Bedford MWD restoration

Today I have been mainly bashing tin !

100_6374.jpg

New 1.2mm sheet cut + 10mm allowed for the rolled edge.

100_6376.jpg

10 mm removed from 18mm ply former .

100_6377.jpg

Scrap piece of 18mm mdf cut to same radius laid on top again allowing 10 mm for the roled edge.

100_6378.jpg

Edge dressed down.

100_6379.jpg

Piece flipped over and screwed to ply to secure, 4mm rod bent to radius and laid up against upstand.

100_6380.jpg

Now the tricky time consuming bit of dressing the upstand over the rod, used pincers to hold rod tight.

100_6381.jpg

Finished edge.

100_6382.jpg

Pair of panels ready to be adjusted to fit the MW then hopefully cut the apertures and get the mesh laser cut, but that's part 3.

Edited by rampant rivet

Another fun day in't shed got some more wheel rims back from the blasters and got them in primer then made a couple of sets of wooden blocks for the cab fittings and then cut the engine panels to size though some more work needed before I am 100 % happy with their fit.

100_6383.jpg

In making the panels I have a chance to make them somewhere near fitting unlike the original later pair I have that only fit where they touch, but I guess that's how they are.

Didn't get chance to look at the mudguards ran out of time again maybe next weekend.

Yes you right there John it was a hell of a job :cool2: just waiting for the patterns for the mesh now as it'll take some time to get them cut will probably get half a dozen pairs made if anyone else needs some early panels or mudguards :-D I have the technology so they say.

Like button ;) :-D

Bit of a bitsa day down't shed today started with a repair Andy's tool box leant to me as a pattern, thanks Andy.

Then fettled the engine panels a bit more, they are now ready to have the top edge folded over 1/2 " and then joggled as per the originals, also thanks to Kevin I have been able to have a CAD drawing made for the mesh and this has now been sent out to tender, depending on cost does anyone else want a set of early engine panels ? I can either make complete items or supply the mesh . I have a later set of panels that I can use to make reproductions of as these seem to be hard to find too.

100_6384.jpg

100_6386.jpg

Thanks Andy

Having your bckts etc as a pattern really helps getting the details correct just need to make sure of correct position before I drill any fixing holes, I hope to fold the sheet steel for the new tool bin on Thursday so that I can make the end panel and door before it goes with your bin to my mate the blacksmiths to have the frames made, will have two new bckts made for you that takes the rubber stops at the same time :-D

Nice progress on the Bedford , I need also to fabricate the rear box for my Morris C4. Do you know there use on the back of 15 Cwt trucks ?

Is it possible that the wheel chains where kept in this box ass the top is open and not really water proof .

Luckily I also have a model to copy.

Guy

Yes Guy I think it is mentioned in the drivers manual although there is a pocket on the inside of the door which looks like it would have held this booklet although as you say it's open at the top and not weatherproof I have the chains but probably won't be keeping them in the bin :-D there is also mentioned a leather tool bag wether this was stowed in the cab or rear bin I am not sure.

Bit more progress on the rear storage bin I have an original MWC bin and was going to adapt it to fit the MW but thought it sacrilege to do so.

100_6397.jpg

Have opted to make a new one as I have the pattern.

100_6398.jpg

Its nice to be able to work in the garage at home for a change.

100_6395.jpg

this is the pocket for the drivers handbook which is located inside the locker door.

100_6396.jpg

Door is next on the to do list.

😁 yes the poor thing has had a hard life ( bit like the owner ) and that it's second set of replacement tops I made from oak hoping they would last a bit longer than the original ply ones.

I have enjoyed the tin work side of this restoration more than the woodwork as it's nice to try something different it's surprising how much timber is used in these trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Could'nt make the Dallas dig out today but did manage some odd jobs on the truck and now I have the mesh I can get on with the engine panels, a big THANK YOU to Colin Dix for making the cad drawing and Kevin for providing the dims :-D I have had extra sets made should anyone need some.

100_6406.jpg

Can't wait till next weekend and another session :-D.

100_6405.jpg