about a bit and that way it doesn't look like too much of a collection mind you it did help a bit "giving" the champ thing to the boss, though I still get to look after it :shocked: no chance of anything armoured I'm afraid as its not what I'm into really.

Time management is the thing I did the Chepstow show today on the race course with Champy and Met the boss there after she had been to Cwmbran doing a bit of a shop, tonight I'm treating her to a meal out for extra brownie points and then I'm off to the MW to put the front wheels on tomo and hopefully will get home in time to ease some doors over the new carpets.

Never a dull moment !!!

Just another day of odd jobs on the truck, have fitted the steering wheel bckt the correct way and the first pairs of Aero screen bckts are on which helps hold the inst panel in place plus she now has four feet on the ground for the first time in over 12 months :banana:.

100_4459.jpg

Then started to repair the passenger side fuel tank which on close inspection needs a lot of work.

100_4461.jpg

Don't panic !!! tank is completely empty of fuel or vapours :wow:

100_4462.jpg

Cutting out the rot has allowed me to remove a lot of the dents at the same time :-D

Thanks Miff

The trick is to spread the vehicles and projects about a bit and that way it doesn't look like too much of a collection mind you it did help a bit "giving" the champ thing to the boss, though I still get to look after it :shocked: no chance of anything armoured I'm afraid as its not what I'm into really.

Time management is the thing I did the Chepstow show today on the race course with Champy and Met the boss there after she had been to Cwmbran doing a bit of a shop, tonight I'm treating her to a meal out for extra brownie points and then I'm off to the MW to put the front wheels on tomo and hopefully will get home in time to ease some doors over the new carpets.

Never a dull moment !!!

Well all I hope Jer is you put as much effort and detail and care into finishing the extension you are building for me on my house:-D:-D:-D

Pete

Well all I hope Jer is you put as much effort and detail and care into finishing the extension you are building for me on my house:-D:-D:-D

Pete

I hope that that the required standard has already been reached so far in your build ? ;)

Edited by rampant rivet

Another day of playing with the MW have begun to sort fuel lines and have fitted the voltage regulator and fuse box to the front of the bulkhead.

100_4472.jpg

Then had a go at making the remaining cab floor panels.

100_4469.jpg

Have still to form the access holes to the master cylinder and air compressor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95654[/ATTACH]

Started to make the new petrol tank strap and battery box ends this avo :-D

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

After taking last wkend off to visit the Dunsfold wings and wheels event which was bloody marvellous, Lancasters, Vulcan, Mitchell etc etc :D thought I'd better start on the cover strips for the egde of the cab floor.

100_4534.jpg

Cutting a piece of 50mm x 50mm down its length gives the correct edge radius that's needed thanks for the tip . :D

100_4535.jpg

Slotting the edge at 1/2" centres allows the curve to be formed.

100_4538.jpg

There is also an angle to form on the top face of the trim, just need to weld it all up now :nut:.

Other jobs have included making a new oil line for the gauge and more repairs to the nearside fuel tank and finishing the cab floor access panels.

Edited by rampant rivet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At last its ALIVE !!!! :-D yes folks after sorting a complete lack of spark on the dizzy I managed to run the engine or the first time, it needs a bit of fettling but at least it runs :drive: :dancinggirls::clap:

Here's a youtube clip

hopefully :cool2: yes just checked and the link works :nut: Edited by rampant rivet

Now the engine is on the way to be sorted I have been looking at making the timber support fixed to the bulkhead that the bonnet rests on I have made a pattern today before going on to make the real thing, I really need more pictures / info on this to make sure I get it correct, forgot to take my camera today , DOH !! :nut: the rest of the day being spent repairing the front panel and bonnet which needed quite a bit of sorting, plus the prop shaft is ready for paint before refitting.

Note to self " take pics next session"

If anyone can provide me with measurements and detailed pics of the early bulkhead timber it would be much appreciated :D

Nuther busy day sorting the bonnet, lots of fiddly work sorting centre hinge for bonnet as sections of hinge were missing and need to be fabricated.

100_4556.jpg

100_4559.jpg

100_4558.jpg

Took most of the day to get the panels ready for undercoat :D

100_4562.jpg

Front panel and prop shaft ready to have some green stuff added next session.

Managed to get another clip of the engine running today though it was getting rather dark by the time I got round to it.

hope fully it sounds a tad better :D though it developed a flat spot on acceleration so will have a look at the carb :nut:

Edited by rampant rivet

Well its been a short afternoon down t'shed this avo but managed to make the timber bulkhead member that carries the rear edge of the bonnet, most of the work had already been put into making the pattern so it went quite easily today though will still need some fettling.

100_4566.jpg

100_4568.jpg

Starting to look a bit better now :D

100_4569.jpg

• 2 weeks later...