Bedford MWD restoration

Nice trays.. could you please advise contact details for the makers and do you have any drawings for these please. Regards Andy

New tank trays getting a coat of etch primer M Tech made a great job of them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101829[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101830[/ATTACH]

Coming soon Nipples yes Nipples ! those funny things that help hold the canvas cover to the rear body.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101831[/ATTACH]

The profile needs tweaking a bit ( don't they all ) and then they'll be good to go.

This question has probably been addressed on other posts but here goes - can anyone tell me the size in height, style and thickness of the lettering of the Z number on the bonnet for MW please as I will need to get my bonnet marked up soon, also any details of the 30 mph sign on the rear tailgate. any info much appreciated as I would like it to be as accurate as possible.

Cheers RR.

Have managed to get some time on the Bedford at last, things have been busy with getting four carriages ready to go out to Belgium its meant some late evenings but can't complain, its nice to have lots of work on.

100_4862.jpg

Something different to look at apart from the MW :D

100_4978.jpg

The packers are fitted to the underside of the floor frame and all the holes are drilled for the rear cross member brckts.

100_4984.jpg

New petrol tank straps made.

100_4985.jpg

Used rotten old tail gate step as pattern for new ones.

100_4986.jpg

Just needs folding now, have also had the ends for the box in the cab folded and am in the process of making new tops for the battery box.

100_4976.jpg

Jig for tops I hope to get them all finished for Malvern.

100_4987.jpg

100_4988.jpg

Still need a bit of fettling but nearly there.

The timber I used is called Red Grandis its a hardwood that is rot resistant but not too corrosive to fixings, its a tad on the expensive side but has a nice finish with no knots and is light in weght compared to a lot of hardwoods.

Cheers. Will see what my chippy mate can rustle up from his suppliers

Bat box tops ready to roll

100_4993.jpg

Thought it was time to look at the tailboard I was hoping to salvage the timber but it was too far gone, some planks had been replaced, others badly repaired and most of the coach bolts nearly rusted through.

100_5007.jpg

100_5013.jpg

100_5001.jpg

100_5008.jpg

Just had time to start sorting the new planking before taking all the brackets and bits n bobs to the shot blasters.

100_5020.jpg

Nice job , you make it look so easy :D, that's what I'm on with now ...the woodwork . What looked to be a "few" bits of wood to replace have turned out to be a nearly a full floor plus a few on the sides :nut: , I found most of the coach bolts were rotten through aswell ..............

I'm going to replace most of the metalwork too as most of it is deeply pitted

Dave

Its surprising how much wood is involved in an MW You are lucky in that you have a complete rear body where I have had to manufacture a lot from scratch apart from the sides. Its a lot of work and like you I am having to replace some of the steelwork due to rust.

Have you found a source for the coachbolts yet ? if you can save all the nuts as these are now very hard to find I cut the heads off the bolts to preserve the nuts when dismantling it all but will still need quite a few new ones for the rebuild.

The planks were easy to source as they are European redwood @ 95mm X 22mm which my timber supplier had in stock and needed no machining all I had to do was run a slight chamfer on them, job done :nut:

I thought it was just the 4 floor boards and 5 on the sides , but taking it apart found most of the ends of the floor boards were rotten plus the frame cross member:banghead: . The thing that I'm concerned about is the new boards will look odd against the old as they are well weathered .I'm going to call at out local engineering supplies to see if they can source the coach bolts . What woodscrews do you recommend to use steel or brass ?

Luckily I managed to salvage most of the nuts , I sat with blow lamp ,plus gas and plenty of coffee and got most of them off :cool2: .

Dave

Edited by Davey089

• 2 weeks later...

Now after the four carriages are off to sunny Belgium its time to get back to more important things,

A good friend of mine found a very nice early MW dipstick note the original thick felt washer if this is missing off yours it will give a false reading. Also note the nice blingy brass turned bit on the end to cheer Maurice up :cool2: I know he likes the brass bezzles on my dash so this should match nicely :cool2:

100_5067.jpg

Have now started fabricating the stowage box for the cab.

100_5068.jpg

100_5069.jpg

100_5070.jpg

Yet another session this time on the rear tail gate quite a time consuming but satisfying job.

100_5083.jpg

sorting out where it all goes

100_5085.jpg

getting there

100_5086.jpg

Inside face need to fit foot plates next and large washers under coach bolt heads.

100_5087.jpg

before and after doesn't look like much but that was a good days work :shocked: will need to take it all apart for another couple of coats of paint before final top coat.