Bedford MWD restoration

Hi Dave I just use Cuprinol clear treatment seems ok. so far ..............:shocked:

Thanks Julian

Hopefully I'll get the floor completed Monday , I wanted to give it a good lashing with preservative before I start replacing some of the panels on the sides

Thanks

Dave

Cab headboard ready for paint

100_5098.jpg

Will have to slow down on the bodywork for a while as the priority now is to sort the fuel tanks and trays and get them fitted plus there is still work to do on the timber frame fitted to the bulkhead that carries the rear edge of the bonnet.

Hope to get a rolling / moving chassis to make it easier to do the bodywork by allowing the truck to be moved out of its shed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Mat, Sorry for lack of updates what with work and having had a very interesting week touring the Flanders Battlefields inc some more off the beaten path BEF May 1940 sites there has not been a lot of progress lately.

100_5242.jpg

Have had the floor planking milled out of Sapele and utilised the Railway workshop to give them an undercoat.

100_5247.jpg

And am now fitting them to the rear frame.

Thought I heard something and ............... ran outside :D

100_5248.jpg

Here she comes at almost eye level :D

100_5249.jpg

Had a fly past by the BBMF Dakota bloody brilliant piece of flying at low level up the wye valley :D:D:D

100_5255.jpg

Forgot that I have fitted the correct opaque lens to the front side lights inc WWII dated bulbs found in a barn just outside Dunkirk while on my hols I kid you not !! :D

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Mat, Sorry for lack of updates what with work and having had a very interesting week touring the Flanders Battlefields inc some more off the beaten path BEF May 1940 sites there has not been a lot of progress lately.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105133[/ATTACH]

Have had the floor planking milled out of Sapele and utilised the Railway workshop to give them an undercoat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105134[/ATTACH]

And am now fitting them to the rear frame.

Thought I heard something and ............... ran outside :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105136[/ATTACH]

Here she comes at almost eye level :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105135[/ATTACH]

Had a fly past by the BBMF Dakota bloody brilliant piece of flying at low level up the wye valley :D:D:D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105140[/ATTACH]

Forgot that I have fitted the correct opaque lens to the front side lights inc WWII dated bulbs found in a barn just outside Dunkirk while on my hols I kid you not !! :D

What a find, those bulbs.... :D

• 1 month later...

Not much happening lately on't truck due to lots of local steam rallies Bromyard, Marcle and Welland taking up the wkends had a great time in the Champ thing :D though the jeep thing failed to proceed prior to the Marcle show but is now fixed after a cleaned carb and new set of plugs :red:

Took delivery of the steel tubing today ready to make my own canvas hoops plus some half round bar ready to make the rubbing strips.

100_5376.jpg

Have also started stripping the fittings from the rear body side panels prior to shot blasting.

100_5343.jpg

It was a difficult decision to replace the side planking but on close inspection most planks were either damaged or rotten with wasted coachbolts that were weakened due to corrosion.

Am also looking into having the correct style nuts being made ouch !!

Looking Good Jer

Will have a closer look at it thurs/fri/or sat when I pick the new toy up :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Boooooom boooom

Who's a happy boy then ? will miss the old dodge but am glad its gone to a good home and its staying local, I look forward to seeing it out and about at the shows being used and the kids will love it well done :D Ps don't forget the shot blasting cabinet matey, that will come in real useful for sorting all those body fittings :cool2:

Who's a happy boy then ? will miss the old dodge but am glad its gone to a good home and its staying local, I look forward to seeing it out and about at the shows being used and the kids will love it well done :D Ps don't forget the shot blasting cabinet matey, that will come in real useful for sorting all those body fittings :cool2:

Well bud she has had a bit of a wipe over just as I started to dribble role on a show :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PS am on the case of the sandblaster bud

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Made myself a blasting cabinet today to make blasting more efficient bit of a lash up but It'll do for now.

100_5407.jpg

Has speeded up the process some :D should have done this years ago would have saved a fortune :laugh:

100_5409.jpg

Managed to clean some more hinges and fittings, most satisfying though I didn't get time to paint rear floorboards.

Thanks Richard I bought a cheap 10gal pot off Epay and connected it up to my compressor it seems to do the job ok though I think I could do with a larger output on the compressor but for the bits n bobs I need to clean it seems to cope, will post a pic when I use it again. At the mo I only using some kiln dried sand from my local builders merchants which again is ok but now I know the kit works I'll probably buy some proper medium .

Edited by rampant rivet

Hi rivet, Sir

I am a modeller, currently making a small model of an MWD and have been lurking all the way through your blog. Much useful stuff for me there. But what I would really like is an idea of what the exhaust system looks like. It would appear that the manifold is on the left of the truck, and as far as I can see (not far!) the whole system runs down the left side. OK, it is hard to see the exhaust system in pictures of a real truck - and harder still on a model about three inches long - but I would be very grateful if you could let me know roughly how long the silencer box is (boxes??) and where the end of the exhaust pipe sits.

TIA

Chris

Thanks Richard I bought a cheap 10gal pot off Epay and connected it up to my compressor it seems to do the job ok though I think I could do with a larger output on the compressor but for the bits n bobs I need to clean it seems to cope, will post a pic when I use it again. At the mo I only using some kiln dried sand from my local builders merchants which again is ok but now I know the kit works I'll probably buy some proper medium .

Hi Jez ..just wondered what size output your compressor was and is it elec or engine driven.

Regards Andy B

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good wkend ratting around the Beaulieu auto jumble and found a few bits n bobs :D nice lot of 12 V WD 1944 dated sidelight bulbs.

100_5418.jpg

If any one wants some I have a few spares :D picked up a spare CAV. generator along with other odds and ends.

But better still today I popped down the road to pick up some coach bolts and look what I found in a box on the bottom shelf !!! the holy grail I have been after some of these for years and searched over 2000 stalls on the wkend with no luck only to find these little beauties not 3 miles from where I live :banghead:

100_5424.jpg

I know they are cast and not brass but once painted will look identical.

Just need a pair of early engine side panels now :wow: