Bedford MWD restoration

Thanks Wayno, Managed another long afternoon today :D sorted the front tyres and front wings inc number plate starting to look like an MW again :-).

100_5886.jpg

I know the front tyres aren't quite correct but as I am still looking for a pair of tracgrips these will do for now.

100_5887.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After visiting bovvy on Sat to see the Tiger in action.

100_5969.jpg

First visit down t'shed for a while and managed to do lots of small jobs on the MW.

100_5975.jpg

First off the aero screens at last !

100_5976.jpg

Then the piping along the bulkhead for the bonnet plus the holder for the spare spark plugs.

100_5978.jpg

Then the lower Bckts for the rifles and turn buckles for the access panels.

Now the Railway contract has come to an end I have my life back again :D

100_5981.jpg

Tried a SMLE in the clips just to check for clearances and gave the front end a final coat of paint before starting to look a the spare engine block I found in the Cotswolds this morning.

100_5992.jpg

This really did look like a boat anchor but after a good clean up its on standard bores is in good shape and is stamped with an MW prefix so looks like its going to be rebuilt as a spare unit. Likewise the crank is 20 thou undersize so should be able to use that as well.

Hi Jeremy,

First of all, very nice restoration you're doing! Always follow with great interest. I'm working on the gearbox of my MW at the moment and was wondering why you haven't sand blasted the compressor cooler on the gearbox (see page 9). It looks like it is all steel to me? I'm planning to sandblast the compete gearbox without taken it apart and cover some sensitive parts with ducktape and using fine grit. Any suggestions of other members are welcome too?

Regards,

Danny

Hi Jeremy,

First of all, very nice restoration you're doing! Always follow with great interest. I'm working on the gearbox of my MW at the moment and was wondering why you haven't sand blasted the compressor cooler on the gearbox (see page 9). It looks like it is all steel to me? I'm planning to sandblast the compete gearbox without taken it apart and cover some sensitive parts with ducktape and using fine grit. Any suggestions of other members are welcome too?

Regards,

Danny

Don't do it:stop:

Pete

Nice puzzling with the miring loom, a pity they don't make a model for my Morris C4. This will be home work then.

I fitted a loom from auto sparks on my QL and fitted without problems, Just have a good look in the workshop wiring diagram !

Guy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115342[/ATTACH]

Head and sidelights fitted along with spaghetti

I note the essential aid to any wiring job (Flask on the floor by the front wheel) I'd have thought you'd have a kettle rigged up by now though Jeremy :D.

Seriously though, very nice work, I learnt a long time ago that money and time spent on correct wiring saves a huge amount of heart ache and frustration later on.

keep the pictures coming

regards

Pete

Ha Ha yes Pete :D force of habit from working as a carpenter I always take a flask and sandwiches down the shed to work on the truck as its usually a full day.

The loom seems to be working out well so far with slight adjustments for indicators, will probably make a plug in set of removable rear indy/stop tail lights for road use and hang them on the rear tailgate to add extra safety.

As there was no loom to speak of on the pre restoration truck I had no choice but to commission a new one especially as I wanted it to look as original as pos.

Good wkend in and out of the shed, have sandblasted the bow hoops and a few other bits and bobs done some repairs and got it all etch primed and undercoated.

100_6036.jpg

Most of today has been spent sorting the loom out forward of the bulkhead, a time consuming but satisfying job :D

Well What a cracking weekend, Norton up on the first kick on saturday, Champ thing did the same just had to free the clutch off no probs took it for a good spin went like a watch :D

IMG_7678.jpg

Pre flight checks

IMG_7681.jpg

Ice cream top up stop

Now back to the MW resto today didn't seem to get a lot done as its only a week to go before we head out to Verdun and the Ardennes but have connected up the inst dash light fitting plus sorted out the seat adjuster.

100_6039.jpg

100_6038.jpg

Painted now will refit next session.

Still on with the wiring loom but have also completed the seat adjuster, trial fitted the seat squabs and backs and did some work on the radiator cover plus have fitted a spare rebuilt fuel pump and connected up all the new fuel lines.

100_6040.jpg

I utilised a champ pump lower casting to enable me to hand prime the carb, the rest is 28hp it should save the battery when I put some fuel in the tanks and sort out any teething troubles with fuel lines/joints etc, will swap out the brass cover for a glass one to enable me to monitor fuel flow on start up.

• 3 weeks later...

Took delivery of the steel tubing today ready to make my own canvas hoops plus some half round bar ready to make the rubbing strips.

!!

Hi great restoration .

Can you describe how you made the hoops ? ( pics if possible ) The bending of the steel tubing . Thanks Mike

Hi Mike

The cab hoops are originals I have yet to make the rear hoops and will post up some blow by blow pics when I have a go, I think Pete Ashby posted up a method of bending the tube on this site and that's how I'm going to do mine hopefully :nut:

RR.

Hi Mike

The cab hoops are originals I have yet to make the rear hoops and will post up some blow by blow pics when I have a go, I think Pete Ashby posted up a method of bending the tube on this site and that's how I'm going to do mine hopefully :nut:

RR.

Thank you

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?33907-Leyland-Retriever/page4&highlight=bending

Well its been a funny old week of trailers, farms and tyres, while looking for a small military trailer to tow behind the Champ or Jeep I came across an ad on Epay for an old farm trailer, on closer inspection I could see it that although the trailer was shot the wheels or more importantly the tyres were 9.00x16 Tracgrips which was great news as I've been looking for a second pair for nearly three years :-D, the bad news was that they were in Derbyshire :wow: !!

rueps trailer 2.jpg

rueps trailer.jpg

That was Tuesday / Weds when I happened to mention the trailer to a workmate he told me about an old military water tanker trailer on the estate so a quick trip out at lunchtime and I came across this under an oak tree in a farmers field.

011.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

Turns out to be Canadian and I hope to save it.

Its Saturday and a day working roofing then off to a farm in Derbyshire on Sunday to bring these home.

006 (2).jpg

009 (2).jpg

Have just got these back after a quick 280 mile round trip ! they look a bit scabby but will clean up, have no cracks and very good tread. Ruep the farmer cut the axle just behind the brake plate so I have two complete hubs which look like Chev or Ford CMP.

Ah yes and before I forget whist talking to the steel fixers again at work they have put me on to a small military trailer that's been in storage for years, but that's another story :-D.

On the restoration front I have had the bckts for the cab hoops made so can now fit the the bckts and frames to check the fit of the front canvas.

Time for a glass of red and some spag bol.

Edited by rampant rivet