Hopeless inadequacy of online vehicle taxation

TooTallMike

Can we have a whole section in which to rant about the incompetence of the DVLA ?

I just tried to tax the WLF online using the the electronic reference number which THEY sent ME on the V11 form . I just submitted this feedback to their website.

<< My vehicle is exempt from MoT/plating & testing due to age and weight. The first page of your on-line vehicle taxation system gives an option of 'MoT certificate not applicable'. I clicked this and went through the process only to be told that my application couldn't be processed because an MoT certificate is required. Surely your highly efficient system should know that a vehicle which is MoT exempt cannot be taxed in this way so why have I been given an electronic reference number on my V11 ? >>

Never mind protesting about the Congestion Charge, how's about everyone refuses to pay their car tax until the DVLA is brought to account ?

Support your local sub-Post Office!

Never had a problem there & they are pleased to have your business. I see they have now been stripped of their role in issuing TV licences, so that will accelerate the closure of yet more of these small post offices which HMG seems determined to press on with. These little businesses struggle to survive yet provide a very useful service particularly in a rural community.

Re-taxing vehicles in a main Post Office, my experience is not good with exempt vehicles like ours they sometimes say it has to be done at a LVLO as it is too much effort to cope with the unusual as they are paid a bonus on the speed of getting customers past the counter.

I was told that my Chevrolet C8 was tax & MOT exempt but when I went to the post office they said I had to have an mot beore they would issue the tax disc, anyone know what the score is for taxing these types of vehicles?

If it's over 3.5 tonnes and built pre-Jan. 1960 it's MoT exempt. There are a few other exemptions but these are the ones relevant to you.

Under that weight it needs an MoT, younger than that it needs a plating & testing cert.

You can try to reason with PO staff but often it's easier just to apply by post.

I was told that my Chevrolet C8 was tax & MOT exempt but when I went to the post office they said I had to have an mot beore they would issue the tax disc, anyone know what the score is for taxing these types of vehicles?

Have a read of this thread http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=49&topic=742.msg4712#msg4712

• 1 year later...

Tried taxing my Lightweight on line shortly before I sold it.

Had a current MOT, reminder form with code number and logbook with code number and current insurance but on line system failed me with no explanantion.

No wonder there's so many un-taxed vehicles about with post offices closing and the system to replace them not working properly.

High time the Tax disc was done away with and replaced with an insurance disc in the windscreen.

No wonder there's so many un-taxed vehicles about with post offices closing and the system to replace them not working properly.

As said before, we should support the local post office, I live in a village where there is one left, and I always go there to tax any vehicle that I have, maybe more people should get off their backsides and do just that and then the slow erosion of our way of life will not happen.

Just a thought. :-D

I find one of the post offices near me, very helpful, the other shouldn't be closed, shot would be more use. It does seem a waste of a tree to have to print all the exemption form, then sign it then cart it to the PO just to have it given back. Point is probably a bit of burocracy. If for some reason you are questioned over MOT exemption and it was tick on line, you can say 'I didn't tick it!' Who can prove otherwise?:??? If it is taken to the PO looked at by a person and they tick the box, then you can't say I didn't se it'. (The law ain't much, but it is all we have)

Hi all,

not long done the jeep online no problems what so ever, i once did try at the local DVLA office and that was just an exercise of incompetence and beaurocratic time wasting. hen i voiced my thoughts to the counter staff they informed me i would be removed from the building unless i changed my attitude....so went home and did it online tootsweet :thumbsup: .

Ashley

My local post office - which is just over the road - is useless and , having amongst other things lost a logbook left in their care , I would never use again . I do , however use a PO nearer to the town who really are great and nothing I've ever taken in there has phased them ( And I too object to being told to go and pay for my tv licence etc at the garage/offy/papershop-what was wrong with paying at a proper establishment ?? ) The online service seems to be ok as long as it is something run of the mill you are taxing - I recently found that the system couldn't cope with an application for an agricultural vehicle because there was no MoT certificate number to enter & I ended up - having wasted time - back at the good old PO .

At the risk of incurring the wraths of most of the rest of the HMVF membership, I don't actually want to have to go to the Post Office. It is inconvenient, time-consuming and unnecessary. IMHO the only thing they are needed for is to post parcels. In this day and age there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do everything else online, be that taxing a truck, buying a TV license or applying for a passport. I don't see why I should have to go to a PO to tax a vehicle because the organisation's website is too incompetently written to be able to handle unusual but perfectly legal applications.

Discuss. :readpaper:

It isn't just the website, the whole dept is totally inept. After my Land Rover was stolen a couple of years ago I had a letter from them threatening me with a fine of several thousand pounds for not informing them. This despite the fact that they were informed by the police automated computer system and by my insurance company who had rec'd an acknowledgement to their letter. Needless to say a somewhat irate phone call ensued to the dept supervisor who initially stuck to his guns but when confronted with the evidence dissolved like a pricked balloon.

The vehicle has never been flagged up as 'stolen, recovered' as should have happened and this of course was reflected in the price obtained at the salvage company auction. I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I wholeheartedly agree - but this is politics so :-X

I'd disagree there I fear - I don't believe it is politics here

DVLA is a Gov't department, not the Gov't itself. Were we talking about planned changes to vehicle legislation then you'd be right - it would be politics and thus taboo.

However whats under discussion here (or so it seems to me) is the physical functioning of that department - and that is independent of whatever colour/flavour/brand of nincompoop is currently dominating parliament.

As - for us - the inadequacies of this department are a major headache then it seems a reasonable topic for discussion. The fun and games I'm currently having with DVLA and it's relative VOSA are well beyond a joke!! :argh: :argh:

In this day and age there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do everything else online, be that taxing a truck, buying a TV license or applying for a passport.

Discuss. :readpaper:

I also agree but we should have the choice to do so; there are still a lot of people that prefer to deal with cash and not use the dreaded plastic. The Queen’s currency is getting less accepted now. You can’t pay court fines, hire a car, pay parking tickets etc. with cash anymore. Having to tax your car on line just gives more power to the banks and credit industry.

I’ve only tried to tax the MV’s on line a couple of times, always failed with either no insurance listed or requires an MOT. Never had a problem with the local post office with accepting the V112G.

It’s not just the DVLA that needs to get its systems working in sync. A couple of weeks ago I tried to get the wife’s Focus taxed on line, but the DVLA system stated it could not find the MOT listed, however an on line check on the VOSA web site confirmed the car was MOT’ed, however I managed to tax my FL10 beaver tail on line but the VOSA site lists it as not having an MOT very weird.

Edited by Grumpy

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Cash is King the authoraties hate it,wont be long before we all have credits,dont laugh its on the way.:nono:

A couple of years ago, I sent original documents to DVLA to prove age etc of military vehicle. Thy lost them, but as I had sent them registered I had a date etc when delivered. DVLA wanted the original documents again! As these were on loan from a museum in Germany, this was not possible. I had the museum contact DVLA by email, DVLA said it was not good enough, original documents required!

German museum asked for compensation for the loss of orignial documents, DVLA refuse this.

Germans insist, DVLA "find" original documents. Vehicle issued reqistration, ducuments returned to museum, but damaged.

I was told that normally, once documents are scanned into the system, the orginals are destroyed!

So take care, and take things like original documents to your local VRO. Get them to copy etc, and have them send those to DVLA.

Also, when I tried to tax the above vehicle, not possible as the records did not exist!

A couple of years ago, I sent original documents to DVLA to prove age etc of military vehicle. Thy lost them, but as I had sent them registered I had a date etc when delivered. DVLA wanted the original documents again! As these were on loan from a museum in Germany, this was not possible. I had the museum contact DVLA by email, DVLA said it was not good enough, original documents required!

German museum asked for compensation for the loss of orignial documents, DVLA refuse this.

Germans insist, DVLA "find" original documents. Vehicle issued reqistration, ducuments returned to museum, but damaged.

I was told that normally, once documents are scanned into the system, the orginals are destroyed!

So take care, and take things like original documents to your local VRO. Get them to copy etc, and have them send those to DVLA.

Also, when I tried to tax the above vehicle, not possible as the records did not exist!

Interesting story! Just for information and to leap to the defence of the DVLA (I must be going soft) they will return original documents if requested (assuming they've not lost them in the interim) hence I still have all the original French log books for the truck.

- Mike

My understanding is that the great DVLA computer is sort of "intellligent" in that it (very slowly albeit) gradually learns to adapt to constant declarations by exasperated applicants, and other input.

An example is that one of my work vehicles, after 10 odd years of having to declare that no MOT is needed (for special types), has eventually been so marked on the renewal notice.

And don't forget they make you declare certain things as a sort of "self-policing" policy - the onus is on you to work within the legislation rather than them having to interpret and advise you. Particularly relevant to grey areas like our green machines. Ho hum.

Just don't give up.