Bedford MWD restoration

Spent far to long down t'shed according to the boss today :cool2:

100_6240.jpg

Started making the top side panels for the rear body today in the glorious sunshine :-D

P8270026.jpg

100_6241.jpg

I always think that I will achieve more than I actually get done, but it is starting to take shape now.

I always think that I will achieve more than I actually get done, but it is starting to take shape now.

Bah Humbug...... your restos are always quickly achieved :-D. Great to watch

Which brings me to the next point of interest, what's your plans for the next one :cool2:

Yep this one will probably only have taken four years to complete :-D though I have to say that I have taken it slowly, as for the next project I don't think that there will be one for quite a while, I want to concentrate on the vehicles I already have and enjoy them but you never know what may turn up maybe another motorcycle who knows :cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

Well some more progress , have fuel in the tank and up to the carb, oil in engine, diff and gearbox, just the temp and oil gauge to fit then I can fill the rad. brake bleeding next then possibly get the old girl out of the shed for the first time in a while.

Have also fitted new rubber seals to the steering linkage, a job I should have done a while ago but have only just got around to, and have greased all my nipples a lovely job !!!!!

2016-09-14 16.13.19.jpg

2016-09-10 13.32.42.jpg

Popped down to Ross on sat to our local auto jumble and though the weather was foul managed to find some goodies not much Bedford related but some nice NOS. levers for the Norton and a nicely sectioned mills bomb.

Well some more progress , have fuel in the tank and up to the carb, oil in engine, diff and gearbox, just the temp and oil gauge to fit then I can fill the rad. brake bleeding next then possibly get the old girl out of the shed for the first time in a while.

Have also fitted new rubber seals to the steering linkage, a job I should have done a while ago but have only just got around to, and have greased all my nipples a lovely job !!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118741[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118740[/ATTACH]

Popped down to Ross on sat to our local auto jumble and though the weather was foul managed to find some goodies not much Bedford related but some nice NOS. levers for the Norton and a nicely sectioned mills bomb.

Hi Jez Whats the data plates ?....( Passenger wooden door ost ...hint hint ;););) )

One plate is AM but no idea what it's off the other I am researching as regards to your door timber sorry no sign of it so far.

Great day down't shed today temp gauge fitted, rad filled, brakes bled and after a bit of fettling managed to get some electricity from batttery to coil and had the engine running again but ran out of time before I could take it out of the workshop for the first time maybe weds.

At last it moves, today was the day it moved under its own power for the first time in years

bedford first outing 002.jpg

As its tight up against some shelving I had to drive her out to be able to complete the rear wheel arch and timber work to the drivers side of the body.

bedford first outing 013.jpg

I must admit I did have a bit of a smile on knowing that the clutch seems to be ok and it has 4 gears and reverse.

bedford first outing 007.jpg

I also managed to get the horn push assembly sorted and after replacing the new non working horn with the original item it now has a toot.

bedford first outing 014.jpg

bedford first outing 004.jpg

100_6247.jpg

100_6249.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Dave here is a rough diagram of how I think the horn button parts go together

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119688[/ATTACH]

Thanks Jeremy thats a great help , appreciate it .

I can see what I need now to make it good and how it goes together .Should be able to knock the cone up out of some thikn copper sheet and find a tapered spring of sorts.

Dave

Edited by Davey089

An evening down't shed and it looks like the water pump issue is sorted thank goodness, ignition lamp now does what it should and learnt to check the fuse in the voltage regulator when the generator stops charging the battery, refurbished pick handle and shovel fitted in cab :-D

Hi Dave Here are the parts for your horn thingy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119861[/ATTACH]

First picture shows roughly how it goes together ( sideways )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119862[/ATTACH]

The spring may be a bit on the strong side and may need adjusting.

Thanks Jeremy thats a big help :tup::, I'll get down to the local engineering supply shop and get hold of some copper sheet to make the cone.

Dave

First cold night down t'shed + 1.5 deg brrrrrrr still managed to join up some more random wires and electrickery is now flowing to headlights and sidelights :-D.

20161102_174520.jpg

20161102_174457.jpg

Had a problem with getting the sidelghts to do what they should untill I traced a loose fuse holder on the bulkhead, rear lights are next. Am going to fit modern rear stop, tail ,indicators alongside the original rubbolite units,they will be detachable when the vehicle is at a show etc

Had a good morning rustling a decent 9.00 x 16 trakgrip and two decent rims for the MW thanks Lars

100_6367.jpg

Then down t'shed to start work on the new rear lights, the idea is that they can be removed quickly at shows leaving the just the original rubbolite ones on show.

100_6369.jpg

100_6368.jpg

knocked up a couple of bckts to hold them in place.

100_6372.jpg

Plumbed them up, and to hide the 7 pin trailer socket and to store the light units safely when not in used I intend to fix an old .303 ammo box up against the side of the body behind the rear wheel arch and bring power up to it from the lucas junction box at the end of the chassis.

100_6373.jpg

Will try to connect them up weds eve to see if I can get the electrickory to flow :-D but have to decide where to locate the indicator switch and may add a power socket for charging phones or sat nav etc :wow: if I can find somewhere discreet to fit it.

Edited by rampant rivet

Thanks to some sound advice from father I now have electrons flowing to the rear lights.

lukes sauna and bedford 018.jpg

Even managed to get the indicators to blink after fettling the switch a bit, just need to decide its position, practicality over originality ???

Yes that is my mates Jaguar XKR hiding under the dust cover and yes it does go like ****e off a shovel :cool2: a lovely Gentleman's conveyance :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Busy day in't shed replaced the flasher unit I managed to fry whilst getting the indicators to work, then thought it about time to do some D.I.Y. panel beating. I need to make four new mudguards so here goes, I am a complete novice at this so bear with me :-D

bedford rear mudguards 037.jpg

Luckily I had an original to use as a pattern.

bedford rear mudguards 039.jpgI

Made a couple of 18mm ply formers

bedford rear mudguards 038.jpg

Used the original holes to screw the ply steel ply sandwich together.

bedford rear mudguards 040.jpg

Edges dressed down

bedford rear mudguards 041.jpg

Sheet turned over then refixed and 4mm rod bent to shape

bedford rear mudguards 043.jpg

Then dress the edge over the wire.

bedford rear mudguards 047.jpg

Now the tricky tight radius took a while of gentle persuasion to form the corners.

bedford rear mudguards 048.jpg

With bracket will need to be trimmed to size before fitting, just another three to do :nut: doesn't look much for a days work but the next ones should go easier, hopefully.

bedford rear mudguards 050.jpg

Next up the engine side panels having proven the theory with the mudguards the radius on these should be easier to form.

bedford rear mudguards 051.jpg

Checking fit to front wing.

Great day at the malvern military fair, lots of nice bedford bits, thanks Pete :-D even found some nice N. O. S. Champ parts at reasonable prices but seemed to spend most of the time chatting to mates. Good to see it busy with lots of bin bags going out the door I must admit to succumbing to temptation and something .303 found its way home :-D

Don't miss the next exciting instalment folks, yes more panel beating, doh !