Landrover 109" Series 3 FFR

Well - things go from dire to unspeakbly dire.. :shake: :shake:

Not only do I still NOT have an engine installed but I'm now in the deepest level of cack with the wife it's possible to be without the "D" word being mentioned. Got her to give me a hand today and after 3 hours work she was applying pressure to a length of 2x2 to push the engine back - ans it snapped sending her flying back into a bad fall - badly scraped elbows and bruised backside resulting. And this on top of the exhaust on her beloved Exploder gettting damaged leaving the W&P grounds on Saturday.

Not sure my hearing will ever recover.....

And as for the Landrover - nothing I had as a pry bar would fit in the confined space so - out came the engine again, off came the engine mountings inc. the N/S engine bracket and back in she went. This time I checked the engine rotation every time it moved as well. Got back as far as having a >0.5" approx gap all the way around - and it won't go any further back plus the engine will no longer rotate :cry: :cry:

I'm rapidly running out of ideas now - only got four days this week to get it in & everything reassembled - incl. fitting the oil cooler where none has been before then get her MOT'd and taxed.

Got a real bad feeling the W&P registration fee for this one has been wasted..... :cry: :-(

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rain has stopped play for tonight. Well - to be more precise - the rather inmpressive display of thunder and lightning that broke directly overhead coupled with my well-honed sense of self-preservation stopped play tonight

BUT!! The good news is we have an engine in the Landie that bolted in and down and still rotates!! Big thank you to Stuart for this one - he rung me up today and asked if I'd checked the clutches were OK. Needless to say they were different. :oops:

So much for interchangeabilty. Mines is a S3, engine came from an S2A - clutch assembly was twice the depth on the new engine. So - swapped them over and in she went sweet as a nut!!!

If I can work out how to fit the oil cooler tomorrow then we might be in with a chance of her being ready for W&P after all.....

So much for interchangeabilty. Mines is a S3, engine came from an S2A - clutch assembly was twice the depth on the new engine.

If I can work out how to fit the oil cooler tomorrow then we might be in with a chance of her being ready for W&P after all.....

Neil,

I was wondering if it was a clutch problem, but never gave it a thought that it was a 2a clutch, at least its in.

Oil cooler...............very distant memory, used to build heaps of these engines, all variations, am I correct in thinking that there is a spacer between the oil filter head and block, with pipe fitting for hoses to cooler attached? If so you only need swap this spacer over and utilise the longer bolts. Now I cant remember whether you wanted cooler fitted or not :dunno:

Given recent issues with cooling on little maud I'm thinking having the oil cooler is a good idea Richard.

What I seem to have is a pipe fitting tapped into the block that runs up the o/s of the engine and another form somewhere that appears just in front of the thermostat on the N/S. On the front X-member I've got 2 plates with 2 holes in each welded in place. Not sure if the holes are tapped for a thread or if self tapping screws have been used. (parts manual I have refers to #10 thread forming screws to secure the coler itself in place.)

There are no brackets of any ind on the radiator panel which I assumed/was told would be there for the top mounts??

Neil,

It is over 11 years since I was regularly working on these older Rovers, but I do seem to think there was a flexy armoured oil pipe from the sump, adjacent to the oil temp sender and drain plug. Thinking on, there must have been only one fitting on spacer between filter and block.

Not sure what you mean about a tapping by thermostat housing, that sounds like a water connection, no oil pressure galleries up top except rocker feed. :dunno:

Cheers mate!!!

Well - we have progress tonight!! Everything is in, I think the oil cooler is plumbed in correctly and it's not leaking. Just need to finish bolting the rad panel to the N/S wing. Had to change the fuel pump over as the one on the new lump wasn't doing t*ss all as regards moving fuel.

However - I suppose expectedly - once the fuel pump issue was resolved I then found there was no spark at the plug!!!! Best guess right now is that the black box atop the engine is U/S so I shall swap them over tomorrow morning and see what happens.........

Its a Landrover. :whistle: I would check the door striker plate first. They tend to move and the door shuts but with a gap.

You mean they CAN be made to close WITHOUT a GAP :shake:

where's the fun in that? You'd stay dry in the rain and loose the Land Rover neck from the draught.

Swapped the rectifier over this morning - still no joy. Next point of call is the condenser - but - the one on the other engine is totally different being a one peice thing together with the points. Went shopping (or at least the wife did this afternoon) and only one spares place was interested in helping - they may have one mid-day tomorrow otherwise it will be sometime next week!!

Oh rats!! :cry: Fingers crossed that it comes in tomorrow afternoon after all this!!!! :-)

Neil,

You say no spark at plug, have you actaully checked to see if there is feed to the ignition, before the black box and also at the points? Condensors do not usually fail completely, my guess is that it is something simple.

Yep - got 24.2 volts feed into the black box and into the coil . Got the condenser here in front of me and where it joins the metal connector tag the insulation has been worn away by the rotor arm and over half the copper strands have parted......

Have you thought about Jolley Engineering electronic points? I fitted them to my Dodge, oh boy are they worth it. Speack to Frank he is a fund of knowledge and so helpful.

http://www.classicheads.com/

Yes Tony - it's on the list for both the Landrover and the Stalwart!!! Right now I'm trying to get the Landie running before Friday night so the wife and daughter have something to get them to W&P next week.

Cheers Richard :-D

Problem right now seems to be finding one... The wife did the tour of all the local spares shops for me this afternoon - only one was interested in helping and they MIGHT be able to get one by midday tomorrow - if not it won't be till next week. Bit too late!!!

Tried the one from the engine that came out - but it had been converted to an ordinary dizzy and the condensor in that was in one piece with the points set....

Success!! We have ignition!!!! And an arm thats still tingling from the 24v belt it got.....

For an engine that was supposed to be running I've had to take the complete fuel system AND the complete ignition system off the engine that came out to get to this point. Spent 2/3 of the day hunting a condenser without success so decided to swap the coil and distributor over - not as simple as it sounds as the new lump had the screened systen whislt the old had been converted to a civvy set-up. however - set both the engines with the TDC marks aligned, and the rotor arms pointed in the same direction the swapped the dizzies over followed by the coils. Tried to start and nothing... :-( Took the cap off and checked for spark at the points - nothing. At this point I was about ready to get the large sledge hammer out then I remembered looking at the condenser yesterday. Looking again revealed the retaining screw was loose. tightened it up, turned on the ignotion, flicked the points with a screw driver - and got a belt up the arm!!

AHA!!! thinks I - after the cursing stops - this looks promising so I put the cap back on, turned the key and she fired up sweet as anything!! :-D :-D

Now all thats needed is for there to be a free slot at the MOT station tomorrow and we are go for Sunday night and the trip to the W&P show!!!

(on the debit side - today was the first day I didn't tie the bonnet back. just finishing up, wind gusted, blew it closed and destroyed the LCD panel in my multimeter. Any one recommend a good place to get digital multimeters reapired???)

Cheers Ashley!! :-D :-D

One thing is certain - provided I can get her MOT'd tomorrow and thus allow the wife to bring her to the show next Friday - you won't be able to mistake her for any other landie there - the grease marks on the paint are quite un-mistakeable!! :-D :-D :-D

One thing is certain - provided I can get her MOT'd tomorrow and thus allow the wife to bring her to the show next Friday - you won't be able to mistake her for any other landie there - the grease marks on the paint are quite un-mistakeable!! :-D :-D :-D

Well at least she (the landie)should be waterproof...time for some wading !!!! on he off road course :-D

Ashley