Landrover 109" Series 3 FFR

but the speedo's not working, heater is on full bore (no joke for a car built to survive arctic temps) and the idle control is up the creek again. :-( :-( Guess I'll be going back Monday night to see them again.....

Sounds like you need a box of matches ;-) ;-)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil found these but they only have 12 hours to go as of 9.30 this morning

BONNET PULL CATCHES LANDROVER SERIES AND EX-MILITARY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190105830695&rd=1&rd=1

Go for it mate.

Now just get that car going or maybe you can persuade SWMBO to take the caravan and you to the Plains instead of where she is already booked in.

(Will also give everyone who reckons they have the same wife to check that it is not the case ) :evil:

Thanks John - bids in, highest with 20 mins to go!!

Good plan for the wife - but she's already booked herself into a rally for the weekend out Fobbing way. :roll: Got to take her + 'van down Friday and site the van for her. :-)

Whats the plans for the drive down Sat morning if I can get the Saab fixed in time???

Thanks John.

Was a good night last night - scored those bonnet catches off eBay, after finding out Lee had sorted my nightmare for me re. the clutch master and then got a 2nd chance offer on the manual for radio installations in the FV623/3/4 for £11 :-) :-)

Oh yes - and Virgin Media have put Babylon 5 on their on Demand list. How good can life get??? :-) :-) :-)

Got home tonight - to find a little spill mark under the landie, just by the rear of the drivers door edge that stinks of petrol. Had a look underneath but there was no visible sign of leakage. Thumped the bottom of the tank a couple of times and petrol appeared to splash out of the gap between the skid plate and tank bottom. Wiped it off and there as still nos ign of anything dripping. Odd or what!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well - thanks to a bunch of German managers upsetting me today we now have working brakes on the landrover. Got so uptight and stressed I just walked out and got on with it. Could have done with out the cold rain and winds though. :-( :-(

Could also have done without the neighbour walking past and calling out "think your big ends have gone"!!! :oops:

However it does look like there is a slight leak from the fuel tank (drivers side) towards the rear as when the front was lifted on the jack it started weeping again. Think I need to drain that tank out into the passenger side one and get some of that POR-15 sealant in there. Anything more than 10 litres causes a weep when sitting flat & level.

• 1 month later...

OK - off work again tomorrow so if the weather holds I'll be draining the sump off, removing it and then dismantling the big ends to see why they are knocking. If I'm lucky - fingers and everything crossed - I'll be able to get away with just replacing the shells.

If I'm unlucky then the crank will need some work and I will have to drop the g/box and clutch/flywheel etc. Time presses on that score so it might be a garage job :-o

So - all the crossing of things in support would be much appreciated!! :-)

If I'm unlucky then the crank will need some work and I will have to drop the g/box and clutch/flywheel etc. Time presses on that score so it might be a garage job :-o

Neil,

Having looked after hundred's of these L/Rovers for Her Majesty's Forces, I can tell you the easiest way to do a crank job is to pull the engine out. If you remove the transmission, flywheel and housing, there is nothing to support the rear of the engine, then the timing cover has to come off and there is nothing to support the front end. At least when it is out and turned on its side, the job is much quicker and easier to do.

Thanks Richard - I had a "senior moment" there and completely forgot the timing cover part :oops: :oops: :oops:

Original plan has gone out the window as it's p*ss*ing down with rain today!! Working for the next 3 days getting the Fourth Reich out of the sh*t agan (only 14 days left though...) then Thursday PM it's off to the powder mills... So time is getting short to have her up and running for Beltring :-(

Well - despite getting rained on - sometimes heavily every few minutes - the sump is off and the center two big ends have the nuts removed. So far so good.

But how on earth do I split the bearing caps to get the bearings out and check the journal faces?? Tried all the usual things but no joy.

Also - are the big end bolts/nuts reuseable or do I need to replace them too???

Well - despite getting rained on - sometimes heavily every few minutes - the sump is off and the center two big ends have the nuts removed. So far so good.

But how on earth do I split the bearing caps to get the bearings out and check the journal faces?? Tried all the usual things but no joy.

Also - are the big end bolts/nuts reuseable or do I need to replace them too???

Neil,

Loosen the big end cap nuts off and gently tap them on the end to drive the bolts back slightly, you will find the caps will come loose then. The bolts and nuts are reusable, but check that the bolts are not stretched at the waisted parts, usually visible. Have you felt any excess movement before loosening the nuts off?

Neil,

Loosen the big end cap nuts off and gently tap them on the end to drive the bolts back slightly, you will find the caps will come loose then. The bolts and nuts are reusable, but check that the bolts are not stretched at the waisted parts, usually visible. Have you felt any excess movement before loosening the nuts off?

Only fore and aft on #3 Richard - thats the one with the thrust washers. Other 3 "feel" OK.

Thrust washers? That is the main bearing, I thought you were asking about big ends? Sounds like it is a later, 5 bearing block, if you mean No.3 main.

Nope - it's the early 3-bearing lump. The big ends on #3 piston have a disc either side, numbers 1,2 & 4 do not - so I assumed they were thrust washers - possibly the wrong terminolgy??

Went to try Johns advice about tapping with a soft faced hammer - and can't find it - I think I must have left it in the cab or load bed of the Stalwart... :|

Neil,

Not sure if I suggested this before, but these engines were known to produce a knock, which could be taken as an end going, when what it actually was, was the bolt / starting handle dog, which secures the crank pulley being loose. This in turn clamps the crank sprocket in place against No. 1 Main bearing journal. The knock was due to the sprocket rocking on the drive key, with the on-off load of the camshaft. Worth checking before going any further, just jam a block of wood between the crank and crankcase in order to tighten the pulley firmly.

Nope - lucks running true to form...... Bolt was tight as could be. And I got bl**dy soaked by the rain that started as son as I went outside.

However in checking the nut the engine got rotated a couple of time leaving no's 1 and 4 at BDC - and grabbing #4 big end resulted in noticeable movement this time. #1, 2 and 3 were tight as anything still.

On the +ve side though - I found the soft mallet I thought I'd left in the Stalwart so after the daughter Mk1's riding lesson tomorrow night I can have a go at "persuading" the shells to part company!!

Got the bearing shells out today - looks like #4 was the culprit. Ever seen bearing shells polished bright on BOTH sides?? Photos below aren't so good but they should show the difference. Also there was a piece mssing from one edge, looks like a retainer and sheared off. And the shells are about half the thickness of the other three pairs. Luckily the journal face seems to be OK so I think I'm going to be lucky and be able to just replace the shells.

Which raise the next question - the shells that came out aren't marked as a size - just as the following:

A symbol in a circle followed by A4746 on one half of the pair of shells

Rover 534490 on the other half

Any one know if these refer to the part number for the correct bearing size???

width=640 height=446http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/Bearing_shells_006.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=329http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/Bearing_shells_002.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=335http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/Bearing_shells_001.jpg[/img]

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but no4 has been spinning in the con rod Both the con rod and crank will worn New shells will last for a short while but you'll be stripping it again

I know :cry: But a short while will do me right now - as long as it lasts to get the wife and daughter to and from Beltring I'll be happy. Once thats over I'll have the time to remove the engine and get the crank reground, in fact probably do a total overhaul!!

Maybe even have time to source another engine so the vehicle will be useable whilst doing so....